Slip Away

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” he said, taking a sip from his wine.

 

We’re in the rooftop of this 5-star hotel and restaurant. From the top, the small town of Jackson can be seen clearly. It’s beautiful in the evening. It’s quiet and small. I love Jackson.

 

“Shut up, Siwon. You bought me jewelry and I’m pretty sure it costs 50K. Do you realize that?”

 

Yes. You read it right. When I opened the paper bag, I’ve found a box of jewelry that I know that is really expensive.  I started calling him then but he didn’t answer any of my calls.

 

“My, my Jessica, Calm down,” he said.

 

“I can’t, not until you take this back!” I said, handing him the box. But he just looked at it without any interest.

 

He looked at me then to the box, then to me. “Fine, I bought it for you. And no. I won’t take it back. That’s my gift,” he said and sipped his own wine.

 

“But you have already given me gifts, three to be exact. Including this,” I said, trying to give it back to him but he didn’t get it. I glared at him.

 

“Sica, it’s okay. I don’t care about the money I’m spending for and with you. When it’s you, I really don’t care about wealth,” he said.

 

I felt awkward but I know I shouldn’t be.

 

I just shook my head saying, “I can’t do anything to change your mind, can I?”

 

“Absolutely, you cannot. So, let’s just enjoy this night. Okay?”

 

I didn’t say anything. I looked down to my plate. There’s something wrong in this plate. I know. I can smell it. I can feel it. It feels so wrong.

 

It’s. . . NO!

 

I pushed my plate and yelled, “Cucumbers!”

 

Siwon’s wine dripped over his suit. Omo~ his shirt!!

 

He automatically asked me without caring about his shirt. “What?”

 

I glared at him and said, “Jerk! Why does my food have cucumbers?”

 

I covered my nose and stood up, away from my food. He was confused though. “Let me see,” he said and got my plate. “Aish, that chef. I told them not to put cucumbers.”

 

I saw his jaw tensed. Is he mad? Yes. He is.

 

He put down my plate and called a waiter. I watched as how he delivered his words. He’s kinda mad. I gulped.

 

What is he going to say to the chef? Is he going to shout at him?

 

Moments later, the chef appeared and I can clearly see how nervous that chef is. Siwon remained seated on his seat earlier. He’s serious.

 

I started to walk over to the table and just say it’s okay than to see this chef being scolded.

 

But he spoke.

 

“You got the wrong information, Mr. Park? Please change our order. It seems like you have put cucumbers on our plates,” he said, calmly.

 

I was stood corrected. He’s not that kind of person I thought he is. He’s smooth and nice. He’s so nice.

 

The chef bowed his head. “I’m sorry, Mr. C—“

 

The chef stuttered. He stopped. But it didn’t let it pass by my two eyes. Siwon glared at him to cut him short. I wonder what the chef about to say was.

 

“Mister Siwon, I’m sorry. I’ll do whatever you want me to do just don’t let your father knows about this,” the chef said, bowing his head.

 

Siwon clicked his tongue and said, “Mr. Park, it’s gonna be all right. Next time, please pay close attention. Okay?”

 

“Thank you, Mr. Siwon. I’m sorry I have ruined your night,” he said.

 

“It’s gonna be okay. Just keep this. We’re just gonna go somewhere,” he said. He looked at me and smiled before saying, “Sica, you’re still hungry, right? We’re gonna go somewhere we could eat.”

 

“I-I—“

 

I was shocked when he took my hand. “Let’s go.”

 

I let him.

 

But wait . . . your father.

 

Does his family own this hotel?!