HELLO BROOKLYN

Me and my Dragon

CHAPTER 1:

 

February 12, 2012 - Brooklyn, New York

7:57 AM

 

 

"Promise I'll be safe." I said as I grab my bag and put my phone and map inside. I need this stuff for my plan strolling New York. I'm having a hard time convincing my uncle and grandmother asking permission to go out and explore Brooklyn myself before my vacation ends.

 

"Make sure to call and don't mess up!" my uncle said while giving me money for my emergency needs.

 

"I will and I won’t, promise." I smiled as I walk towards the door.

 

As soon as I stepped outside the apartment, I felt happy and nervous at the same time. I'm having a vacation with my grandmother in New York. And jeez, it's my first time to be out of the country.

 

I took a deep breath, filled my lungs with Brooklyn's air.

"Hello New York! This is it! Leezz gooow!" I screamed to released the nervous and excitement that I'm feeling. I giggled and start walking down the alley.

 

Brooklyn is the most populous of New York City's five boroughs, with approximately 2.5 million residents, and the second-largest in area. Brooklyn has long been a magnet for immigrants, and many ethnic groups dominate a particular neighborhood for a time, although the neighborhoods are ever-changing as populations move in and out.

 

With the map in my hand and a handbook guide, I choose which way to go. I already selected 3 places last but still undecided which will I go first. The Brooklyn Botanic Garden located adjacent to Prospect Park is the 52-acre (21 ha) botanical garden, which includes a cherry tree esplanade, a one-acre (0.4 ha) rose garden, a Japanese hill and pond garden, a fragrance garden, a water lily pond esplanade, several conservatories, a rock garden, a native flora garden, a bonsai tree collection, and children's gardens and discovery exhibits.

 

 

The Coney Island developed as a playground for the rich in the early 1900s, but it grew as one of America's first amusement grounds and attracted crowds from all over New York. The Cyclone rollercoaster, built in 1927, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The 1920 Wonder Wheel and other rides are still operational at Astroland. Coney Island went into decline in the 1970s, but is currently undergoing a renaissance: the new Luna Park opened in 2010.The annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade is a costume-and-float parade. Coney Island also hosts the annual Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.

 

 

And the Brooklyn Bridge Park where Manhattan Bridge can be seen. I decided to go Brooklyn Bridge Park because it's the nearest and easiest way to go.

 

I took a cab to go to my destination. As I'm heading to Brooklyn's tourist park, I was amazed by the view seeing my eyes.  This place is really cool. A lot of different stores lined in the pavement. A bookstore, coffee shop, flower shop and a lot more. I find it easy to live in the place because you can find all you need in one area. You don't need to travel a lot to buy stuff you need. This place is way too different from the country where I grew up; Philippines.

 

Yes you heard me right. I came from the Philippines, I am a Filipino and I'm proud of it. I guess we all are.

 

When I finally arrived to the park, the first word that comes out on my mouth was WOW! The view of the Manhattan Bridge was really breath taking. I'm sure especially at night when it was lighted. I stroll to the park and found a lot of tourist there. I see a lot of people around since it's Sunday (Monday to my country) . They were all having fun. Chatting, playing, kids running everywhere. What a beautiful sight. I loved the place! Quiet, peaceful - a perfect place to relax.

 

When I was walking around, I feel that I needed to pee. OMG! Not now. I looked on the park map for the comfort rooms but they were located on the other side.

I looked around hoping that I can find a portable CR. But they are nowhere to be found.

 

"Oh my! What will I do? Where will I pee? I really need to pee." I said to myself while walking as fast as I could to go to the other side of the park. But fate is really not on my side. I got lost.

 

"God help me please!" praying for a portable CR that will appear in front of me.

 

I keep walking, walking and walking. I found myself standing in front of a building. I looked around to check if there were by standers. When I saw nothing was there I quickly go between the dumpster in the corner of the building.

 

Sigh. "What a relief! Sorry I really needed to pee." Yikes! Me talking to the dumpster.

 

I finished fixing myself, plug my headphone and hit the play button of my IPod and quickly walk away like nothing happened. 

 

"Thanks God! Nobody was going this way." 

 

I my bag to get my map but to my surprise it wasn't there.

 

I lost the map. How stupid of me? Maybe I lost it when I was crazy looking for the damn toilet rooms. Good thing I have the phone lent me by my uncle have a GPS. It is much easier for me to search and find the place I want to go.

 

As I walk down the alley, I decided to look for a place to eat. I rely on my GPS and turn to the left side of the alley while singing the song playing on my IPod. As I turned left, my heartbeat suddenly beat fast. 

 

I slowly turn around and caught myself that I was in the middle of s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g..