All About Me

Stupid You,

                It's been only a week since I've been here, but I miss Canada already. I mean, as nice as South Korea is, I just wanna be home...

"Gaheun? Are you okay?" Yejin asked, interrupting my thought.

"Hmm?"

She chuckles, "Ah... Sometimes you make me think about whether I should've hired you to work at my cafe"

"Unnie! you know I work well!" I answer, like I’m 10 years old.

"Mhmm... Okay, but try to at least  look  awake when you're working at the front,"

"Kay," I answer, slipping back into my daze of wishing to go back home... So much for my "work well" comment  huh?

 

 

                Oh, I guess I never told you guys why I'm in South Korea to begin with. Well, it's quite simple actually... University. My parents thought it would be nicer if I went back to Korea for post-secondary schooling. They said it would give me a chance to experience 'our native Korean culture' and at first I was ecstatic, it's like a permanent vacation! Until I realized...

1. it’s halfway around the world from where I was born and bred [Canada].

2. I've never been here, nor do I have any family members to take me around or show me around. Well I do have Yejin unnie, but she's always busy with her cafe.

3. I have no friends here.  Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I don't have many in Canada either, I only have 2 really close friends.

4.  I would need to get a job (I already have one, but it was still a worry at the time!) I'm sure unnie was planning on giving me an allowance, but I can't take it. It doesn't feel right; sure, she's close to my parents and me, but still. And I'm not accepting money from my parents! This trip/vacation-ish thing was supposed to be a step further in declaring my independence! I'm only 17, but that's only because I have a late birthday.

And 5. The worst part...

...

... I was worried I had a terrible accent while speaking Korean. Yeah, laugh all you want, but it really worries me! It's sorta embarrassing. Unnie seems to think it's normal, so... far so good I suppose.

 

 

                To sum up what I've noticed in the week I've been here: it's really urban here, just like Toronto, but it seems much more technologically advanced. Here, they have cooler cell phones and electronics! And … school is much more important here, MUCH more people here, and the boys... Haha. What can I say? In my honest opinion, they either REALLY get my attention, like O.O    OR     they make me not want to take a second look and walk away fast  =  O.O  (same face can be used for different feelings, my friends) but hey, to be honest, my friends always say I’m the weird one; I’m 17 and have never dated a boy, never hugged a boy, never held a boy's hand, and actually... Now that I think about it, I don't have any male friends. Yes, I am awkward. And I don't think I've ever LIKED one. I've never talked to one long enough to actually develop feelings for them. And okay fine, I can fangirl over celebrities... But that's completely different. Hah, yeah…my celebrity boys ;)