Game Over

Away from the Limelight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What was that all about?" the guy asked, as soon as she got in the car.

"Not now, Josh." she said and Josh didn't push for it. He knows her, well enough to know she need some quiet time. Pushing her to say something will just make things worse.

"Ahjussi, let's go home." she instructed the driver.

They stayed silent throughout the journey both of them just staring outside the window. it was just a 20-minute ride but the tension seems to be dragging the trip too long. As soon as they entered her house, they headed straight to the living room.

 

"Welcome to Seoul, Josh. Welcome to my pad." she tried to sound enthusiastic trying to shrug off whatever happened earlier. She couldn’t make sense with what just happened.

"Thanks, Babe!" then they fell silent again sitting in the sofa set. Josh knew she still wasn’t ready. She’s obviously not okay. Her face clearly shows that there is too much going on in her head.

 

Few minutes have past and they were still in silence. Ashley’s out of it. She was just staring blankly at the coffee table which clearly had nothing interesting placed there. Her mind is wandering. Josh has been trying to weigh if he should say something or not. A few more minutes have past and he suddenly stood up getting Ashley’s attention.

 

"Ash! you need a damn good hug, come here!" as he spread his arms wide waiting for her to stand but she just stared to him blankly.

“Come on, Ash. You don’t want to see my arms fall off, do you?” he jokingly said to make the atmosphere lighter.

 

Ashley finally stood up, approached him and hugged him. He tightened his hug and uttered. "It's time to cry now, dear. I don’t know what happened. You don’t have to say a thing. I know your hurting. The last time I saw that face was when that bastard ex-lover of yours broke your heart" he would always say the “it’s time to cry now” line whenever she's bottling up her emotions. As soon as she heard him say those words, tears trickled down her face. She sobbed silently, all he’s hearing is the sniffing sound from crying. He didn’t say a word and just let her cry in his embrace. They stayed in that position for about 15 minutes until Ashley broke off the hug. That was his cue to ask questions.

 

"Ready to talk about it now?" he asked and she nodded.

“Where’s the kitchen?” he inquired. She pointed where the kitchen was.

He went to the kitchen, grabbed some beer and ashtray.

"Now we're ready." as he tossed the beer to her and lit his cigarette.

"I'll cut the chase. obviously there's something going on between you and that guy. Explain." he said.

 

"I'm sorry if I haven't been updating you with my life here, but everything that's happening was just too fast that I was trying to balance everything. You're right when you said there's something going on between us. We're not together as in girlfriend-boyfriend type of relationship. Well, at least not yet. He did ask me to be his girlfriend but I told him I need more time." she started.

 

"What?! when all these time I thought you were too busy working but here you are having the time of your life?" he reacted, obviously teasing Ashley.

"Babe! I was really busy with work! It just so happened that my so-called non-existent love life decided to be reincarnated." she defended.

"I was just kidding." he laughed. "So what's stopping you? you don't like him?"

 

"I DO! I honestly do." she exclaimed.

"Woah, hold up! breaking news!!! A guy has finally break in all your walls! I didn't expect to hear "I like him" from you, well at least not till the next decade." he teased and getting a hard slap in his arm from Ashley.

"Hey! I'm being serious here!" she insisted and he continued laughing while nursing his arm.

"I'm sorry. I just didn't expect that flying here to Seoul will give me a news of a lifetime. Anyway, you haven't answered my question. If you like him, then what's stopping you from being in a relationship with him?" he curiously asked.

“You know my issues, Josh.” She replied.

“What issues? Your commitment issues and that you’re scared to get hurt?” she nodded.

“Come on, Ash! It’s been years since your last relationship. I haven’t said a word about you and your issues in love since I know you needed time to heal but now that you’ve found a guy whom you can outright tell me you like, don’t you dare let your issues get in the way.”

 

“FYI, Ash. The last time you actually told me that you have a boyfriend, it took you 5 months into the relationship before telling me. 5 months, and I’m your best friend. And here you are, 3 months in Seoul and you’re telling me that you actually like someone. I was not exaggerating when I got surprised coz you – a very secretive girl – would actually tell me, without any hesitation that you like this guy. THAT SAYS A LOT.” He explained.

 

“I know. I’m actually surprised, myself, that I could easily say that I like someone. I even told him that I like him, a lot and…”

“Wait, what?! You already told him. Then why are you telling me that you asked more time from him?” he butted in. “This is so not you, Ash. Before we get into more details, can you tell me who the hell is this guy first?”

 

“Okay. But can you please stop butting in and let me finish before reacting. Gosh! What’s with the overly enthusiastic feel about my story?!” she bickered.

“Well, I’m sorry, Ms. Martinez. Coz what you’re telling me right now is so out of your character, which makes me a lot more curious about who turned the ice princess to a softy.” He rebutted. “Fine. I’ll zip

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter