Chapter 62

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

"This is going to be so fun!" Somi gleams as she pulls Athena through the crowded streets of Seoul.

Athena shudders in response. This is so not going to be fun. Okay, well, that was definitely an exaggeration. But, with the freezing temperatures (that brought no snow, might I add) and the heightened hustle and bustle of the largest city in the country, Athena just knew something out of the ordinary was bound to happen.

After a slightly disastrous Christmas celebration, which was made just a little better with Felix's surprise visit (Athena still needed to question him about that whole situation), Chan suggested they all head to Seoul for some New Year's festivities. Especially since this year, they would all be turning 20, the legal drinking age, Chan had wanted to treat them out to something special. The others were quick to agree and Athena needed a reason to get away from her terrorizing thoughts. So, the plan was set, and yet now, on the eve of the new year, Athena can't help but find herself wishing she was anywhere but in Seoul.

"Oh stop sulking Athena!" Jisung suddenly exclaims. His puffed cheeks come into Athena line of sight and she sighs.

"I'm not sulking. I'm just... tired?"

She didn't know how to explain it, but somehow, Athena already felt drained. Of course, Jisung isn't satisfied and continues to muse on.

"Everywhere we go, moping, moping, moping!"

"Hey, stop being so mean. It's not like she needs to be energetic twenty-four-seven like you are!" Somi says.

Jisung gasps. "Oh. My. Gosh! I thought that's what you loved about me."

"Love and hate."

Jisung dramatically leans against Changbin who frowns but holds the boy up.

"Come on you two," Chan says. "We're going to miss the fireworks if we don't hurry up."

"But-but!"

Chan raises his hand and urges the group forward.

Jisung walks forward with a pout. "You two always gang up in me."

Chan and Somi just shrug innocently. Athena giggles softly and smiles as Seungmin redirects Jisung's attention to a fish cake stand up ahead.

"Are you actually okay?"

Athena looks to her left. Felix had caught up to her pace (or slowed down) and was walking beside her, glancing toward her with worry.

"I'm okay, really. I just didn't get much sleep last night."

Which was likely due to her nightmares. She thought going out would make things better, but somehow, it was making things worse. It was going to be a new year. She'd made it all the way to the end of another year and yet she could only think about someone who hadn't. Hyunjin wasn't here. He didn't make it and that alone was enough to make Athena feel horrible for celebrating this milestone.

Felix watches her gaze for a moment before looking forward at their friends.

"You don't have to feel guilty."

"What do you mean?"

Felix just smiles. He grabs her hand and pulls her to the fish cake stand where the crew was enjoying their first go.

What did he mean? How did Felix know what I was thinking? Or maybe he didn't? Athena wants to ask him but he's too busy talking to Chan about how good the food tastes.

"Should we just go to the Lotte tower now, or wait a little?" Seungmin asks with a fish cake in his mouth.

Athena checks the time and sees it's almost 10:00. "Let's start heading over. It's a little while on foot anyway."

The rest of the group agrees and after one last stick of fish cakes, they're off.

As they walk along the bright-lit streets of the city, Athena can't help but observe her friends. Despite his joking attitude, the girl can tell that Jisung must be worrying about something. Likely the new year and its unexpected journeys to bring, or maybe, something more, something she had been feeling herself.

Jisung and Hyunjin had been very close and Athena knew it hurt it to see one of his best friends disappear forever. Her attention is drawn to Seungmin and Changbin who actively added Jisung into their conversations, like they were thinking what she was thinking.

Chan and Somi walk beside each other, whispering in hushed tones. Somi smiles at something he says and somehow moves closer to his side. Their hands brush and Athena smiles as she watches them both blush profusely.

"You know, you stare a lot more than I thought you would."

Athena snorts with a roll of her eyes. "I wasn't staring. I'm watching the people around me."

"Same difference," Felix says. "But, whatever you want to believe."

The two are quiet after that. Athena tries not to be obvious but she glances every once in awhile at the boy beside her. Even after everything, he still seemed. . . okay. As much as Athena wanted answers, she was simply worried. Was he truly okay? What was his father doing here? Was that why he had come over? Too many questions cloud Athena's mind, and clearly focus, as she jumps back when she feels Felix's hand against her cheek.

He tilts her face towards his and smiles.

"You're worrying too much," the boy states.

"I'm not! I just-"

Felix places a finger to her lips and shakes his head. "No explanations. We don't need them, not today. It's New Year's Eve, the eve of a new year. This is not the time to worry, okay?"

Athena nods slowly and Felix grins.

"Good. Now, we are going to go see the fireworks and then get drunk for the first time and just enjoy ourselves today. No worrying."

"No worrying," Athena repeats softly.

And with that, Felix grabs her hand, pulling her forward and giving her no time to dwell on her thoughts any longer.

Maybe, it wouldn't be so bad.
 

~~~~

a/n

the amount of time it took me to decide if they could walk to the lotte tower from somewhere in seoul was enough to write three more chapters :s

lol hope you enjoyed

~tallproud