I'll start to be a better wife

Hello, Onew-appa

 

As days pass by, Onew suddenly became as busy as any other promoting idol again. Preparing for the comeback, SHINee has to do this and that to meet the proper preparation for a full length album.

That morning, Onew left early for work. He wasn’t able to have a glimpse of Soo Jin’s umma who arrived 30 minutes after he went off.

“Is he normally this early?” She shook her head. “He is such a busy person. I’ve seen him around on television these days. Are you sure he’s taking enough rest?”

Soo Jin suddenly felt guilty inside. She isn’t taking care of him properly, is she? Her mom looked at her as she noticed the uneasiness of Soo Jin regarding the topic.

“You’re not acting as a wife, I see.” She said while arranging the plants inside their house. “I told you before that being married to him, living together with him, make you a complete woman with a family. You should at least try to care for him because he is your husband.”

“But…”

“But you don’t love him?”

Well…

“The fact that he is the father of your daughter makes him as special as Soo Ki as well.” Her mom cleared. “Don’t tell me you never have this care and attention to him? Not even a single bit?” She smiled.

“Of course, I do. After all, Onew has been a good father to Soo Ki.”

“And probably not as good husband, too?”Her mother chuckled. “You kids still act as if what you are doing is a joke. Do you think this relationship can survive with paying attention to Soo Ki alone? Don’t you think there are things to work out for the both of you, too? I mean, come on, Soo Jin.”

She just bowed her head and listened to her mother carefully.

“You should think a lot about this. And besides, Soo Ki will be happier to see her parents give some affection to each other. You know, kids these days.”

I see Onew’s efforst in trying to be such a good man. Seeing how he always tries to ask me first before doing anything, makes me feel like I’m a part of his world now.

But… how about in my case?

Am I able to make him feel he’s a part of my world now, too?

She was thinking deeply when Soo Ki pulled her sleeves. “Why, hun?”

“Umma… how do I make sandwiches?” The little girl asked.

“Oh? Are you hungry again, my dear?”

Soo Ki shook her head. “I’ll feed appa when he comes home.”

Soo Ki is taking my obligations to him. This kid is so intelligent to notice I’m not caring for his father. You, baby, what made me raise you this smart?

Right. I probably need to do something to at least provide proper attention to him. I must accept how my life changed. I only own 1/3 of my life. The other third is for Soo Ki, and the other one is for him.

Onew called late afternoon that he will be home at around 6 pm because SHINee has a schedule at 3 am the next morning.  He asked if he should buy a dinner for them since she might be busy to cook for them.

“It’s fine, Onew-ssi. I can manage.” She said and hang up.

Should I drop the formalities, too? But he’s talking to me in much formal way. It’s awkward to talk to him comfortably if he, who is older, talks to me formally.

“Good. Soo Ki-yah, what should we have for dinner?”

“CHIICCKKEENNN!!!”  Her daughter immediately answered.

“Oh right. I knew it would be like this. Should I call appa to ask what he wants?”

She was dialing his number when she suddenly remembered. “Oh, right. He probably likes chicken, too.”

But… fried chicken again? He always brings fried chicken at home. Aren’t they getting sick already? Really, My husband and my daughter’s weird cravings.

Wait, I just called him my husband. Oh never mind. He is, after all.

Soo Jin likes to experiment around kitchen. She took out the chicken meat in the fridge and thought about how she should present another dish that can make the two crave enough more than just fried chicken.

She put the chicken into the pan.

Garlic. Took 4 cloves, minced it and put in the meat.

She put about 1/8 teaspoon of salt…

Put soy sauce… depends on her instincts..

Black pepper, one pinched.

She put it to boil and then add vinegar after…

Wow, this is getting good.

When the sauce is almost gone, she put sugar and mixed it until it tasted nice.

This is good enough **

She was setting the table when a familiar voice was heard.

“Appa is here, umma!!” Soo Ki shouted from the living area. She smiled.

The first victim of this bomb just arrived.

She turned to the table and saw Onew inside the dining area, carrying Soo Ki on his arms.

“What’s the smell?” He sniffed like a puppy. “I feel dumb of not remembering what dish I smell right now.”

“You’re not dumb. It’s just that this is the first time you’ll ever gonna taste this dish.” She chuckled as she placed the plate with her experimental chicken meal on the dinner table.

“First time?” He put Soo Ki on his left, and Soo Jin will occupy the seat on his right. “Should we taste umma’s cooking, Soo Ki-ah?”

Being courteous enough, it has to be Onew who will taste the food first.

Soo Jin felt her heart goes *dugun* *dugun*.

Onew immediately closed his eyes when he tasted it.

“Oh sweet lord…” He uttered. “Come on, Come on, Soo Ki-ah. Eat this, ppali.” And he immediately feed her.

“Deliciousss!!” Soo Ki exclaimed.

“Aiii… Chinchhaa!” He looked really funny, but adorable at the same time. “Jinniee-ah.. why aren’t you eating?”

She almost forgot to eat because these two’s adorable expressions captivate her.

Oh? How did he just call me? Jinnie?

“What do you call this dish?” He asked when his plate is almost empty.

“I don’t know… I just randomly put what I want in there.” She noticed there’s no rice on his plate anymore. “Do you still want rice?”

She didn’t wait for his answer for she knows he still wants more. She took the rice and put some on Onew’s plate.

The act that suddenly surprised Onew. Did she just start to care about me?

“This is jackpot, umma. Jackpot.” Soo Ki cutely uttered… “jackpot” being said in English.

“Jackpot?” Onew repeated and laughed. He knew Soo Ki heard this from Minho before.

“Deh, Jackpot Dish!”

“Oh right! We’ll call this Jackpot!” Onew declared.

Soo Jin can only laugh…

“Oh… but don’t you have some work to do?”

“Do you think I should quit?” Soo Jin suddenly asked.

Why does she care about my opinion suddenly?  “Quit? Why? Are you having troubles on work?”

“Let’s say I want to focus more on Soo Ki and the house.” She answered. “Soo Ki is growing up. I need to be beside her always, you know? And besides, if I’m busy, and you’re busy, too, then no one will take care of everything.”

“But you don’t really have to quit, really.” Onew said with concern. “It’s what you want you to do. Don’t sacrifice something that can make you happy.”

“So should I sacrifice those people that make me even happier?” She replied.

Those. I didn’t just indicate it in plural form, did I?

“Well…” Onew shrugged his shoulder. “It seems to me that you have already decided for it.”

“Quite, but I probably need you to say yes in order to get over it.” She said and smiled.

“Then… Sure. It’s good. You should quit.” He said, making Soo Jin hear what she wants to hear.

(A/N: I don't know if there is a dish like this in other country. But in the Philippines, we call it ADOBO. I don't know but I love that dish... And I cook it exactly that way I wrote above. Okay. I'm off now to do house chores. PS. I have the feeling that mom's gonna ask me to cook ADOBO for today. well, then, see you for the rest of the updates later!)