Chapter 20

Letting Go (The Stray Kids Collection: Story #1)

Felix follows Athena, matching her pace so they're walking side-by-side. As they walk, their fingers brush slightly, erupting a volcano of butterflies in Athena's chest. Somewhere inside of her, Athena wanted to intertwine their hands together. She wanted to feel the warmth from his hand in her own, soothing all worry away. She simply wanted to know how it felt to have their hands clasped as one but Athena believed it to be wrong. She couldn't think this way, not when she was a murder who had blood on her hands; who ruined someone else's life with her hands. At the thought, Athena slips her hands into her sweater pockets, much to Felix's dismay.

They walked for a little while more before reaching a bridge over looking the highway. The view was an odd kind of pretty. One that showed the sunset and it's flowering of colour across the sky while a busy, noisy mess roared beneath it.

"This is beautiful," Felix breathes out, watching the colours of pink, violet, and orange appear across the horizon.

"It is. Not many people who come here get to see the sunset. They're too busy hurrying home, annoyed with the sounds of the cars, " Athena explains. "At first I had been like them too. Then, someone special showed me all that I was missing. It became our spot. Somewhere that allowed us to remember that our worries and fears aren't always as big as they seem."

Felix watches as Athena speaks and sees the saddest of smiles appear upon her lips. He wanted to ask if the special someone was Hyunjin but he knew it wasn't the time and place.

"I wish summer lasted for forever," Felix says.

"Really?" Athena questions. "I thought you we're excited for school?"

"I am, but my Mom's been the one instigating the excitement. In reality, I'm actually super nervous. I like just doing nothing and hanging out with you. "

"Oh. "

Silence envelopes them. Both Athena and Felix's hearts race at the words Felix voiced. It wasn't much really, but it was enough to make Athena lose all proper thought processing. He enjoys hanging out with me? That alone had Athena feeling something. It made her feel a type of happiness she hadn't felt since the incident. Felix on the other hand, worried of how his words affected Athena. He hadn't meant to even say them but they just flew out of his mouth. For some reason, around Athena, he couldn't control himself.

Athena lets out a cough and then awkwardly says, "I think she's just excited you'll be out of the house, and your dad and her can have some time to themselves."

Felix noticeably flinched at the mention of his dad and shrugs. "I guess so."

"Where is your dad anyway? I don't think I've ever seen him," Athena states.

"He's busy. He usually has business to attend to overseas so he isn't home much. "

Felix voice goes soft and his gaze focuses back on the violet sky before them. Athena notices him tense up slightly and decides to drop the topic of his parents.

"Thank you, " Athena voices suddenly.

The boy looks at her confused. "For what? "

"For being here with me. For not asking questions. For everything you've done with me these past weeks. You don't know how grateful I am for all the little things you've done."

At this, Felix's confidence suddenly grows and he slips his hand into hers. He sends her a charming smile that ignites a fire in her heart, all logic gone from her mind.

"Anytime Athena," he whispers.

And for once, Athena didn't pull away.