Strong Outside, Broken Inside.

Stupid You,

 

 

 

                I lost. But it wasn't fair!  He told me that I dropped something to make me look down!  Then I felt me nauseous, so I had to stop ...  so  cheap.  Meanwhile, he continues to swing, not as high as before though.

 

"I used to come here when I was younger to try to forget everything about my life"  He says randomly as he slows the swinging.

"Oh?  What could you possibly have wanted to forget about?  Were you bullied by kids at school?" I joke.  He just stares ahead, barely swing now, and just says,

"No, I just wanted to escape from reality... I wanted to forget that my family was broken... I wanted to forget about how bad I felt; I just wanted to forget everything"   Woah... What just happened here?   I sit there as well, speechless.   Who would've guessed that he would’ve said all that?   He seems so carefree and strong.   Who knew it was to keep him together inside...

"Sorry, that just... came out, I don't even know how that-"

"No, its okay, you can say more if you want. I don't mind listening,"

"... I don't know what to say now, I wanna let go of it all."

"Well then, start with the beginning... Why is your family broken?"   I ask. He nods, and sighs, still looking forward, only slightly moving the swing.

"My father died when I was 15... He seemed healthy at the time too, he even quit smoking after the doctor said he may have cancer."   That's a lot to take in. Poor Donghae, only 15 at the time; the worst age to lose someone. Not young enough to not really understand what happened, and not at the age where he is more independent.

"I cried a lot when I heard the news about him. He didn't pass on because of the cancer... The wort part of it was that he died because of his  work.  My mom always told him to just get a steady job. One out of the shadows, and in safe terms. He never listened to her though. A lot of guys looked to him for help, he was their 'hyung'. He said, 'If I were to leave my position, what would all my brothers do? I can't abandon them. We're a team, Jinhye. And they need me.'"

                What did his dad do?... For some reason, when Donghae described his father's role, I couldn't help but imagine the first time I saw Donghae; the time he had an argument with another group of guys. The others in his “crew” looking at him, ready to follow with any action he chose. His father couldn't have been involved with   that stuff... right?

 

"I never truly understood what my dad did. I just knew that I missed him when he wasn't home, and I spent every minute with him when he was there. When he didn't come back home that one night... I knew something happened. He always came back, he loved us so much. And I hated them so much, for taking him away from me. I hate them to this day."    them? Who's  them?...

Donghae looks at me, with an unsure expression, gently biting his lower lip.  I've never seen him this sad before... I nod, encouraging him to continue. He smiles a little before he speaks again,

 

"I hated them so much, I did what my mom and dad hoped would never happen. I told my uncle I wanted to help him. After my father, my uncle was next in authority, and he took me into the unknown world my father lived in. I know my uncle wants revenge still, even to this day. He wants it so much, that even though he knows this isn't what my father wanted, he mentored me to become like him."  He sighs. This is still such a surprise to me. I have no idea how this is possible. It sounds so unreal.

"I still miss him. A lot… Gaheun, do you know what I'm trying to say to you?"  He asks me, with a light tone

"What you want to say to me?..."   huh?

He sighs, "Does that explain why I have injuries? And why I keep telling you that you saved my life?"
 So he  is part of a gang... I just nod yes.

He looks at me for a moment, like he was debating something in his head.

"Don't you feel concerned?"   He asks suddenly

"Huh?... Why?”

"You don't feel threatened at all? Or uncomfortable with me now?"   His eyebrows begin to furrow.

"No... I'm your doctor, why would I feel threatened?"

"Don't joke around about this. Look at me, I'm beat up.  By those people, don't you feel threatened by being around me?"

"... No." I answer indifferently. His eyes widen, and eyebrows raise, asking for an explanation.

"Well... If you're here, why would I need to feel threatened?" I shrug.

"Are you serious?  You assume I can help you if something were to happen?"  He asks incredulously,

"... You better try, or else."    I know I seem to not be taking him seriously, but I believe him. It's just... Would those people, as he calls them, whoever they are, actually be a threat to me?

He loosens up his tensed body, and sighs again. "Okay, then. So you're not afraid?"

"Nope. Should I be?"

"Yes."

"Oh..."  I say, looking down.  Maybe this means we can't be friends. Well this ruins the questions I had for him about that night.

"But... Since you're not, I guess we can move on" He says, suddenly behind me holding both sides of the swing, then running and pushing me over his head.  I scream.  It's so scary! I’m not a chicken, just so you know. You try having that done to you so unexpectedly. After I swing around for a good few minutes, he stops the swing, laughing.

"I... Hate... You."  Is all I manage to say, catching my breath.  He smirks, bending over slightly so we're at eye level.

"So you're scared of the swing, and not of people who can hurt you?"  He smirks.  I stare at him wide eyed at the attractiveness of his expression. Stupid Donghae. So annoying and hard to ignore.

I roll my eyes, and say "No."   Dummie.

"Okay fine then, if you're not scared I guess we'll have to try that again"    WHAT?! WHY?!

 

 

                I scream again as he pushes me on the swing ... again. Stupid idiot. He laughed really hard though, he even fell over.  Well... I guess I don't mind being afraid of the swing, if it makes Donghae laugh. Hopefully it’s helping him forget about his dad for a while.