Let's stop talking now

Stupid You,

 


                We talked for what seems like a long time, and were laughing, smiling, and really learned a lot about each other; basic, generic, and even some more personal facts about each other. But when I asked him about his family, his smile slowly faded away, allowing his expressionless face to resurface. By looking at him, I can tell that talking about family is something he preferred to avoid.

 

"Uhh... You know, maybe I'll just ask another question, haha... Maybe that was a little too personal,"     It's true, it was a little too personal.  I suppose with all our talking and such, I forgot that we're strangers still.

 He clears his throat, "... No, it's not that... It's just... I don't know how to talk about them, haha, there's a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure if-"

"- You should be talking about them with someone you barely know. I understand, don't worry about it, I mean, it's not like you have to answer. Let's just move on to another question" I interrupt, trying to bring the mood up again.

"No, stop saying that, that's not why at all. It's just me, I don't talk about my family much, I'm not even sure what to say."  I can tell he's lying, but I'm not about to pursue an answer, he has his reasons, and I shouldn’t expect one.

"Yeah, sometimes it's hard to explain people who are close to you. Okay, well you ask a question now. I'll give you a freebie, you don't need to answer it, so you can ask anything"  It's the least I can do. What can he possibly want to know anyways?

                He turns to look at me, and then smiles, his smile reaching his eyes too.

"Any? At all? No matter how personal?" He asks, suddenly more intrigued than before, a his smile becoming crooked.  Dammit. I so regret saying that, he has that prank face on again.   I guess my regret was obvious on my face, since he laughs and says,  "Remember, you said it was a freebie, with no limits"

"...Yes, I know. Just ask already, let's get this over with."   Me and my mouth. Ruining my life.

"Okay... Then... How many boyfriends have you had?"   He asks, smiling like he won an argument, the exact same face that he made when I finally gave in and agreed to go with him to the mall. I'm not gonna lie, I'm sorta embarrassed to answer, of course it's better than saying I had billions of them, but it's embarrassing that I haven't even had ONE.

"Is that really what you want to use as your freebie? It's such a dumb question." I say, trying to hide my reluctance to answer.

"Nah, I’d like to know, and now I won't have to answer it myself... So...  since you’re not answering… I'm guessing you've had about…  10 then?"

"10?! Do I look like a to you? I'm only 18!"  I almost shout

"Hmm... Judging by your reaction, let's say 5 max. But they were probably longer relationships, and you broke up with them."   He quickly analyzed.   Wow. He sounds like he’s a critical analyst or someone who studies relationships.

"Or... It could be a false bravado you're putting on and you've actually dated over 10 boys"   He adds with cheeky smile.   WHAT THE HECK?! Damn him… Damn that stupid smile…

"NO! I'm not putting on a false bravado! I don't  get  around okay?! Those girls are so gross, ugh... Oh and just so you know, so you don't ASSUME anything else, I haven't had a single boyfriend! Not even one! Okay!? You happy now?"   I say in an escalating voice, exasperated, as you can probably tell.  Donghae obviously realizes my tone, as he is taken aback by my outburst. It doesn’t faze him though, he just goes back to smiling and says,

"Would've never guessed. But now it's your turn to ask, and no freebies” He finally responds, sounding smug.
UGHHH!!! That just irritates me sooo much.

 

                And just a note, when I'm mad or irritated, I just don't say anything, or give short, one word answers. So, I don’t say anything, and just grit my teeth and stare ahead. I might be starting to tear too, but I can't tell right now. I know, it may seem like I'm getting mad for no reason, but dating is a sensitive topic for me. Maybe it's because I always thought I'd meet my boyfriend in high school, and it never happened. It's dumb, I know, but I've always wanted to marry someone that I dated since high school. High school sweetheart, you know?  And to add on to that, I'm also worried that I'll end up being alone for my whole life. I don’t think I'm pretty or anything, to be honest, I think I’m lacking in the appearance department. Family and friends disagree, but they’re are supposed to say stuff like that, well they don’t have to, but they do, right? haha. Maybe what guys and girls see as attractive is different… all my friends are girls, needless to say.  And I don't need a boyfriend right now... But sometimes it seems like it'd be nice to have one. If you get what I mean.

 

"Are you crying?" Donghae asks, shocked.

"...No."  Is all I say.   Yes, I am still mad.

"I'm so sorry, if I knew that you would have gotten this upset then I wouldn't have asked my question..." He apologizes, sounding really panicked.    He does sound sincere...    I turn my head and look at him; he’s staring ahead, biting his lower lip.   Gosh Donghae, it's hard to stay mad when you look like that, all concerned and actually looking like you care.

"... It's okay. It's not a big deal." I say as I exhale silently.

"Okay. To make it even, I'll admit to you my relationship status. Does that sound fair to you?" He asks, looking guilty.

"... Up to you. I don't care, it's your life."  He probably has girls swooning all over him. Especially if he flaunts his money, like with his car and all.

"Well, I’ll feel better if I tell you. I've only ever had one girl as my friend. But no girlfriends."  From the corner of my eye I see him turn to look at me for a second or two, looking for my reaction while waiting for an answer.

"Oh. "  Is all I say. I Judged him so hard earlier.

 

 

 

                The car comes to a stop, and we finally reach the mall. I've never been to this one before, it's freaking HUGE. If we can't find the shirt here, it's probably impossible to find it anywhere.

 

"Ready to walk?" He asks me while taking off his seat belt.

"Yep"