Taking Chances

Into the New World

 

We had just got to our dorm. I was seriously so tired. I didn’t even want to wash tonight. I headed straight for my room. Collapsing on my bed I couldn’t help but smile. I thought over the events that happened tonight.

“Care to explain to me what the hell that was?”

I sat up to see my blonde roommate staring back at me with a smirk on her face. , she saw it.

“What, what was Sunny?” I replied innocently.

“Oh come on Tiff, I watched you two.”

What? How could she do that?

“Yah! Why would you do that?”

She only laughed at me. I was super embarrassed. I sat on my bed and waited for the older girl to speak.

“Oh don’t look like that Tiff, I think it’s sweet.” I smiled to myself at her words. “How exactly did that even happen?”

“Uh, well,” I started. “You know how we’ve been texting?” I saw her nod. “We text each other like all day, and he’s just always so sweet and genuine when he talks to me.” I couldn’t stop talking. “We talk about everything, and you know how hard it is for me to open up about things. He always worries about me sleeping and eating and I think that it’s so cute, and oh my god. You’ve seen how attractive he is right?” I didn’t even pause for her to answer. “Don’t even get me started on his smile, oh my g-”

“TIFFANY HWANG!”

Her loudness alone was enough to get my attention. I stopped and looked blankly at her.

“You are totally in to him,” she said with a smile.

She was right, and I knew it. I didn’t want to admit it to myself, but here I am. Ugh, I mentally groaned. I looked at the floor. There were so many questions running through my head. It hadn’t been this way when Nichkhun started flirting with me. It never felt this… right? Nice?

“Sunny, what do I do?” I felt my bed dip in beside me and an arm wrap around my shoulder.

“Hmm, well since he’s already head over heels for you it won’t be hard.”

I sat straight up and looked at her.

“Oh come on Tiff, it doesn’t take more than a set of eyes to notice that,” she said and then laughed.

I smiled thinking about all the times it had been obvious to me. “I guess you’re right.”

“Of course I am. They only thing I’m worried about though is him.”

My smile dropped immediately. “What do you mean? I thought you said he was head over heels for me?”

“Yah, not anything like that don’t freak out. It’s just that he’s a shy little booger.” I shook my head at her waiting for her to get to the point. “You’ll probably have to make the first move.”

It was silent for a minute or so. She was right. I’ve been the one to make the first moves so far. He didn’t even ask me for my number! Sunny suddenly stood up and turned to me.

“Hey, don’t frown,” she said as she moved my mouth into a smiling position with her hands. “It’ll all be okay. I really think you guys will be perfect together. I’m going to go shower now.”

“I hope so,“ I mumbled to myself as I watched her walk out of the room. I pulled out my cell phone and sent a message to Taeyeon. While I waited for a reply I laid down on my bed replaying earlier in my mind I could stop smiling, and yawning. I checked my phone, and nothing.

I decided to send him one more text before I plugged my phone in to the wall and tried to go to sleep.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I groggily opened my eyes. I looked around the room. Yuri was still asleep, but I couldn’t see Soo anywhere. I figured since I was already awake I would stay up. I reached for my phone to check the time.

What? I have three unread messages.

Text Message
From: Tiffany

Tonight was the best. We’ll all have to get together like that more often, or just a few of us. Either would be perfect.

From: Tiffany

Goodnight Tae! Good luck recording tomorrow ^^

Omo how could I have fallen asleep before I texted her back. Aish, I could hit myself in the head right now. I checked the third message.

From: Manager Hyung

They said if we could find one that worked for us they would allow it. So bring a song or two with you today. I’ll be there at around 11:30.

Double Omo. I totally forgot about the song. It was a good thing I already knew which one I wanted to use. I went to my drawer that was beside my bed and pulled out the song I had been writing these past months.

I thought I should try to find Soo to see if he would read it and make sure he liked it, so I made my way in to the living room area. He was on the sofa, eating. What’s new?

“Hey Soo, do you want to read the song I want to try to get on the album? Can you make sure it doesn’t completely?”

His eyes lit up. “Of course I can,” he said while setting his food down. “Give me give me give me!” he had his hands out like a child would have. I shook my head and took a deep breath.

I handed it to him and he quickly snatched it out of my hands. I then went to the fridge to see what there was to eat. I couldn’t watch him read it. That would kill me.

I didn’t feel like fixing anything so I just went simple and made a bowl of cereal. I took my time walking back to where Sooyoung was.

When I reached him he was still reading it. I sat down across from him and he still hadn’t said anything. This is weird.

“Uh, Soo?”

He looked up at me clearly surprised by my presence.

“Oh yeah, uh. Taengo this is great.”

“You really think so?”

“Yeah definitely, they’ll love it,” he paused. “Does Tiffany noona know?”

I froze. I was really hoping that he wouldn’t have picked up on that. The song might have been slightly about her.

“No, and you’re not going to tell either,” I told him firmly.

“Arasso... Which part would be mine?” He brought his attention back to the notebook.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A couple of hours later we were in the studio waiting on one of the producers. I held on to the notebook in my hand nervously. The door opened and a man I hadn’t seen before along with our manager came in. We stood and bowed to him. After we introduced ourselves the man sat at the table with us.

“I heard you all had something to show us.”

“Yes, I’ve been writing this song off and on for the past month or so and I’d like to know it we could put it on our album.” I handed him the sheet of paper. “I was thinking Sooyoung could kind of rap the first verse, and then Yuri would come in next with his deeper, sultrier tone. Then I would come in on the chorus and hit the powerful notes. After that we could just repeat the pattern. That’s just how I saw it, you’re obviously the genius though so…” I trailed off as I noticed he was nodding his head.

“Could you give me a sample of it right now?”

We all looked at each other.

“Ye-yeah, we just saw the song today but we can give it a shot,” Yuri said.

The man handed the paper back and we started.

Sooyoung started rapping the first verse as I tried to give them pointers on how I felt it should have been.

“Okay Soo, a little cockier. That’s it!” It moved to Yuri’s part. “Alright, alright, now sound ier Yul. There we go!” It was now my turn and I sang it just how I thought it should be.

Once we were done the producer clapped for us. “That was great. I think we can add this to the album for sure. I’ll have my team see if they can put a beat to it. Was there any certain feeling you wanted it to have?”

My jaw dropped at all his comments, I saw Sooyoung fist pump the air. Was this really happening? I was so excited I couldn’t even speak right.

“Ji-jinjja?” The man nodded. Omo, I might cry.

“Well?”

Right! His question. “I was thinking a sort of like, uh electronic vibe to it? Like even more so than usual.”

He nodded and made a few notes. “Can you photo copy this for me,” he said while turning to his assistant. The guy left and he turned back to us.

“Let’s get started for today.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Text Message
From: Tiffany

Hey! What are you guys up to today? ^^

I smiled as I read the message. I really did miss her. I haven’t seen her since the night we held hands about two weeks ago. We both have been really busy practicing and recording. We still text everyday but I really wanted to see her in person.

Text Message
To: Tiffany

Were at SM. We just got done laying down a few vocal tracks and now were about to go practice some choreography. -_- What are you all doing?

I hit send and continued following Sooyoung down the hall. We finally arrived at the studio we would be using today. I felt my phone vibrate and I quickly checked it before we had to start.

Text Message
From: Tiffany

Jinjja? We’re here too. We get a lunch break in about an hour. Do you guys want to eat together?^^

I smiled again.

“Hyung, can we have lunch in about an hour?”

I saw him look at his watch and turn back to me. “Yeah, that’s fine. I’ll go ahead and order it for you guys.”

I was so happy I was practically bouncing. I quickly replied to Tiffany saying that we would definitely want to. I then put my phone away because the choreographer had just arrived. It was time to get to work. I really wanted this album to be a success. Our first single had some buzz but we were all pretty disappointed in ourselves. The company was very disappointed as well. They have the best of the best under them and here we are not even making a splash. It made us want to work 100 times harder.

The hour could not take longer. It really seemed like it was multiple hours. We had about ten minutes left in the hour and our manager came in with the food. It seriously smelled so good. I could have probably pulled a Sooyoung and ate everything then and there.

With five minutes left the door opened again. This time I really had to stop practicing. I saw Sunny, followed by Tiffany, Jessica and Seohyun with containers of food in their hands.

Everyone noticed and stopped to bow to them.

“Annyeonghaseyo! We’re early aren’t we?” Sunny asked.

“Just a little,” I said while looking at our trainer.

“It’s fine. I’ll be back in an hour. Good job guys.”

We bowed and thanked him again.

Sunny came to us and pulled us into hugs.

“We haven’t seen you in forever. How’s your album coming?”

“It’s going good. We’ve got three songs completely recorded. Only ten more,” Yuri said unenthusiastically.

“Oh good job,” Tiffany said sweetly.

“How is yours going?” Sooyoung said while he started to set out the food our manager brought. We then thanked him as he left the room as well.

“Ours is good too! When do you guys plan on releasing yours?”

“We’re dropping the single on Christmas, and then then the music video for it and the album on January 1st,” I answered frankly.

“Seriously? That’s in three months…” Jessica said disbelievingly.

“Yeah, that’s what they want. We’re going to practically live in this building the next few months,” I said while starting to laugh.

“Wow, that’s going to be rough,” Seohyun chimed in.

“We’ll come by often to visit then!” Sunny cheered.

I laughed at her. ”Nah you don’t have to do that.”

“We insist,” Tiffany then said while smiling at me. I involuntarily started smiling as well.

We ate in silence for the next ten minutes or so. I was so hungry. We had been up early working nonstop.

When everyone was done we had about thirty minutes until our choreographer and manager would be back. No one was moving so I decided I better start to clean up our mess.

I took the plates and utensils to the trash can outside of the practice room. I heard the door behind me open. Rolling my eyes I said, “Sooyoung, seriously it’s fine, I opened it this time.”

He’s been picking on me for like a week. The last time I tried to open the lid on this stupid trash can it took me the longest time to finally get it. While I was struggling I also almost dropped everything. It was really embarrassing, especially when Sooyoung came out and opened it in the first try.

I turned to look at him, but that him was a her, and that her was Tiffany.

“You missed one,” she said shyly while holding up a container the food came in.

“Uh, oh. Mianhae.”

She stepped closer to me and reached past me to throw away the box. However she didn’t take a step back. We were only a foot or so away from each other. At that moment I swear my heart was going a mile a minute. There were so many thoughts racing through my head as I looked at her.

“I missed you.”

I was really surprised to hear that. It was even more shocking when I realized that I was the one that said it. I quickly brought my hands to my face. I really could not believe I let that slip.

“Omo, I didn’t mean to say that out loud. I’m sorry,” I muttered through my hands. I then groaned. I was so embarrassed I really needed to watch myself better.

The next thing I felt was my hands being pulled away from my face.

“I missed you too,” Tiffany said. Her voice was soft and husky, yet still sweet. She kept my hands in hers. “I missed this,” she said as she started to intertwine our fingers.

I could have died right then and there and been perfectly happy about it. We stood there just like that for a minute or so. I really wanted to tell her how I felt about her. I don’t know if I could do it.  I was thinking about all the pros and cons in my head when I was interrupted.

“What’s wrong Tae?”

“Uh, w-what?” I stuttered. How could she know?

“Something is wrong, and I want you to tell me what it is,” she said a little more forcefully this time.

“Nothing’s wrong Tiffany,” I lied with a smile.

“Taeyeon,” she said disbelievingly. “Please.”

She was looking at me sadly. “Ugh,” I groaned. I had to tell her. I don’t think I would do it at all if I didn’t do it right now. “Fine.” This was it. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.

“I like you Fany-ah. I really like you.”

The next thing I know I’m being engulfed in to a hug. I tensed up at the sudden contact, but relaxed once I got used to the feeling of her body against mine. I was not expecting this. I opened my eyes to look at the girl who continued to hug me. I then heard her mumble something I couldn’t quite make out because the sound of my heart pounding in my chest was so overbearing.

“What was that? I couldn’t hear you.”

She then backed up off of me a little and looked me directly in the eye.

“I really like you too Taeyeon.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. I wanted to shout to the world. I could have run through the whole building exclaiming that Tiffany Hwang liked me.

A huge smile grew to my face. “Really?” I asked her. I wanted to hear her say it again.

She nodded. “I really do li-.“ Just then we heard a door open down the hall. She immediately released me and stepped away from me. We saw the woman walk out of the room and down the opposite end of the hall.

Holy crap. That was seriously close.

“W-we should go back inside,” She said softly.

I totally forgot about the five people we left inside. I nodded and followed her in. I saw the rest of our members sitting on the floor, they looked like they were playing some sort of game.

“Finally! Where were you guys?” Yuri asked drawing all the attention to us.

“I was just throw-.”

“Does it really take that long to confess?” Sunny then smirked at us.

My face was probably as red as a tomato now. I started to say something but I was cut off again.

“Oh come on Taeyeon, we all know that’s what happened. We saw it,” she said. My jaw dropped, oh my god this was embarrassing. I looked at Tiffany and she was getting redder by the minute. “Don’t worry though,” Sunny said. “We won’t say anything,” she said with a smile.

“Sunny calm down, we’re not dating,” Tiffany said.

The latter’s eyes widened. She then turned to stare at me. I noticed Sooyoung and Yuri both staring at me as well. What is going on?

“What?”

“You didn’t ask her to be your girlfriend?” Sooyoung almost yelled. “Are you stupid?”

Was I stupid? Should I have asked her? I took a glance at Tiffany. She was looking at the ground playing with her fingers nervously. Oh my god did she want me to ask her? Did I miss a signal somewhere? Did I miss my chance? Omo I might hyperventilate.

I looked at the other people in the room. Sooyoung was still staring at me in disbelief. Yuri and Seohyun seemed to be paying more attention to their phones now. Jessica was mouthing words I couldn’t make out to Tiffany, I figured it must have been in English. Sunny was angrily looking at me. Once we made eye contact she nodded toward Tiffany. I knew exactly what that nod meant too.

They wanted me to ask her, and they wanted me to do it right now. Hell I wanted to do it right now. I wanted to do it months ago. Screw it, I took another deep breath and then turned toward her.

“Tiffany, it’s totally fine if you say no. I know we’ve only know each other for a few months, but I really like you and I would love for you to be my girlfriend,” I paused and took a deep breath yet again. “Will you be my gir-.”

“Yes.”

“It’s okay I under- Wait a minute. What did you just say?”

She was looking at me now. “I said,” she spoke while walking toward me. “I would love to be your girlfriend.”

I suddenly heard a few shrieks and clapping coming from our mini audience that I had completely forgotten was there yet again. Tiffany and I made eye contact. She smiled her signature eye smile at me and I screamed a little on the inside. I really needed to hug her again. Just as I was about to I heard our door open.

“Hey guys are you re- Oh, I didn’t think you all would still be here.”

“Its fine, we were just leaving,” Jessica said and stood up.

I heard a chorus of goodbyes as I watched them all leave. I smiled when I saw Tiffany slightly wave to me.

“Okay,” our choreographer said loudly pulling me back to reality. “Let’s get back to where we were.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thank you to everyone that reads and enjoys my story. ^^
Also, thanks to everyone that voted in the poll on the last chapter!
Don't be afraid to comment!