Again

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

 

JESSICA

 

It's been months since I finished my studies and it's already months since I left my home. I just can't deny I feel guilty over it but I want a normal life. A life where in the world accepts me for who I am, not for our status, my family's status.

 

I'm sorry Mom and Dad, I just want to be me, I guess.

 

"Jessi," Yoona waved a hand in front of me. "What are you thinking?"

 

"Oh, I'm sorry. What were you sayin'?"

 

She rolled her eyes and said, "I'll stop talking if you're going to zone out again. I'm serious."

 

I laughed. That look on her face is just hilarious. Yoona's trying to be serious but no, she can't. She's adorable and pretty. "I'm sorry, Yoon."

 

"Fine, fine!"

 

"So what were you sayin?"

 

"I was talking about the young man I saw yesterday and he seemed to be mentioning your name-- or maybe not yours--I'm not sure. But he kept saying 'Jessica'."

 

I was surprised. "Really?"

 

Yoona nodded and added, "Yes. I'm sure about that. And... I like his friend!!"

 

Oh, God. There she goes again, having a crush on someone. But I bet that someone's a good-looking one 'cause he got Yoong's attention.

 

But I seemed to be lost in the sea, thinking about that young man she mentioned. I don't want to assume that it's me but who would that young man be?

 

I heard the door of my shop opened and I was shocked when I saw the one coming in. It was like I was being dragged to my own home. 

 

"."

 

Yoong looked back and she gasped when she realized who it was. "Butler Yondong!!"

 

He showed a timid smile and walked over to us in his best suit which made him look even more formal than the usual. He's my butler since only God knows and I'm nervous now. How did he find me? I know I'm really easy to find!

 

He bowed at me before greeting me, "Hello, Miss Jung. It's been awhile."

 

I managed to smile and say something, "I think so, Buttler Yondong. What brought you here?"

 

"I'm sorry, Miss Jung but you need to come with me. Your parents seem to be yearning for you."

 

I sighed. "I'm sorry but I won't. I've already told all of you that I won't until I've finally know the real meaning of my whole being. I won't go with you," I said, trying to be nice as possible. I still don't wanna go back. People might think I'm crazy for running away but they don't know. That's why.

 

But I was surprised when he didn't push through, instead, he nodded and said, "We predicted you'll say that. Your parents offer something... You won't go back with me but I'll stay here for good to protect you, Miss Jung. The Choi seems to be searching for you."

 

I should disagree but I didn't. The last part hit me... "The Choi is looking for me? Why?"

 

He took a breath and said, "You're denying your position, Miss Jung. Don't you realize that? So you're at risk, and you need protection...."

 

----

 

I'm being protected from the Choi family . . . what was that supposed to mean? I know excatly that Choi is really smart in terms of negotiating and all. But why does it seem to bother my existence? Did I did something wrong? Is it because of me running away from home, the Sylvania?

 

There are so many things left unspoken. There are so many questions left unanswered. I had the urge to ask Butler Yondong about these stuff so I faced him, only to find out he was reading some documents.

 

He seems so into it, like he's understanding it carefully. "Butler Yondong?"

 

"Hm?" He said, not looking at me.

 

But I continued anyway. "Why does the Choi looking for me?"

 

He glanced at me before putting down his documents and took a deep breath before answering, "Ah! You don't understand, do you? The consequence of your act affects the Kingdom. . ." A part of it was not too clear for my understanding so I pushed through.

 

"What? What do you mean by that?"

 

"Miss Jung, because you're the heiress of the throne, and unfortunately you ran away, the hope for the throne is a lot more bigger for the Choi. Remember what I've always told you since you were a kid, 'You cannot escape reality. You are destined to be sitting in your father's place'."

 

Yes. I do remember that. Actually, he always told me so many times in a week that I've already memorized each word. But because I was just a little kiddo, I didn't care much for it. I know that I'm destined to be the only heiress but I wasn't dreaming for it. No, because I know I can't do it. With all those dictators, spectators, those critics and all, they're just too much to gulp in.

 

I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Butler Yondong's. He smiled at me. Even though he's old, maybe in his mid fifties, he still looks as strong as he can be. He's been my protector. "Little Sica, you better also remember this, and I'll only tell you once, 'For every duty, you need to know who can't be trusted, and who can be trusted. It is not only knowing the real enemy is, but knowing who's worth your trust. Even enemy can be trusted."

 

~

 

Even enemy can be trusted . . .

 

That's it. That's the only thing I've remembered. What's happening to my brain? Why am I like this? Why do I have short-term memory? My parents are pretty much smart people, but what happened to me? I don't have my parents' confidence, and brains. It just scares me everytime I asked myself . . . I am not adopted, am I? NO. That's a big no. I look like my mom a lot and I have my Dad's lips and eyes. I got it! I'm not adopted . . .

 

I sighed. "What with the sigh?"

 

I looked up at Yoong. I've never said about Yoong. She's been my best friend . . . When I went here, I've met her and we became best friends. She helped me with this stuff and that. She's ordinary but extremely extraordinary for me. She's the kind of friend who'll love you for who you are. She knows about the real me, that I'm from Sylvania and I'm destined to rule a kingdom.

 

I shook my head, "Nothing."

 

"O-Okay! That will do. Anyway, I'll go shopping. Wanna come with me? We don't hang out lately . .. so, bet you'll extend me the courtesy to accompany me. 'Cause I've been like accompanying you everywhere you go. So, give this day?"

 

Even if I say no, nothing will change. And I won't say no. She's right. She's been there for me everywhere and this time, it's payback time. Guess that I shouldn't think much of the Kindom thing. So I stood up.

 

"Okay," I said. But it hits me. Butler Yondong stood up, asking where will I go.

 

I smiled at him, "We'll just go shopping, Butler Yondong."

 

"I'll go with you."

 

"What? It's a girl thing, Butler!!" Yoona demanded. He seemed nonchalant but said somethings somehow.

 

"I'll just look after the two of you. Think that I'm not following you . . ."

 

I tried to protest but I think it's the best offer after all. It's not like he's a hindrance or what to our girl day, he's just doing his job.

 

And so we went to a mall. it's the mall Yoon and I used to go and but something . . . it's the biggest out of the malls here. We went to the dress shops and all . . . we dried picking out best dresses and I can't see Butler Yondong in any corner. But I know his eyes are set on us. He must be trained well with this kind of stuff.

 

We were on our way to a shopi bumped into someone . . . "Agh!"

 

"Oh, I'm sorry, Miss," the man said. I looked up at him and . . .oh~

 

He's a good-looking man . . . what the hell? Why am acting this way?

 

But his smile seems to be capturing my heart-- what the? this is across the line!

 

"It's okay," I managed to say.

 

But I was surprised he didn't go away but instead introduced himself to me. "Hi, I'm Siwon. Hwang Siwon," he extended his hand to me and I reached to shake.

 

"Hi, Jessica. Jessica Jung. . ."

 

But I was shocked when the fire alarm of the mall rang. I was really shocked to the extent I almost run away if not of Butler Yondong dragging me out the mall immediately.

 

I was looking for Siwon but he was gone . . .