Where and When I Get to Know You

You Ain't Gonna Fool Me Twice

JESSICA

 

As much as I wanted to sleep more, I just can’t. My conscience is knocking me off awake and it doesn’t feel right. I’m used to waking up late so this must be a change to adapt. I don’t wanna be rude because I wasn’t born to be one. I have finest parents and guilt strikes me every time because I ran away from them.

 

It’s 5 AM in the morning and it feels odd. It’s pretty dark outside and I’m not used to it so I find it really weird. Things that are not familiar to me are considered to be weird. That’s my rule.

 

Why so early Jessica Jung?

 

I sighed and walked over to my closet to prepare my outfit for today. Bet it’s cold outside and I’m shivering, I choose to wear a long coat for that. As I finished preparing, I walked off to my bathroom and did my ritual there.

 

As water meets my flesh, I realized it’s really too early. Gosh, but Jessica, do not be rude to Suho. He’s a sweet guy and he loves his sister and she’s your friend so don’t. Be nice at all even if it causes you to wake up this early.

 

I finished taking bath and already putting on my outfit when I heard a knock. I hurried and answered the door. It was Butler Yondong.

 

“Miss Jessica, it’s still early. Are you going out?”

 

I looked at my watch and it’s 6:30 in the morning. I nodded at him and said, “Yes. I’m going out with a friend. And… he kinda needs my help.”

 

I stepped out and closed the door behind me.

 

“Miss, isn’t it a little bit early? And how’re you gonna help this friend?” He asked and I’m starting to get irritated.

 

“Butler Yondong, you know I can bake, right?” He nodded. “So that answers your question.” I smiled and walked down the stairs. He called for me, though.

 

“Are you gonna be all right, Miss Jessica?”

 

I thought of it but I know Suho wouldn’t hurt me. He has no reason to. “Neh. He’s not gonna hurt me. And when something gets wrong, I’ll give you a call.”

 

Then I walked out the house, feeling the coldness of the surrounding. It’s right I wear a thick coat. What time would he be coming to the house? I should really wait for him. And he’s not late. I’m just 10 minutes early.

 

I walked around ten meters east when I noticed he’s walking west . . . to me to be exact.

 

When he noticed me, he smiled and waved. I waved, too. But I felt overdressed. I look down my outfit and to his. He’s infront of me now and I can’t help but look from his clothes to me.

 

“Why are . . .”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m still studying. I still have a class at 8 AM.”

 

“I didn’t see that coming. I mean, that you’re still studying, you know.”

 

He chuckled and I swear that was cute. Then he said, “Ahh, something happened so I’m still stuck with books in front of me.”

 

“So that makes me older than you?” I asked just to make sure. I just don’t know why I care. I mean, he’s nice and sweet and what the hell am I talking about?

 

He chuckled again. Oh, cutie! “No. No, I guess. How old are you anyway?” We started walking to . . . I don’t exactly know where. He’s the guy so that makes it . . . he knows where.

 

“I’m 22. Finished my studies just months ago,” I said.

 

“Really? Congrats,” he said and I smiled to that.

 

“That’s long ago, Suho. You don’t have to say congrats.”

 

“Nah. I just want to congrats you. You know I’ve heard about you a lot. People in here talk about you much,” he said, looking somewhere far.

 

“Like what?”

 

“You know. You, being hard-working and good-hearted person. But I didn’t believe them.” He looked at me.

 

I feel bad about that. Why doesn’t he think I’m a good person? “Why?” I uttered.

 

“Because  I want to see it myself and I guess, you have proven it. You agreed to help me and I guess you’re good.”

 

I smiled. “Thanks.”

 

“So, I haven’t told you my age. I’m also 22 err . . . turning 23 in two months. So that makes me older than you,” he smiled and took my hand. I was astonished but I just went with it.

 

We enter Café Flora and take our breakfast there. He’s a happy person so it’s not hard for me to talk and be friends with him. He’s an easy guy.

 

We’re taking our frappe when I noticed a small scar on a corner of his bottom lip. And I have the urge to ask so I did. “Suho,” I called.

 

He looked at me. “Hm?”

 

“What’s that scar?”

 

“Where?”

 

“Your bottom lip,” I answered.

 

He touched it and smiled after. He puts down his frappe and looked at me. “You wouldn’t believe it,” he said.

 

“Why?”

 

“I, hmm. After my parents died—“

 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry! I guess I should’ve not asked.” I feel bad bring it up to him. I feel like an insensitive woman.

 

“No. No. You have the right to know. We’re friends, right?”

 

I nodded. “Yeah.”

 

“After my parents died, I became a bad- in high school. I started drinking and got into many fights with the school’s gangsters and I was called the Gang King.”

 

I can’t believe he was that guy. Suho’s face is an angel-like and it doesn’t suit him when he’s being a bad-. He’s an angel. I just can’t imagine him being Gang King.

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

“What? Getting wounds and scars? No. Not at all.”

 

“No. I mean, when you were a kid and you found out your parents—“

 

“At first, yes. But my noona never left my sides. She’s been always there, taking care of me. And she had rejected Leeteuk Oppa’s proposals because of me. She doesn’t want me to be left alone. And that’s why I want to thank her for everything. I love my sister,” he said.

 

I placed my hand on his and held it. “You’re a good brother. I’ll help you with that.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, of course. We’re friends, aren’t we?”

 

“Hmm, yeah. Friends.”

 

After that, we decided to go where we want to go. He still has class and I don’t wanna be a burden. He’s a nice guy and he needs to do great for his sister. I wish my sister’s with me. But no, she wouldn’t be here. Soo jung’s gone. She died when I was 6 and that hurts a lot. My sister.