The Place

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

JESSICA

 

Hwang Siwon . . .

 

I just can't get him out of my head and the thoughts of him kept swamping in my head. This isn't happening to me. I'm done with all of this and I know I just can't.

 

To keep him out of my head, I wandered around the town, the place where I've been feeling the ordinary life that had been my lifelong dream. Living in Sylvania is a lot more complicated than living in this town, the Jackson. People are dressed in simple wardrobes while in Sylvania, dresses are being requied for ladies, especially myself as a person who has a position. Those times when I was there, I've been really disturbed of the thoughts of other people and their criticism about my attitude and personality. I mean, I'm not perfect, so why do you care about my misfit?

 

The autumn breeze brushed through my skin and I felt shiver all over. In this kind of place, people are used to being so scared of woods and trees everywhere, but in my case, it feels like safe. So I walked through the trees and went to my favorite spot, a big tree where I have carved my name on its branch.

 

I took a look at my carving and i smiled when it was still there. Jung Sooyeon

 

It's been decades! Jung Sooyeon, I'm sorry I need to hide you, I need to use my other name. I really need to live a simple life. I guess, sticking to my old name will not make any less home. SO it's better to have my name as Jessica. That way, no one and there's no other thing that'll remind me of the kingdom.

 

Then it hits me. Donghae . . .

 

Dammit! Why do I need to remember him? I bet he's happy now with someone else. What was her name? I don't know. I can't remember, and I don't wanna know. Donghae . . . I guess I should really let you go. I trusted you enough and now, let go.

 

A tear fell rom my eye, followed by other one then so on. I finally said, "Good bye, Donghae."

 

~

 

I was walking down the streets of the town, while hugging myself. It seems like it's getting colder outside so I ran as fast as I could to enter my shop. I was hoping to see Yoona there but there was no sign. But I saw a boy, sitting by the sofa. He stood up as he acknowledged my presence. He seemed really familiar, with him smiling at me, I just can't help but to smile also.

 

It'll be so rude of me if I didn't.

 

"Hi, may I help you?" I asked.

 

He smiled even wider and he's cute though. "Ahh, yeah. I was waiting for you, Miss Jessica. Don't you remember me?"

 

I was confused for a moment, trying to remember this boy. I wasn't able to remember him but he spoke, "I'm Suho. Kim Taeyeon's brother."

 

"Ahh, yeah. I'm sorry. Have your seat, Suho." I said to him, motioning him to take his seat. i sat on the other side of the sofa. He kept on smiling and it suited him so Igot amused by him.

 

"So, what do you need?"

 

He took a breath. "I was asking if you're accepting catering of strawberry cake for my sister. It'll be a surprise so i hope you won't tell her . . ."

 

By that, I thought he's a sweet boy. I don't know about his age but I heard he's on his last year with his studies. I've heard about the Kim,  people here talked about them alot. And it was so tragic that their parents died to early. I guess Suho was still 5 years. I'm not really sure. Somebody just told me that.

 

"Hmm, yeah. Sure, no worries," I said to him.

 

His smile grew wider and he said, "Thank you, thank you. I just want to thank my noona for everything, you know," he said. I nodded. "I've been  through rough times, really. But Tae noona never leaves me so I'd like to give her something and since she knows you for your baking skills, I thought you might help me with that."

 

"Of course. I'm delighted. Baking is my passion, really. It's simple, and it's a mixed-up emotions I got there,
" I said, poiting to the baking station. He smiled and nodded.

 

"Yeah . . ." Is it just me or he's staring at me? I don't know. I don't wanna jump into conclusions, though.

 

"So, anything?"

 

He seemed to came back to his senses and stoo up, "None, I guess." i stood up too, to accompany him to the door. "So, hmm. . . yeah . . .--"

 

"What is it, Suho?" I had the urge to push through.

 

He stepped forward to teh door, trembling, stuttering and all and I find it really weird. I thought he has some kind of disease. Or he's sick. . . His face turned pale and he seemed unfocused . . .

 

"Suho, are you okay?" I asked.

 

He looked at me. "Oh!! Yeah! Yeah! I'm okay," he said and reassured me with his smile that i always find so cute.

 

He acted so weird all of the sudden so I laughed a bit. "You're so cute, Suho. You're being weird," I commented. "I mean, that good weird. Good weird."

 

"Really?"

 

I nodded. A chuckle escaped his lips. "So, can I say something really weird?"

 

I was stunned but I nodded. He showed me his smile again, "May I invite you for a breakfast date tomorrow?"

 

Shock was written all over my face. Breakfast date? What's that? He's the only guy who wants a breakfast date. Most of the boys want dinner date. But I find it cool and it's rude to say no to someone who wants my help so I said, "Yeah. Sure. No problem."

 

"Great. Is 6:45 AM okay?"

 

"Pretty much okay," I lied. I hate waking up early but I'm being nice here. I've been raised like that.

 

~

 

A moment after Suho went out, Butler Yondong came in with a serious expression. "What is it, Butler Yondong?"

 

"Who's that boy?"

 

The thought got me but I shook it away. "He's my friend. Why?"

 

He walked towards me and sat on the other side of the sofa where Suho was seated earlier. "I got a news from home," he said. I nodded.

 

"What is it?"

 

"Someone from an enemy's clan is looking for you."

 

"Then?"

 

"Miss Jung, that boy might be one of them."

 

As much as I want to believe, I just can't. He has no reason and because of the tragedy he encountered, no way. "Butler, do not jump into conclusion."

 

"I'm sorry, Miss Jung. The said part is, we don't have any idea who is this someone. And you cannot blame me for accusing anyone. My duty is to protect you, Miss Jung."

 

"Yeah. I understand. It's okay."

 

~~~~~~~