Chapter 5

Love's Timer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark answered his phone, it was his mom calling him.
"Yes Mom?" Mark was already walking towards the bus stop with his friends.


"Tell your friends to come over. I cooked dinner for you guys." Mark looked at his friends and smiled at them.
"Alright. Well go there," he turned to face his friends who were walking behind him, following him.


"Got any good news?" Jackson saw how Mark was smiling. 
"Yeah. My mom said you can eat dinner at my house." And with that the younger ones rejoiced.
"Yes!! I was already hungry." Bambam rubbed his growling stomach.


"Thank heavens I have a reason not to eat our maid's bad cooking." Yugyeom jumped up and down.
"And Mark hyung's mom cooks the best!" Youngjae said as they go up the bus.


"Okay, okay. Calm down now." JB hushed the younger ones as they take their seats in the bus.

"Okay Im sorry for the wait. But here it is!!" Mama tuan brought a dish from the kitchen and placed it on the dining table where the seven boys are already seated.


"Wow!! That looks good!!" Junior's eyes popped at the amazement for the food.


"And it also smells good!!" Youngjae fanned the steam coming out from the chicken Mama Tuan cooked for them.
"Deabak! You could already open a restaurant!" Jackson said after he took a bite of the chicken leg.


"Hey Mark, you're really lucky with your Mom!" JB nudged Mark at his elbow and Mark laughed at how exaggerated his friends' reactions are. He knew his mom was good at cooking but thy didn't have to exaggerate it.


"Okay that's enough. I know you boys are just saying that so you can come over more often." Mama Tuan laughed and stood beside his son who was also eating."Enjoy your dinner. Its just my "thank you" for looking over Mark." She smiled sweetly at the boys and caressed Mark's hair and Mark suddenly felt shy.

"Dont worry Mama Tuan. Well look after him until forever, as long as we can eat your cooking for forever too." Junior smiled playfully at Mama Tuan and all of them laughed as they enjoyed their dinner.

"Mama Tuan we're going now!" The boys said their goodbyes and thanks to Mama Tuan as they exit from Mark's house. The younger ones started running to the bus stop to catch the bus. They can already imagine how mad their parents will be when they go home late again.

"Jackson you should go too. JB and Junior left already." Mark pat his friend at his shoulder. 
"I know Ill go now." Mark waved at him and closed the gate then went straight to his bed. 

"Take care of me forever?" Mark whispered to himself while staring at the ceiling on top his bed. He smiled bitterly. 


"That sentence is sweet yet painful." He grabbed his pillow and placed it on top of his head. He didn't like the idea how he has become dependent to the people around him. He didn't like the idea how spending time with his friends forever seemed so exciting, yet seemed so regretful. He knew he will be the first one to leave them.

"Oh well life . I just need to it in." Mark whispered before drifting off to sleep unaware how his friend Jackson was just outside his house helping a clueless girl go home.

 

 

 

"Hey Mark," Mama Tuan rubbed her son's stomach. "Wake up, we need to go somewhere." 

"Where?" Mark shifted his position and faced his back to his mom. Its a Saturday and he wanted to sleep more.

"To our new neighbor we haven't introduced ourselves yet to them. Mrs. Yang told me yesterday that we should have breakfast there." She caressed Mark's hair still trying to wake him up gently.


"Then go with Dad. I want to sleep more." Mark protested.


"I would if he was here but his on a business trip in Taiwan remember?" 


"Fine." Mark sighed and gave up. He sat on his bed and looked at the clock.


"7 AM? This early?" He tilted his head  and wondered why it had to be so early on a Saturday. But he had no choice. Mama Tuan went out and Mark prepared.

"Mark smile at least okay? I heard Mrs. Yang has a daughter. Be nice and greet her." Mama Tuan knew how Mark avoided girls and she never understood why when his son is definitely good looking.


"Alright," Mark pressed the doorbell to the house just right next to theirs. 


"Oh hello!!" Mama Yang went out of the house. She opened the gate to her house and greeted them.


"Please come in and sit here for a while," Mama Yang motioned them to the living room and Mark politely bowed and smiled at her.


"Wow! You have a very handsome son!" Mama Yang told Mama Tuan as she looked at Mark with endearment. "How I wished to have a son like him but I got a son like daughter." And both of the Mom's laughed.


"Wait here Ill just go get my daughter, I think she is still sleeping." Mama Yang went upstairs to get her only daughter.

"Mark scanned the house and noticed how there seems to be a one piece of everything. A piece of a big chopstick up on the wall for display. A piece of sock pinned to shelf which looks like a Christmas decoration. A painting half heart hanged at the wall. He found it weird. Where was the other half? But he shrugged it off.
"It must be their preference." He sat silently as he waited for Mama Yang to comeback until he noticed a photo of a little girl with a younger version of Mama Yang. The girl was smiling in the photo and is holding up a big card which says "Daddy will come back!" He raised his brows. He thought maybe the dad is an overseas worker. He then saw something written on the picture frame.


"Haru.." He whispered, he was wasn't sure if its a name or literally a phrase which means "one day". But definitely a person popped in his mind. He shook his head "Nah I don't think this is a name. It cant be the same person." Mark said as he looked closely at the photo frame.


"Who are you referring to?" Mama Tuan furrowed her brows and looked at Mark.


"Huh? No one in particular. I just think the girl in the photo looks cute." He pointed to the photo frame at the table beside of the sofa he was sitting on.


"Oh that's my daughter Haru." Mama Yang has returned from upstairs.


"Don't worry she will come down now. Im so sorry for making you wait, she was still sleeping when I went upstairs." Mama Yang smiled apologetically at them.

Haru? It cant be the same Haru right? But wait Mrs. Yang. Then that means the daughter is Haru Yang. 

Mark was slowly understanding the situation. He concluded that the daughter's name is Haru Yang. But is still denying that it could be the same Haru at school. He noticed how Mama Yang was standing and offered her his seat.

"No it's okay, you could sit there Mark." Mama Yang offered him his seat again.

"Im sorry, my son Mark is a shy type." Mama Tuan laughed.

He heard footsteps from the stairs and looked straight at that direction and slowly he saw Haru coming down.

"Haru?" His brows furrowed it is the same Haru.
"Mark?" Shock can be felt from Haru's voice. Here they are meeting each other even though they both thought of not seeing one another again.

"Oh so you know each other?" Mama Tuan was delighted to see his son actually knowing a girl. She was very thrilled.


"Uh.. Yes. We go to the same school." Haru answered shyly and went next to her mom.


"Really? Then thats great you should be friends with each other. Are you the same year level?" Mama Yang asked Mark with interest. She cant deny that the boy was really good looking but then again, she thought of how boyish her daughter was so she brushed off the idea of Mark liking Haru even just a little bit.


"Yes." Mark answered with a bored tone. He shifted his attention to Haru and saw her smile at him but he didn't react he just gave her a bored look.


"Aw.." Mark rubbed his elbow. Mama tuan had elbowed him.
"I told you to at least smile, cant you see how sweet her smile is?" She whispered to his son and Mark then looked at Haru and smiled for a second. 


Haru was shocked to see Mark smile at him. Its the first time.

Did he really smiled at me? Haru was startled and she suddenly felt her cheeks burning up.

"There? You happy?" He looked at his mom with his brow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter