Big Reveal

Away from the Limelight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ASHLEY POV

As I reached the 15th floor, I suddenly felt uncomfortable. Why do I feel that something big is about to happen? I feel that this would be different from the usual emergency meeting we'd have. And am I right with my gut feel that this meeting was called especially for me. Did I do anything? I don't have any pending projects or blown up projects. Hmmmm... Oh welll, here goes nothing. I took a deep breathe before entering the boardroom. I see that the whole management is here and I'm the only one missing.

"Good morning everyone, I'm sorry I'm late, I got the notice late and I tried to get here as fast as I could. I hope I didn't miss a lot" I uttered as I took a seat.

"Oh hi dear! No worries, it's my fault as I called for the meeting just this morning, and I know that you're not a morning person. Thank you for being here." Ms. Reyes, our president said with a wide grin across her face.

I looked around and they are coyingly smiling towards me. Something's really not right. "Okay everyone, you're all dismissed, I'd like to speak with Ms. Martinez privately" Ms. Reyes instructed. uhm, that's weird. I thought this was an emergency Management meeting, why is everyone leaving. "Brenda..." I started, trying to call the attention of our president. We normally address each other by our first names. "I thought this is a management meeting, why are you asking everyone to leave. Am I missing anything here? Have you discussed all that needed to be settled why I wasn't here?"

"Ashley, I've already told them what I needed to tell them, now I need to talk to you privately since the thing that I'll be telling you is very crucial. Don't worry, they already know what I'm about to tell you" she cooed. But that didn't make me feel any better. If they all know what Brenda's about to tell me, should I feel more worried? I suddenly felt jittery as I watch everyone leaving. I caught some of them giving me a smile or a comforting nod. I was in deep thought until I heard Brenda calling me.

"Ashley... How are you?" she started cutting me from daydreaming. 

"I'm good, loaded with work but having been in this industry for 3 years now, I know it's quite impossible not to be loaded with work. Overall, everything's working well, everything's under control" I answered.

"Is there anything that you need help with, with work?" she asked.

"Everything's under control. You know me. I won't allow anything to be out of our control. The team is doing great! If I could have 2 more headcount in my team then that will be a lot better" I chimed hoping that I would be given an approval and expand my team. Honestly, there's too much work in our plates that we're already spread out too thin. I'm scared that anytime, my team members would just snap and leave.

"Well, that's something we could consider doing." She suggested. Okay, this is creeping me out. I've been requesting that for 5 months now but I always get a straight no answer. Why is she approving this now. that's not right. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have an addition to my team but my boss' approval out of nowhere is suspicious. I can't take this anymore.

"Brenda, let's cut the chase. I know there's something big you're about to say that involves me or probably my job, I've been having this iffy feeling since morning and I've had enough stares and coying smiles all morning for me to conclude that some great news is about to be thrown at me. So let's just get straight to the point before I lose my sanity for thinking what the real deal is." I told her irritatingly. She knows well that I hate beating around the bush and more than that, I hate it when there's something going on be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter