Holding It Back

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

DONGHAE

 

“Okay, we are set,” I said and slid behind the wheels beside Jessica. I am in the same car with her along with Suho and Tiffany. Siwon’s in the other car, trailing behind us with some of my men. We need to be secured.

 

Now, we are heading to Sylvania, to keep Jessica away from my father. I know that he’s not going to just let us be. He has something in mind and I am afraid I don’t know what he’s thinking and planning. The last time he planned something so evil was when Eunhyuk almost kidnapped her. I shook my head.

 

“Hae, are you okay?” I heard Jessica ask. I looked over at her and smiled. I nodded my head. She held my cheek and commented, “You look pale. Have you taken your breakfast?”

 

I nodded. “I did. I’m all right. Don’t worry too much,” I said.

 

She nodded her head and rested her head on my chest. Tiffany looked at me meaningfully and I know what’s on her mind. I nodded.

 

“Jessica,” I called. She answered me with an ‘hmm’. “I have to tell you something,” I started.

 

She sat up and stared at me. “What is it?”

 

“Remember what I said to you the other day?” she nodded. “I—I—aaargh!”

 

Damn it! Not now. I clutched my chest and shut my eyes closed. I heard Jessica asking me if I am okay but the pain is something I can’t endure. It hurts.

 

“STOP THE CAR!” Tiffany shouted. The car immediately went into a halt and I am curling, trying to erase the pain but it hurts.

 

I felt Jessica holding me, caressing my face and asking if I am all right and I can’t even tell if I am really okay. I have my eyes closed and I heard the door swung open.

 

“What happened?” That’s Siwon.

 

“I don’t know!” Jessica shrieked. But I know!

 

I opened my eyes and saw Tiffany, trying to get Jessica out of the car and luckily, she did. She needs to. I don’t want her to see me like this. “Suho, get Jessica out of the car!”

 

As soon as she’s out, Tiffany’s worry exceed her patience. She made me look at her, “Hae, look at me. Look at me,” she said, and calming me. I tried and forced to settle my gaze on her. “You need to be strong. Come on, Hae!”

 

But it really hurts. All I could do’s close my eyes and pray I won’t die in this place. “Donghae! Calm yourself! Just be okay now. Jessica will be sad and hurt. Be okay!”

 

I see tears starting in her eyes and I tried. I closed my eyes a little longer, silently prayed that I’ll be all right, and I pictured out Jessica’s face. Yes. I need to be strong. I need to be okay.

 

For Jessica, for Jessica, for Jessica.

 

As I breathe out, the pain is finally subsiding. I was breathing hard, sweating, until I felt that the pain is already gone. I looked at Tiffany and she smiled, “Good boy,” she patted my cheek. “Now, fix yourself. Jessica will ask so many questions,” she said and moved out.

 

I sighed and fixed my ruffled hair. I slowly headed out of the car and Jessica’s worried face greeted me. She ran to me and held my face between his palms. “Donghae, are you okay? What happened? What was that?”

 

I smiled and calmed her down. I took her hands and said, “I’m okay. Just a little heartburn.”

 

She stared at me and said, “Is there’s something wrong with your heart?”

 

I stiffened. What is she notice? I forgot Jessica is a smart girl. But I know it’s still not the right time. I shook my head and uttered, “Nope. It’s just that you got it from mine.”

 

She gave me a small smile before hugging me. I caressed her long and soft hair. But I hear her whisper, “Don’t keep things from me.”

 

I blamed myself. Somehow, I feel really guilty. I am making this hard for her and now I am keeping the thing that I know she should know in the first place. Donghae, you are so stupid.

 

I nodded and we headed back to the car. Suho took the seat in front beside the driver. We headed back to Sylvania.

 

Little we know, the King and Queen’s waiting outside their kingdom.