Chapter 8

Love's Timer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So how have you've been lately?" Mark looked up and frowned at him. He is wondering why did Dr. Lim sounded down while he's shifting through the papers, looking at his test results.

"Fine, I guess?" Mark looked around the Dr. Lim's new clinic. "Why did you suddenly change hospitals?" He scanned the clinic, it was a bit smaller from the old hospital Dr. Lim used to work for.

"I guess, I just wanted change and besides this is a bit closer to where I grew up." Dr. Lim smiled and placed the papers back on his table and looked at Mark. "Are you sure your okay these days? Your  results tells me otherwise. You're heartbeats are becoming more irregular."

"That's bad right?" Mark blinked at Dr. Lim. He knew the past week, his heart is not getting along with him.

Dr. Lim smiled at him. "You should know better." He looked down and glanced at his results again. "So in actual, your beats are slower because blood flow is slower for you. Since your coronary arteries are smaller than normal which makes hard for blood to flow."

Mark nodded and listened to him explain more. Even though he had explained this more than a hundred times since he was a kid.

"And since blood flow is hard, oxygen supply for your heart is also hard. Your heart cant contract fully sometimes because of this." Dr. Lim placed his elbows on the table and clasped his hands together. "As I can see in your results your heart has more irregular beats this time, its getting slower, with irregular intervals. And this shows your heart muscle disease is worsening. Your beats are slower, indicating your heart is having a hard time to supply oxygen."

"I see." Mark looked around his clinic again and looked at the pictures of hearts hanged on the walss.

Dr. Lim sighed. "I know you are getting tired of hearing this, Mark. But you see, you have a unique condition. You have inborn smaller coronary arteries and at the same time with a heart muscle disease. You should pay more attention to your health. See, now you are even experiencing arrythmias. You have irregular beats this time." 

Mark looked down he didn't know what to say. He had to say that he wasn't paying close attention to his condition. This week he has forgotten to drink his medicines three times, skipped morning walks and even tried to order soda which was bad for him.

"Im sorry," Mark whispered as he felt disssapoinment fro Dr. Lim.

Dr. Lim shook his head slowly. "Mark, Im like this because I treat you like my own kid, my own son. Ive been taking care of you since you were born."

"I know." Mark looked up and gave him a small smile.

He has a love and hate relationship with Dr. Lim. He loved her because he is the doctor that takes care of him from birth until now but hates him because everytime, he comes back, he only hear more complicated news about his condition.

"Base on your results I guess youre not taking your meds regulary, right?" Dr. Lim raised his brow. "Take them okay? They help keep your blood flow at a normal phase and avoid all the sweet stuffs, they can give your arteries plaque and block them, making blood to flow less."

"I know." Mark watched as Dr. Lim grabbed a pen a small paper. 

"Also, be active a little bit. Sports and any movements that require a lot of energy and effort are not allowed, you can suddenly excite your heart and since you have a weak heart muscle it wont be able to supply the oxygen you need when you do sports. You'll get dizzy, faint or worse get a sudden heart attack." He wrote down a few notes and handed the paper to Mark. "Take it. Do it."

Mark grabbed the paper from Dr. Lim and placed it inside his pocket. "So, am I done now?" 

"Alright, alright. You never changed you hated my clinic since you were little, you always want to leave right away." Dr. Lim laughed and Mark just gave him a small smile.

He hated it of course.

He hated everything that would tell him that he's time is counting.

He hated every little thing that would remind him of his condition but he can't do anything about it.

"I'll go now." Mark said his goodbyes and went home. 

"So what is it this time?" Mark laid on his bed and fished out the small note Dr. Lim gave him. "Smile, go out and take some fresh air. Have fun. Dont stress yourself too much and drink your medicines." Mark smiled, at least he didnt write any complicated warnings this time.

"Have fun?" He folded the paper and placed on top of the small table lamp beside his bed. "How? When I cant even do the things I like?" He grabbed his pillow and forced himself to sleep to relief himself from all the information he took in from his check up today.

 

 

Mark pushed the doors open and left his house. He walked outside and frowned. "Your early today?" Mark closed the gates to his house. And faced Haru.

"Because I dont want you to tease me and be all grumpy!" Haru said with a smile as she walked towards him. "So? It's PE today. Aren't you excited?" She scanned how Mark looked good in his PE uniform and couldnt help but mentally praise how good it looked on him.

"No, I'm not." Mark turned around and started walking.

Haru frowned and started walking fast to catch up with him. "What do you mean you're not excited?" She slowed down as she reached him and started walking the same phase as him. "Oh! I know cause you dont join PE class." She snapped her fingers as she remembered that fact and pouted. She couldnt help but feel the dissapointment that it's the only class she could be together with him for the whole day yet, he wasnt even attending it.

Mark looked at her, tried his best not to show any expression. He was waiting for her to ask her why he doesnt attend PE class but Haru just kept on walking while pouting. Mark sighed in relief, at least she wasn''t curious. At least she wouldnt squeeze out the fact that he is sick from him.

"Hey stop pouting it's distracting." Mark tapped her lips with his palm lighly and Haru in shock looked at him. Mark continued on walking and Haru stopped.

Haru touched her lips. "Distracting?" She was confused but coudnt help but feel all tingly that she can distract Mark. The guy who neglects al girls at school. But here is Haru, getting him distracted with his pout.

Mark looked back at her and smriked. "It's distracting because you look uglier!" He started walking again, while hiding his small giggles because he saw how Haru's expression changed as he turned around. He really loves teasing her.

"Uglier?!" Haru pouted and stomped her feet. "Mark!! How dare you!!" Just a while ago she was all tingly and now she's mad at him. She ran after him and walked beside him with an angry face and Mark couldnt control his small laughs as they walk together.

This is how they affect each other. They feel all these different emotions changing in a brief moment yet they both liked it.

"Let's walk until school today." Mark and Haru stopped at the bus stop.

Haru looked up at him confused. "Why? Let's just ride the bus." She didnt like the idea of a long morning walk.

Mark looked at her and smiled. "Why? Dont you want to spend more time with me?" And he saw how Haru's face reddened at his answer.

Haru can't help but feel shy, she knew Mark didn't like smiling so when he does do it, it's like whatever he asks from her she has no choice but to give in. She inhaled sharply, "O-okay.." she managed to say.

Mark winked at her and Haru could feel her heart racing early in the morning like she had already ran a good 3 rounds around the school.

Why? Why is my heart beating so fast? PE hasnt even started yet but my heart is already beating so fast. She followed Mark as he lead the direction to their school.

Mark couldnt help but sigh in re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter