Article

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

All the time we were on the road, Yoona was silent. I wasn’t comfortable with that. So I asked, “What’s with the no sound?”

 

She didn’t answer so I looked at her and found out she’s closing her eyes. I don’t know if she was just pretending or simply sleeping. But then, I chose not to push more.

 

When we got there, I parked the car just outside their house. She opened her eyes and looked outside.

 

“Can I come in?” I asked.

 

She looked at me and shrugged. I don’t know what’s with her. We got down and I locked my car. When I was on the doorway, I smelled the aroma of marinated chicken so I knocked.

 

“Wait a minute,” I heard Yoona’s mom said.

 

Yoona remained silent. When the door opened, she merely smiled and greeted her mother. Her mother was happy to see her daughter after almost a year.

 

“Jessica,” her mom acknowledged me. She hugged me, too and I hugged her back. “It’s so nice to see you again, princess.”

 

My eyes went wide. How’d she know?

 

I looked over at Yoona while entering their house. Her mother seemed to notice so she said, “Yoona was calling me when she was there. Did it bother you a lot, Darling?”

 

I gave a look and shook my head. “No. It’s okay.”

 

“And I heard about you and Donghae. I’m sorry.”

 

I nodded. “It’s all right.”

 

Yoona took my hand and led me upstairs. “Mom, just call us if you need something. We’re just upstairs.”

 

We went to her room and my mouth dropped because of what I saw. Yoong…

 

In her room, there were photos of me and Yoona on the walls. All the memories were pasted. She even has a big photo of us making a heart sign in the beach. We were wearing white dresses and my hair was braided while she didn’t even touch hers, left it hanging. We looked so happy. And I was aware tears were forming in my eyes. I looked over at her and said, “What are you, a lesbian?”

 

She laughed and hugged me tight while tears dripping like a faucet of tears. I cried, too and hugged her tighter. “I missed you, Jess.”

 

I laughed. “You witch, so dramatic!”

 

I parted the hug and wiped her tears away. “I’m sorry,” I muttered.

 

She shrugged and said, “I can’t be mad at you for so long.”

 

I pinched her cheeks and said, “I love you, you know. You’re my best friend whether when I’m Jessica or even Sooyeon. Or both.”

 

We laughed and lay down on her bed. We sighed.

 

But then she asked me again about him. “You want to see him, right?”

 

And this time, I chose not to lie about my true feelings. Yoona know me so well. She’s my best friend. We are best friends. “Yeah, but not because of the descriptions how he looks now.”

 

“Yeah, right,” she said. “Because it will hurt your ego.”

 

Probably. But mainly it’s because I don’t care what he looks like or what his status is or what profession or whatever. I’d like the old Suho, the simple boy.

 

“Jessica,” she called.

 

“Hmmmm?”

 

“Will you promise me not to get hurt again? Will you promise me not to turn away from your happiness?”

 

I wasn’t able to answer. I was thinking if maybe I could do that. But then, it’s Yoona who’s asking me. She’s just concerned of me, my broken heart.

 

Firmly, I nodded. “I promise.”

 

--

 

Later that day, I decided to stay a night with her family. I really love them as much as I love Yoona. I always thank them for having such a wonderful lady. For me, Yoona is the sister I never had.

 

I changed into PJ’s and lay beside Yoong. We chatted for minutes before finally deciding to sleep. But I couldn’t sleep. I thought of Suho.

 

I got my phone and contemplated with myself if I should really search about him, what happened after her went back here. Yoona’s mom once brought out about him. But Yoona actually drifted the conversation to something else.

 

But her mom mentioned of him being so famous in Cali and here. She even added that her former classmate was being linked to her. I don’t know which one.

 

I finally decided to search about him. I googled his real name and there, articles about him greeted my eyes. I opened one having a title of ‘Kim Joon Myeon, or Doctor Henry Kim is a catch!’

 

It was all about his achievements. It was all about his life in Cali. He even has an English name. Henry. Not bad. It still suits him.

 

When I scanned his photos I noticed that my neighbor was right all along. He had changed a lot. His body was far from that Suho I know. He looked so manly. Then I noticed that he’s famous with women.

 

Yeah, right. I always knew that.

 

But then I saw something.

 

He and a woman; I know her. She’s Chorong. She’s the girl who kissed Suho the night of Tae’s party. Great, it feels like I’m the villain in their love story. Finally they became an item. Bull.

 

I rolled my eyes and switched off my phone. Ugh. I tried my best to forget about that stupid article. It said that Suho didn’t confirm nor deny it. Whatever! I know Suho is still in love with me.

 

That night, I slept peacefully.

 

-0-

 

#3