Chapter 52

우린 용원히 (My Forever)

 

"Yah! Are just gonna stand there or what?" Key shouted in annoyance as he looked at his friend's troubled expression. He rolled his eyes inwardly, waiting for Woohyun to enter the building in front of them.

But instead of whining back, Woohyun bit his lip as he space out, thinking about things that he would know once he've entered the hospital laid in front of him.

Hands shaking. Lips trembling. Body being numb. That's what his body feels right now.

He thought he was ready but right now, at this kind of state, he was not sure at all. He's afraid that what he will know about you is fatal and could crush not only his heart but his soul as well.

"Dude! Please hurry up. I have a schedule at 10 and I'm telling you, if we didn't make it on time and I got scolded for that, I'll have to cut down your head and make sure your fans will grieve for you and I won't even care about that thing, ever" Key warned Woohyun and gave his dagger like piercing gaze.

"I-I don't know, Key. I think I'm scared. I really don't know why but please let's just get out of here" Woohyun gaze at Key with nervous eyes.

Key's jaw dropped on Woohyun's answer, "What? I thought you wanted to do this? Why are you backing out right now? I mean, we're here. Aren't you gonna regret it if you didn't have the chance to know the truth?".

"I don't know. I have a bad feeling about this" 

"What? Just because she was confined doesn't mean she is in a lethal condition. Trust me, Everything will be alright" Key reassured Woohyun as he pat the guy's shoulder.

"What made you so sure that she is still here?" Woohyun inquired.

Key let out a sheepish smile while caressing the back of his neck, "I Uhh-I kinda stalked her".

"You, what?!" Woohyun exclaimed.

"Hey! I was extremely curious at that time and then I heard her talking to her doctor and the doctor said something about her daily check up. I heard that their talking about operation and lacking someone to donate something for her and then that's all since I don't want them to think that I'm interfering with their business" Key explained as he defense himself from Woohyun's unlimited naggings about stalking you.

"Operation? Donating? Why do they need to do that?" Woohyun's angry face suddenly showcase an interested one, wanting to know anything about your condition.

"I don't know. That's why We're here, right?" Key gave Woohyun a "duh" expression making him shut up, roll his eyes and nod in agreement.

Key smiled, "So? are we going right now? Because times ticking and I don't want to be scolded again- urmfhnhfyhn"

"Yeah. I know, I know" Woohyun covered Key's mouth before he finish his sentence and dragged him inside earning an abhorred glared from Key. 

The fear that holds him back a while ago was now filled with curiousity and he can't wait to know why do you need to see a doctor when you are physically fine. Or at least, that's what he know.

 

 

"Are there any news news yet about the donor? I heard you've found someone who's compatible enough for me" Your face lit up as you ask your doctor about the said news your nurse have told you. 

You smile as you waited for him to answer. You know to yourself that you hate operations and that kind of stuffs but you have to deal with that idea in order to prolong your life. You examined his expression and you realized that he have a stern expression on his face which made your heart beat drum faster than its normal rate.

You clenched tightly your bag and asked, "Why? What's wrong? Why do you have that expression? Is there something wrong?".

"Your donor backed out yesterday saying he cannot donate anymore cause he suddenly got scared of the effect that'll happen to him after the operation. You know that you are in a dangerous state right now, right?" The doctor firmly stated.

You knocked your head down low and then nod, unsurely.

"If you didn't have the operation and couldn't continue chemotherapy, your life will be abbreviated right? Do you know how long will you live if that happened?" He looked at you with a worried expression.

Your lips began to quiver as you saw his expression, you don't want to know but yet you have to accept it no matter what. You want him to tell you a lie and make him say that your life isn't predictable and you don't have to worry anymore since you are in a stable condition. But no, you can't lie to yourself. Even you, yourself know that you are not okay and that's what wrecks your heart.

"N-No. Why? Is it sooner than what I expected?" Your lips began to speak amidst the fact that you don't want to.

"One month"

You heard a loud ringing in your head. You can't feel anything. You can't hear anything. You can't swallow everything that's going on right now. It feels like you can only see him but you can't hear what he says. As time flies fast, Hot tears are welling inside your eyes and later did you know that they are rolling on your cheeks continuously that you yourself don't know how to control it.

"Hey Wonhee, Can you hear me?" Your doctor shook you enough that made you shove yourself back to reality.

You sniffed inwardly and wipe your tears using your fingertips. You parted your lips as you said, "Huh? Uhh... Yes. I mean, no. What did you say?".

"I said, your life will be extended once you had the operation so I'm saying we need to find a donor as soon as possible. And then after that, you can continue having chemotherapy as well" He muttered.

"Is there a chance that we can find that person as soon as possible? I mean, can we find that person inside a month?" You asked with a distraught expression.

He gave a reassuring smile, "Of course. He would come. Don't let your hopes down, Wonhee".

You gave him a beam and once again wiped another piece of tear that just came out from your left eye. You know that he is just giving you a smile to keep your spirit up but deep inside you know that he is lying to you.

It's not like you are the dumb person when you were young. You know how things here work.

That smile? That means what he said about you, is so impossible to happen.

 

 

"N-Nam Woohyun" The nurse gaped at Woohyun and stood at her counter like a statue that is unable to move.

Key is on the verge of laughing since he've experienced that kind reaction especially on most hospitals but Woohyun is quite shock as the nurse is. Probably because he is afraid of the girl, calling other people especially Infinite's fans and they would go flock all over him & their plan would come to a mess.

"Y-Yes. It's me" Woohyun said unsurely. "Uhh.. Can I ask you something?"

"Anything for you" The girl flirtatiously smiled at him and bat her lashes which made Key fake-puke on the side. He didn't really like this kind of fans.

Woohyun smirked in victory and continued with his instincts, "You see. A friend of mine is confined here. Can you tell me what's her room number?".

"Oh sure. What's his name?" The girl type something on her computer waiting for his answer.

"She's a girl and her name is Young Wonhee" Woohyun beamed confidently.

The girl stopped typing and frowned for a second. She opened to speak, "Young Wonhee? You mean the nice girl who was frequently visited by Kim Myungsoo everyday?".

Woohyun's eyes lit in hope and said, "Yeah! Yeah! That Wonhee!".

The girl's mouth formed an 'o' shape before responding to Woohyun, "Ahhh! She's not confined at the moment but she's currently visiting her doctor. I think she's already talking to her oncologist right now".

Woohyun squinted his eyes at the word, 'oncologist'. The word was to foreign to him as he decided to ask Key, who is sitting at the corner but the boy, shrugged as well to him signifying that he don't know what an oncologist do.

"Can you tell me what an oncologist do?" Woohyun inquired.

"Oncologist is a medical professional who treats cancer" The girl smiled nonchalantly.

Time stopped for Woohyun as he heard the word 'cancer' on the young lady's sentence. It doesn't feel so right. Why would Wonhee consult on an oncologist if she's incredibly healthy? The word 'cancer' and 'Wonhee' just won't mix well together. 

It can't be right? She must've been mistaken. There are a lot of Wonhee in the world but only one would be so blessed to be visited by Kim Myungsoo and that is the girl he've been longing all this time.

Woohyun shook his head, trying to resort any of these things. "You mean...."

She nodded casually, "Yes. Miss Wonhee has a cancer and not just cancer but she's suffering from Stage 4 Leukemia. Haven't she told you any of these things?".

Key stood up from his seat and stare at the girl like that's the silliest thing that could happen, "W-What? You must be kidding right?"

"Wait. You don't know it, Sir? You're her friends, right? Her friends must be by her side right now especially that she is currently in a dangerous state" 

Key's jaw hang low as he tried analyze the girl's expression and what he's on the girl's eyes is pure honesty. He look at Woohyun and he seems to be not in the mood right now. His eyes were only staring on the same direction and he knows that his friend is grieving silently right now.

Woohyun can't understand any of these things. The nurse was right, if you considered him even as a friend then you would have told him the truth on the first place. A mixed of frustration and guilt overflowed him because he should've been there for you at the times you needed him.

Not as a lover because he knows that you couldn't just accept him as that kind of person but as a friend that you could trust and rely on.

He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs but he just can't. He clench his fist as a tear rolled at the edge of his eye. He wiped it secretly and yet a loud ringtone woke him and shifted him back to reality.

He looked at the corner of his eye to see an aggravated Key, searching for his phone on his wallet. After some minutes of fishing his pockets, here and there, he gave an annoyed expression to Woohyun signaling that it is their manager.

The only thing he heard is Key saying 'Arasso, Arasso' while rolling his eyes. At the back of Woohyun, Key was probably scolded again by his manager for being missing in action for the nth time.

Woohyun had known Key for some time now and he knows that Key wants to go now when he had that specific awkward expression on his face.

Woohyun forced a smile and muttered, "You can go now, Key. I'm fine".

"Are you sure?" He mouthed.

Woohyun grinned like there's no tomorrow and nodded in agreement. After some seconds, Key was gone and Woohyun is the only one left at the suffocating hallway.

"You said that she's in a dangerous right? For how long do you think she is able to live. She can make it for a year right?" Woohyun cleared his throat and forced himself to speak. He turned his attention to the nurse who is now pre-occupied with some paper works.

The nurse expression drooped low and looked at Woohyun in sympathy, "I'm afraid not, Sir. Her time is so limited and apparently she can only live for just a month right now. I'm really sorry to tell that".

He blinked innocently trying to resort what he've heard or was he just mishearing what she said, "Huh? But.."

"I'm really sorry" The nurse looked at Woohyun with pure sympath. Her face lit up when she saw something glistening on the hallway. It's like she've found an angel. A sad yet beautiful angel.

Her lips curved to a genuine smile and tapped Woohyun's shoulders, "I guess who you are waiting is here after all. Please talk to her, Sir".

At first, Woohyun scowled because he can't understand what the girl is talking about. But when he came to his senses and looked at where she is referring to, he couldn't understand the excitement enveloping his entire body. That girl is definitely, Wonhee.

But there's something different with her aura. It feels like you are carrying something heavy and the world fell down on you like you were the only person in this world.

"It was nice talking to you. Thank you for all the information" Woohyun said nonchalantly as he jogged his way toward the halls. He didn't care where you'd take him. As long as he can see you and follow you, it's okay with him.

 

 

 

 

 

Woohyun watched you as you clutched the strap of your bag. You are holding a body bag and as far as he know, you are too pre-occupied with your own thoughts that you forgot that your bag is now touching the floor which cause it to be dirty and yet you are too busy to notice. 

He hid himself behind some walls as he watch you heaved a sigh. Later did he know, tears are rolling from your eyes and you are so tired to think about your appearance in front of other people.

Woohyun bit his lips as his face turned to a sullen expression. His heart breaks seeing you like this. All this time, he's been thinking about how to get you from Myungsoo that he didn't even care about what you feel and what you want to do.

He wanted to punch himself for being so selfish. Shout and scream while his throat hitches. He want to be the man who would wipe your tears.

Finally you were out of the hospital but later did he notice that the rain is too heavy, the streets were semi-flooded and only a few people were wandering on the streets.

The wind gushing sent shivers to his spine and the ticks of the rain made him stop from walking. But what surprised him is the silhouette of a young lady ambling carelessly on the streets like it's the safest thing to do.

His heart clenches, Are you that pre-occupied to walk on the rain like a lonely person who doesn't have anyone to love you?

He tilted his head to search for some umbrella. He looked at his surroundings if there are any guards near him and when he realized it is safe to take one umbrella beside the door, he snatched one and immediately jogged to where you are.

He searched around the streets to find you but he failed. His heart is abnormally throbbing on his chest and the only thing that could make this stabilize is seeing you. He wants to make sure you are safe when you come home.

After some minutes of walking, He saw a girl standing at the corner of the street. The girl is constantly hugging her soaking and wet self, probably making herself warm from the cold made by both air and rain mixed together.

He walked silently to where you are and as he gets nearer, the clearer he could hear your sobs ever so loudly.

He reached your place and decided to cupped you from the rain using the umbrella he stole from the hospital.

You had your head hang low and you didn't care when the rain would stop. As long as you are alone and intact with yourself, it is okay for you to be wet.

You noticed that the rain is not pouring anymore and yet, a pair of shoes is not in front of you causing you to squirm from your position. 

You traced the owner of the figure from his toe up to his face and you were surprised to see who is the person standing in front of you right now, "W-Woohyun".

Woohyun gaze at her with significant and sincere eyes. He caress her cheeks softly and carefully as she stared at him in shock. He ran his hands towards her hair and curled her fringe at the edge of her ears.

"What are doing here?" She mumbled softly because she doesn't have the strength to push him away. She is so weak now and all she wanted is a person who would be with her at this kind of time.

She've never felt so safe. So precious and she doesn't want to let go. She miss being this close to him. Only Woohyun could make her the happiest in the world and all she needs right now is one time to be with him, just this once.

She stared at him through those puffy red eyes and spoke through her muffled sobs, "Woohyun.."

Woohyun didn't waste any time. He welcomed her in his arms like she's the most precious thing in the world. Through the way her scent lingers his body, he couldn't just let go. It feels like a magnetic attraction and he didn't mind being wet because all he wanted right now is, time with the girl the he really loves.

You buried your head on his chest as you continued to cry. You didn't care about anything that is happening right now. It hurts too much right now and minding things is the least thing you could do.

He continued to rubbed your back as you let out all your worries on him. Seeing you like this hurts him too much. He doesn't want to see you cry. To see you as lonely as hell.

But what can he do? Even the mere reality also breaks his heart into pieces. 

"Why are you still here? I pushed you away didn't I? Why are you still here, Huh?" You muttered through your sobs.

"Don't worry. I'm here as a friend. You don't have to worry. I already know about your condition" He murmured through his breaths.

"I-I'm really sorry, Wonhee"

You bit your lip, still bawling on his shirt. You wanted to go away but you can't, you secretly enjoyed his presence, hugging you and being there for you.

"I guess It's not illegal to be friends once again right?" He secretly smiled as he looked at your head.

You twisted your lips and wiped the tears on your cheek. You pulled yourself away and looked at him.

"Can I at least do that for you?" He beamed at you with honesty in his eyes.

You nodded lightly and stared at the ground, "It was your choice not mine, Woohyun".

He jumped in delight and hugged you once again and now much tighter. You didn't pushed him away which made him smiled secretly. The two of you stayed like that for a moment and later did you know that the rain has stopped falling just like the suffocation in your heart that you've been hiding for years now.