"Gaheun, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

Stupid You,

Third Person’s  POV:
 

                    A few minutes earlier...
 
 
 

                    Father said he wouldn't kill Donghae, I should take his word for it. Right?   Seunghyun stood by the room window, arms crossed as he stares out into the open warehouse space where Donghae knelt. But why do I feel so uneasy?...   All Seunghyun's life, his father has never went against his words. Yet, he was never really sure how long his father would keep that reputation. He sighs as puts his fist up to his chin. Trust.  He thought,  I should at least have that.

 

 

                    The doors to the office opened, Seunghyun didn't move and continued to stare out the window.

"Seunghyun." Kim Bum says as he walks in.

"Mm?" Seunghyun replies, still not looking.

"Gaheun went to see Donghae." Kim Bum states, his voice hesitant. 

                    Just as Kim Bum spoke, Seunghyun saw Gaheun kneel in in front of Donghae.  Don't worry, Gaheun, he'll be okay.  Seunghyun thinks, turning his back to the window to give the two some privacy.

 

"Where's my dad?" Seunghyun asks when he sees Kim Bum looking down to the floor.

"Hmm? He brought Gaheun to Donghae." Kim Bum answers, thinking about something else.

"And Seunghyun... Here." He says as he hands Seunghyun the small, white envelope. Seunghyun stares at it, a little confused, before finally taking it into his hands.  He knew who had written it once he saw the handwriting. His hands shook as he held it tightly.

"Minkyung left it for you, Donghae gave it to me when we met to take him in." Kim Bum ss quietly, observing Seunghyun's every action.  Seunghyun hesitated before flipping it over to open it.

 

                    Within the split second he turned the envelope over, the door to the office slams shut. Seunghyun jerks his head up to see Kim Bum pulling the doorknob with all his might.

"Yah! What is this?!" he shouted as he continued to yank at the door.

                   

                    Before Seunghyun could take one step to help Kim Bum, the bone shattering blast of a gunshot rang behind him. Kim Bum and Seunghyun both spin around to look at what had happened outside. Once Seunghyun saw what had happened, the letter slipped out of his hand, and dropped to the floor beside the leg of the metal desk.
 
 
 
                   

                    Meanwhile...

 

 

                   

                    Donghae's heart stops. The trigger was pulled, his body shook, but…  he felt no pain.Is this what a bullet feels like? Has my whole body been numbed?  Donghae thinks as he exhales, and opens his eyes to the blinding light.

 

 

"Gaheun... Gaheun?!"  Donghae chokes as he realizes what just happened. But Gaheun only heard his shouts in the background of her ringing ears.

 

Hang on, you have to hold on. If you hold on, Donghae will be okay.
 
 
 
 

 

"I'm not one to make sudden changes of plans, Miss Gaheun... But I'll make this exception for you. I've got to respect you, for making such a-"

"So you'll do it. Take me in Donghae's place?” Gaheun asked blunt and eager.

"I'm not sure. You're brave… But I'm not sure if the revenge will be as... Sweet? I think that's the expression." Choi purses his lips, pretending to be doubtful.

"It'll be just like how Seunghyun felt. It'll be exactly the same for Donghae."  Gaheun clenches her jaw lightly, as she realizes the truth in her own words. Donghae would be hurt, just like Seunghyun was, just like Seunghyun is, right now.   "If you just kill him, he won't know the pain he made Seunghyun feel."  Anything, anything to save Donghae's life. Think, Gaheun, you have to make Choi change his mind.  Choi ponders at Gaheun's mentality. Finally, he smiled.

 

"Wow... You're right. But we'll have to do things my way. Okay?" He answered.

"Yes." Gaheun nods vigorously.

"One, It will be done right in front of Donghae's eyes. Two, I will shoot all five of the bullets in my gun." Gaheun's eyes widen.  Five. Five holes in my body... And Donghae would have to be witness to it all... Anything, Gaheun. You said anything. Anything to save him.

Gaheun cautiously nods once, lips pressed together

Choi let out a short laugh as he clapped his hands together.

"Really? You're willing take  five  bullets?"

Gaheun nods again, nails digging into her palms.

"Wow. So courageous, so brave… for someone like yourself. I wouldn't have expected it." he mused, intrigued with the brave aura Gaheun emitted.

"And you know what? It'd be such a waste for someone like you to die so early, so I'll let you live." Choi smiled, looking as though he had an idea. "I'll only shoot so you'll have flesh wounds, it shouldn't be anything  too  fatal..."

"You don't scare me. I'm not backing down. Do what you like," Gaheun interrupts him harshly. His musing made her sick, how could he enjoy the torture? How can someone be so happy by harming others?  She really couldn't comprehend.

"Well then... With the hits I'm giving you... I guess we'll see how strong you really are." Choi concludes, still smirking.

Gaheun turns and grabs hold of the doorknob, about to leave Choi's home office.

"Gaheun, I forgot to mention a little challenge. How our deal works out, is completely up to you. You're taking Donghae's place, you’re acting like his shield, if you falter and break, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger at him. My gun holds five bullets, and I intend on firing until it empties."  His voice was warm and cheery, as if he was talking to an old friend.

Gaheun turns her head, “I accept your challenge. Just know that I won't lose to you." she replies under her breath as she closed the door behind her.

 

 

 

                   

 

                       Four more to go, I can do this. I can do this, Gaheun chants to herself. Her left shoulder burns as she feels her back becoming warm and wet with her blood.  I can do this, just hold on.  As she reminds herself not to let go, Donghae's words begin to get closer and closer to her, becoming clearer in her clogged ears.  However, he isn't talking to her.

 

"What is this?!?!" Donghae shouts loudly, furious. "This isn't what we agreed on! Why?!?"  Donghae looks down to see Gaheun's shirt becoming dyed a crimson red colour, making him panic.

"Silly boy. You're not the only one who knows how to make deals. That girl protecting you right now made a deal of her own."  Choi says, satisfied with Donghae's reaction.

 

                    Before Donghae can reply, another bullet pierces through the air, hitting Gaheun's right shoulder. More blood pours out of the new opening in her back as she exhales at the blow of the bullet, still refusing to let go of her grasp around his neck.

"Gaheun... Gaheun please. Please let go. Please. Just stop it okay? Just let go." Donghae pleads as tears began to stream down his face.

                    He pulls against the chains around his arms as hard as he can, but it's no use. Gaheun hears him, but doesn't answer; she needs to focus on her task at hand. Three... Just... Three more... She thinks as she continues to hold her arms on Donghae's shoulder. The burning of the first bullet slowly cools, but the second one scorches hotter than ever. She rests her head on Donghae with even more weight now; she needs the support to stay still.   Stay awake Gaheun, it doesn't hurt. Donghae will be okay, stay strong.
 

 

"Donghae. She's a real courageous one, isn't she? She's agreed to take not one, not two, but  five  bullets for you. Aren't you glad you met someone who cares that much about you?" Choi asks humorously, enjoying what he saw.

"STOP THIS!!!! What do you want?!?! I'll do anything, just stop!" Donghae yells frantically at the darkness that surrounds him.

                    He looks desperately for Choi, trying to spot where he's hiding; no luck. He turns his head to look at Gaheun beside him, his tears continuing to fall. Her face is too pale, if the bullets don't kill her, the blood loss certainly will.  Donghae tries to break free from the hold of the chains, but no matter how hard he tries, they won't break. He pulls so hard that the links dig into his flesh, but he doesn’t care, he doesn’t care about what happens to him, as long as he could push Gaheun out of the way, nothing mattered anymore.

 

                   

                   

                    Another shot echoes through the dark warehouse, and Gaheun almost slips to the ground. The bullet pierces her thigh, and the blood that had pooled around her knees made her lose balance. As she tightens the grip of her arms to keep her from falling, the searing pain in her shoulders made her whimper in pain.  Quiet, Gaheun, don't make a sound. Don't show any weakness.  Gaheun grits her teeth weakly, she can barely feel anything; her whole body is becoming numb.  I won't make it, Gaheun thinks, but I will hold out until the final bullet is shot.  I can win. I can win Choi’s game, and win the grand prize: Donghae’s life.

 

"Gaheun, move away, please. Stop it okay? I know you have strength, okay? Everyone does. Why do you have to be like this? Let go, don't hang on anymore. Don't be so stupid!!!" Donghae yells angrily as he tries to use his shoulders to push her away.

                  

                      Donghae can’t even feel the chains digging into his flesh anymore, his panic numbed out the pain. He continues to push against her, but the chains left no room for movement. But he was able to push her lightly, and with her body being so weak, he wouldn't need to try too many times to shake her grip.I hope Seunghyun or Kim Bum is somewhere close, if I can get her out of the way, and take the last two bullets, Seunghyun will be able to get her to a hospital in time. Yes. Seunghyun can save her, Seunghyun will save her. Donghae thinks as he continues to push her. But for every slight shove he uses to shake Gaheun, a burn or sting would bite at Gaheun's back. Gaheun whimpers again, she knows what Donghae is trying to do, but can't muster up the strength to yell at him.

 

"... Don't… push me away, it hurts Hae." Gaheun complains breathily.

 

                    Donghae's breathing becomes staggered as he sobs again, he wants to save her, but if he were to push her away, he would be hurting her. He’s torn between saving her life and hurting her, or watching her suffer. But he decides to support her for as long as he can, he didn’t want her to be mad at him before she died, he wanted her to remember that he did all he could for her. But would she think that? Was he doing all he could? His mind told him to push her away; his heart told him to keep her close.

 

"Gaheun. You've really impressed me, but you've ruined my plans. I have two bullets left, and you're still standing."  Choi steps into the light, right into Donghae's view. "But that's going to have to stop now, I've only got two bullets left, and one will be hitting Donghae."  He chuckles as he points his gun higher towards Gaheun and Donghae. Donghae's eyes widen in fear, he knew what Choi was aiming for to make Gaheun surrender;  her neck.

 

"I'm going to kill you!!!!" Donghae voice growls. Even if he was going to die, he wouldn't let Choi walk away. Even if Donghae had to roam the earth in the afterlife, and be blocked from heaven, he didn't care.  Choi will pay for what he's done. Donghae promises this to Gaheun, and to himself.

Choi laughs.

"Not before I kill  you, Donghae." he smirks as points the gun directly at Gaheun's spine.

                    Donghae feels so weak, so hopeless, but he does the only thing he can. He presses his head against Gaheun's as hard as he can without hurting her,

"Gaheun, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you." He closes his eyes in defeat. He is a little relieved though, even though I can’t protect her, at least I know she won't be suffering for long, and not long after her, I'll be able to join her and keep her company.

 

 

                    This is it. The final blow. Choi's going to aim for my spine, so I lose control over my body. So I become lifeless and incapable to move. Stay awake for a little longer Gaheun, it'll end soon.  But what I need right now, is a miracle, a miracle that will protect Donghae, a miracle that will protect  us. An angel, a guardian, anything. I can't protect us on my own anymore, can I?  I've burnt out all the strength I have, even breathing is exhausting now. I can finally let go after this last blow.

 

Donghae, I'll wait for you. Even if it's another 80 years. I'll wait.

 

 

 

                    The blast of the gun rings through the air after the crash of shattering glass. Gaheun and Donghae shook from the shot, more vigorously than the others before it. Gaheun's grasp loosened as she fell to the floor with the extra weight that surrounded her. Donghae let out another breathy cry before he opened his eyes. At that same instant, the chains around Donghae's arms clattered to the floor.