Chapter 65

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Felix sits at his desk, trying his best not to fall asleep while doing his homework. School had started again just a week ago and yet they were already being showered with work. He groans softly and finally gives in to the tiredness clouding his eyes. Resting his head on top of his textbook, the boy closes his eyes, a promise to just rest them formulating in his mind.

With his mind off of school, he slowly drifts his thoughts to the break, when his father showed up, when he went over to Athena's unexpectedly, when he kissed Athena.

At this, Felix raises his hands to his cheeks, heat rushing to them. He still couldn't believe it. He kissed Athena. She kissed him back! It had been so picturesque, with the fireworks in the background and the snow, it was just perfect. He could remember exactly how her lips felt on his, even if it was just for a moment. Every one of his senses was heightened when he pulled her closer, nothing else existed except for the two. Just thinking about it gave him butterflies. And yet, they hadn't spoken since that night. Once school started, Athena went out of her way to avoid Felix. Not like before, but in a new way. She'd walk to school with him but make sure to be a million steps ahead and she wouldn't sit next to him in class or at lunch.

Felix was a little hurt, but what could he do? He didn't want to force anything on her and honestly, he felt just as awkward as he was assuming she was. He liked her. He was sure of it now but it still seemed as though Athena wasn't sure of her feelings.

A grumbling noise fills his ears and the boy looks down at his stomach. He was hungry. He had been ever since he came back home, but Felix was avoiding going downstairs. The main floor had become a battlefield and after two days of it, Felix decided he would skip out on the war happening below. So, for the past weeks, Felix managed to leave the house early enough that his mother couldn't hold him back for breakfast and stay in his room until both parents went to sleep so he could eat dinner in peace. It was working, for the most part, but it seemed today was not a day he could hold it in.

I'm sure, one night won't kill me, right? His stomach grumbles in response and Felix sighs. He lifts his head and pushes his chair backward. Off to war we go.