A life for a life... It doesn't make sense. No life is regained, no second chance is given, taking a life for a life just ends in two lives being lost.

Stupid You,

Seunghyun's POV:

 

 

 

"Father. I can't go through with this anymore. We can't kill Donghae." I blurt out as I drove him to the next 'stock'  facetrade. He looks at me with an intense gaze, looking a mix of anger and confusion.

"Why not? It's so close, Seunghyun. Just two more days and it's over. He'll be gone, and we can start from scratch again." He replies, firm.

"... I don't want him to be gone. I don't want to kill him."

"You won't be killing him, I will.  Okay? All sorted out?" Father answers, not wanting to say more.

 

                    That's not what I meant. I don't want Donghae to die. Maybe I've come to realize that... This isn't the best way to get revenge. A life for a life... It doesn't make sense. No life is regained, no second chance is given, taking a life for a life just ends in two lives being lost. With no form of redemption, no way of getting them back.

 

"It's all because of Gaheun. Isn't it?" My father accuses.

"No. Not at all." I lie, it does have something to do with her, but it isn't the only reason I want to stop this.

"Seunghyun. Why have you become so... So... Weak?  "  Father's voice is filled with rage. He's too close to what he wants to back down now. But the closer he gets, the stronger I'll fight back.

"Don't kill Donghae. I know you're not going to stop now. It's too late for that. But I'm telling you. Don't kill him. Scare him. Injure him. Anything but killing him "  As long as he's alive, I won't feel guilty, and Gaheun won't be hurt.

Father sits still for a while, glaring ahead into the distance. He finally sighs, and says,

 "Scare?... Injure?... And that's it? Do you know how ridiculous you sound? If we only hurt or scare them, don't you know they'll come back and attack us?!" he growls.  

           

               I knew he would try to use our safety as an excuse. I know what would happen if we did let them go though, Donghae and Gaheun would go back to their side, and we'd stay on our side. They wouldn't plan to attack us any more than they did before, and everything would be back to the way it was before this craziness started. Who knows, maybe it'd be even better than before, now that we've gotten to know each other better.

 

"The only reason you think they'd retaliate is because if you were in their position, you  would. But they're not like that; they're not like you, father. They just want to go back to normal. Back to being safe."  I say, the words coming out harsher than intended.

 "Not like that? Not like me?  What do you know about them?! What do you know about anything?!?" He yells at me. I must have hit a nerve. But I'm not backing down now.

"What do I know? I know that YOU were the one who killed Donghae's father first. I know YOU are the person who ruined our relations with their side and I know YOU will never be able to admit that you're wrong. I've accepted it. Now you've got to accept my decision. We're not killing Donghae. Scare him if you want. You can even hurt him. But he has to be breathing and has to be able to walk away from here once this is over."  I retaliate, sounding oddly authoritative.

 

 

 

Father seems surprised again. He doesn't say anything, and sits unmoving. Don't cave, Seunghyun, don't give in.

Father lets out a loud sigh,  "... Are you sure you'll be satisfied if Minkyung's life isn't redeemed?"

"Yes. And you're wrong, her life has been, it’s just not how you imagined it to be."

"... I'm still going through with my plan. But I won't kill him. I'll shoot him, and let him go." Father says.
Just shoot him?... But...

"It's that or nothing, Seunghyun. Donghae's already accepted what's going to happen. Why can't you?"

"Don't actually hit him. Just scare him. That'll be good enough." I say bluntly, not wanting to explain my feelings to my father.

"I'll just skim him, how about that?"  What the hell? Does he think this is a game? Is Donghae his target for shooting practice?

"I've become pretty handy with guns. I can do it." He assures to me, sounding sort of proud.

"Yeah. I bet you've become a master at it. Killing a father and son; almost an entire family. And however many other people you've killed. You must be  so  proud of yourself." I reply sarcastically.

Father smirks,  "You'll thank me for this eventually. When that day comes, I'm sure you'll wish you were more understanding of my motives."  Motives? I never knew you had any.

 

I scoff, "Yeah, okay. You know what? If you shoot and miss, I'll be thanking you much sooner." I answer.

"Then we’ll see when you'll be thanking me." he sounds so casual speaking to me, who on the other hand is spitting out my words.

 

 

Hold up a second... 'Then we will wait and see when you'll be thanking me?'   What? He hasn't decided what he wants to do yet?

“Fathe-“

"Stop here and wait in the car Seunghyun."

"You're not going by yourself. Those people you're trading with aren't reliable." I answer, although I'm mad at him, I obviously don't want him to get hurt.

"No, it's fine. I've been doing this long enough to be able to handle myself." He answers, grabbing the suitcase from behind my seat. He smiles,

"Just sit here and wait. You can come and find me if I'm not back in 10 minutes. But I doubt I'll take that long."

I nod once before he gets out of the car and closes the door behind him.