On Air

Into the New World

 

 

I was alone in the dorm waiting for my members to get back. Sooyoung and Yuri had went to go visit their families yesterday, but since mine was so far away it really wouldn’t have been worth the effort of going. I would have only seen them for a little bit before I had to return.

 Holding Tiffany’s gift in hand I was lying on the sofa re-inspecting it. I picked this out a few weeks ago and now I was unsure about it.

Would she like this? Is it too much? Not enough? Jeesh am I just overthinking everything? Just then I heard the door open.

I hopped up from where I was and pulled the taller guy in to a hug.

“Merry Christmas Soo!”

“You too buddy.” We released from the hug and he spoke again. “What do you have there Tae?” He motioned toward my hand. “Oh my god is it for me,” he said way too dramatically while feigning shock. He was now laughing at his own antics. I shook my head and started to head back to the sofa.

“Seriously though, is that for Tiffany noona?” I nodded. “Let me see it!”

I handed over the small box and waited for him to say something. He never did though. I pried, “Well?”

“Well what?”

“Do you think she’ll like it?!”

He looked at me and then back to the box. “Yeah, she loves pink right, and you picked it out so I’m sure she’ll love it. Girls love this kind of thing Taengo.” I smiled hearing his reassurance. “Here,” he said while handing it back to me.

I put it back in my pocket and went to get a drink. “Hey Soo, when did Yul say he would be back?”

“He’s not already here?” I shook my head. “Hm he should’ve already been here.”

“I’ll try to give him a ca-…” I trailed off because the door in our dorm just opened. It was our manager followed by Yuri. “Yah we were just talking about you!”

“What took you so long?”

“Ahh the traffic today is ridiculous, mianhae.”

“Ne, that’s why we’re leaving for the station soon, everyone go get changed. Let’s go.”

We obeyed and changed into the already approved outfits that were chosen a few days ago. Now that we were regularly seen, we were given more strict rules on what we could wear. We were still allowed to choose, but it had to be approved by our manager. It was fine with us though, we never really tried to wear anything too crazy anyway.

Fifteen minutes later we were in the van stuck in some traffic. It took us way longer than usual to get there but it wasn’t too bad. We were still there an hour early.

We headed up to the room where they allowed us to wait. Our manager, Sooyoung, Yuri and I all took seats. I pulled out my phone to let Tiffany know that we had successfully made it to the station.

“Alright, let’s go over what we are going to say again,” Hyung said while pulling a notebook out of his backpack. We all simultaneously groaned.

“We’ve been over this like five times,” Soo whined.

“Well, one more won’t kill you then. Okay let’s see here...” He continued looking at the notebook in front of him. “Right, what are we saying about the new single?”

“That it’s a song with powerful momentum and really smooth trance beats,” Yuri said mechanically.

“And, that it has strong melodic theme but the lyrics are soft and unexpected,” Soo added. “OH, and Taeng wrote it.”

“Right, that’s the key point here,” he said while making notes in his book. “Then they’ll move to you Taeyeon.” I nodded. I knew it would eventually come. “Be honest with me Tae, is this song really about someone specific? I’m not asking who, I’m just asking if,” he added quickly and calmly.

Should I really tell him? I really didn’t want to get in trouble for this. We weren’t supposed to be dating right? That’s what I’ve heard at least. I especially didn’t want it to be made a big deal and looked in to. That would do no one any good. I glanced at Soo and Yul who were looking straight at me. I saw Sooyoung nod slightly and smile. Crap, if he thinks it’s okay then it probably was. He always knew what to do in any situation. It was kind of annoying really, but nonetheless very helpful, and I guess it is just Hyung. It wouldn’t hurt right?

“Uh y-yeah, it is.” I quickly looked down so I wouldn’t catch his gaze.

“Good, then you won’t have to lie. The company wants you to say that it is about someone when they ask. It will cause more hype behind it and have more people search you guys in hopes to figure it out.”

“Uhh what?” I was taken back. Usually in any situation the K-pop companies frowned on anything to do with dating and liking one another, in a more than friend way anyway. Publicly at least. Here they are though, having me straight up tell the country that I wrote it about someone.

“Yeah, tell them it’s about the girl and then answer any further questions they will have about her.” He paused to look at something on his phone. “Just obviously don’t say names. Hell I don’t even want to know who. I’ve got a call to make. I’ll be right back.”

Once the door closed behind our manager I heard Soo start laughing. Yuri and I started at him for an explanation. When he finally noticed the stares he looked equally as confused as we were.

“Wae?”

“What do you mean? Why are you laughing like a maniac?”

He started chuckling again. “Jinjja? You really aren’t catching it?” We both shook our heads. “You’re going to have to not only sing the song but also talk about her in front of her!”

Oh god I did not think about that.

“This is a broadcasted radio show tonight too,” Yuri added while starting to laugh.

“I seriously hate you guys,” I teased. This was seriously going to be one eventful night.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

We arrived at the studio about fifteen minutes early and were lead in to a room with the PD of the radio show. He sat down with us and started talking about what we were to do today. It wasn’t that hard of a task since we had been on plenty of radio shows. After he handed us the scripts an assistant led us to the place we would be broadcasting from. After they showed us where the cameras were and gave us the head phones it was almost time to start. We heard the opening music begin, and then it was our cue to start.

“Just for today it’s SNSD’s Sunny!”

“And Tiffany’s… Shim Shim Ta Pa!”

There was another music interlude.

“Hello I’m DJ Soon, Sunny”

“And I’m DJ Fang, Tiffany!”

“Waaah, were really doing this!” Sunny exclaimed, as we both started moving around and cheering.

“I think the viewers might be taken aback a little. They might be thinking ‘Why SNSD all of a sudden? Where’s Shindong-ssi?’ So let us explain.”

“Ne,” Sunny chimed in. ”He is actually very sick right now, so Tiffany and I had come to fill in for Shindong oppa. We are curious to what your thoughts are.”

“The messages have been exploding in. An unbelievable amount has been sent in already,” I added in reading somewhat off the script.

“Choi Hyoshin wrote ‘Ah getting to listen to SNSD live on Christmas has made this the best present ever~~~!’”

“Wow! Thank you! But now we’ll go to our first song of the night. Kissing You by SNSD!”

It was about twenty minutes later and TYS was supposed to come in after our next song break. They had no idea we were DJing tonight. Hell I didn’t even know until yesterday, I thought I was just going to pop in with all of them. Sunny introduced the next song and we waited for their arrival. I heard the door open and I immediately smiled.

Sooyoung was the first one to walk in, his eyes went wide and then he started to laugh. Taeyeon was behind him chatting with Yuri, he didn’t notice us yet.

“Sooyoungie! Taengo! Yul!”

That did it. I saw Taeyeon stop mid-sentence and look straight at Sunny who was now walking toward them with her arms wide open. We then locked eyes. His expression was priceless. My grin grew as big as it could when I saw it. I followed suit and gave Sooyoung a small hug. Taeyeon was next. I could only give him a slight hug right now but it still felt good to be in his arms.

“Merry Christmas Fany-ah,” he whispered in my ear as he hugged me back.

I could only smile as we released and I then hugged Yuri. Sunny then directed them to their seats while I sat down in mine.

“Ahh the messages have come in even quicker since our friends have arrived,” I said after looking at the screen in front of me.

“Ne, this message from Gil Jiyun ‘TYS oppas what did you eat to become so handsome?’”

I heard ‘ohhs’ from the boys that were now sitting.

“Thank you for thinking that we’re handsome,” Yuri said while looking at one of the cameras. “If we went through a list of what this kid liked to eat we would be here all night though.” He then playfully pushed Sooyoung a little. We all laughed a little because it was so true. He definitely was a shikshin.

“Alright now that you are all here let’s have you introduce your selves one by one,” Sunny prompted.

“Ne. Hello I am TYS’s leader Taeyeon,” he said as he leaned in toward the mic.

“I am Yuri.”

“And I am TYS’s maknae Sooyoung.”

“Very good!” Sunny cheered and then laughed. “It says here we were supposed to say ‘It’s nice to meet you’ but we’ve met them before many times.”

I laughed after I had read it too in our script. “Jinjja, we’re under the same company and have become good friends so we often see these guys,” I said in agreement. “TYS will be here for the rest of our show with us because they are releasing their brand new single right here on the show!”

We all cheered and clapped. “Now that you brought it up Tiff, let’s go ahead and hear it right now!”

“Jinjja? So soon?” Sooyoung asked.

“Ne! Go go go,” Sunny motioned. “I am seriously so excited to hear this. Can you guys believe that they wouldn’t even give us a sample of what it sounded like?”

“That’s right!” I added. “How rude!” Sunny and I started laughing at ourselves. “Waah jinjja! Look at all the messages coming in saying that you should have let us hear it.” I really couldn’t believe it.

“Hey! You didn’t let us hear yours either Sunny-ah,” Taeyeon spoke up.

“Whatever, here is TYS with their brand new single ‘Beautiful Stranger ( I’m using f(x)’s song, just use your imagination),’ and when I’m saying brand new I mean no one has heard it besides their producers! Enjoy!” Sunny then put her head phones on all the way so she could hear it clearly. I already had mine on perfectly. I was NOT going to miss this.

The music started. I was literately almost bouncing in my seat I was so excited to hear it. The music came in with a sort of creepy electric beat and escalated into some more techno sounding noises, at this point I wasn’t really sure where it was heading. Sooyoung then began rapping and I couldn’t focus on anything other than the lyrics now.

[Sooyoung]
It’s just another story, I fell in love with a foreigner
Yeah and it’s all about me, how can I make you understand me?
That black shadow far away, if I can meet you, I will run thousands of kilometers
Haha the gun shot in my heart goes bang
Let’s go, there is a race right now toward you

[Yuri]
Beautiful Stranger, I’ve fallen into your big eyes
To the mysterious feeling, the language, I open my heart
Beautiful stranger, people say that you’re dangerous
They don’t try to see the you that I see, no~

[Taeyeon]
The stories in the deep silences
You came from a different image, a different world
When you look at me as you extend your warm hands
Take me to the place where you are

[T]Uhohuhohoh [Y] Beautiful Stranger x3
Uhohuhohohoh

[S]
The kid called Curiosity is next to me
It calls me and follows me around form morning to night
The detachment of dreams and reality resemble you
It doesn’t matter, tell me everything, I’m ready
A strange person, a strange us, I want to get to know you, deep into that mask
No matter how heavy the door is
I’ll keep it open so that we can talk a little more

[Y]
Beautiful stranger, an angel with a clear soul
The music that reaches through the tips of my hands, that music possesses my heart
Beautiful stranger, you are mysterious to them
They’re scared of you because they can’t understand, so they just push you away, no

[T]
The stories in the deep silences
You came from a different image, a different world
When you look at me as you extend your warm hands
Take me to the place where you are

[T] Uhohuhohoh [Y] Beautiful Stranger x3
Uhohuhohohoh

[S]
Hey There Don’t Be Shy, talk to me
Look into my eyes,
[Y] beautiful stranger
Don’t hesitate, hold my hand, take me,
[Y] beautiful stranger
You know that I’m different than them, look at my eyes,
[Y] beautiful stranger
[T] Just like this, just like right now, it’s not strange, no~

[T]
You came as a colorless light from far away, with a different look, from a different world
No matter where that is, I’m ready, take me to the place where you are

[T] Uhohuhohoh [Y] Beautiful Stranger x3
Take me to the place where you are

[T]Uhohuhohoh [Y] Beautiful Stranger x3

Uhohuhohohoh

 

 

“Woooo wow!” I heard Sunny say from beside me. Wow was an understatement. I was blown away. “Tiffany, did you like it?”

I took a deep breath and trying to calm myself, we were on a broadcasted radio show. The song was amazing though. Their voices were incredible. It was seriously perfect, Tiffany calm down.

 “Yeah! That was amazing guys! This message from Nan Naeun says ‘Wow wow wow, DAEBAK!”

“Ah thank you so much,” Soo said this time.

“ID 2036 says ‘They’re awesome! I just registered at their fan café!”

“Wow, thank you!” Taeyeon said as he made eye contact with me. I quickly looked away and back to the script.

“It says here your first full album comes out on the first, how excited are you?”

“We’re actually really excited, our first album was just a mini one so I feel like fans will get to know us better and be able to enjoy us more now that there are thirteen songs rather than just six,” Yuri explained. They were doing quite well for still being new to this.

“Ne, we hope so too! Now how did you all pick this song to be your title track?”

“Well the producers had the final say, but they were really excited about this song in particular because Taeyeon here wrote it.”

“Jinjja?” I asked following along with the script. We knew all the answers they were telling us so far but it was just about to get to the good part.

“Yes I did, I started writing it about ehh, four or so months ago.”

“Oh wow, that’s a unique feature isn’t it Tiff?”

I nodded. “That’s right. Not that many people write their own songs in k-pop.”

“Right,” she said and then paused. “Here, user Seo Semi, asked the question I was just about to. ‘Who is it about?’”

“Aigo, I knew this was coming Sunkyu,” he said playfully.

I laughed at his cuteness before commenting myself. “Oh come on! Is it really about someone?”

He looked around at s. “I-is it really okay to say?”

“Of course it is!” I think Sunny was even more excited than I was.

“A-alright. Yes it’s about someone. Ah! Don’t even Sunny, I’m not naming names.” I was sort of taken back a little. I really didn’t think he would admit to it.

“How romantic,” Sunny cooed from beside me. I rolled my eyes and looked at the message screen in front of me. Message upon message came rolling in after their performance.

“Look at how many messages have come in, you guys might seriously break our computers,” I joked.

“ID 1893 says ‘Taeyeon oppa~ I’m a foreigner! That means the song is about me right? kekek’”

The boys busted out in laughter. “D-did someone really say that?” Soo managed to get out between laughs.

“Yeah, you guys are getting serious amounts of compliments!” They really were. They were coming in so fast I couldn’t even read them all.

“Since were getting all these messages in here why don’t you send a message to the girl this is about Taeyeon-ah?”

I felt my heart start to pound faster. Was he really going to send me a message via this show?

“Seriously,” he asked with a skeptical expression. He knew how ridiculous it was as well.

“Yeah, go ahead! Look in to that camera there and start!”

I think I was holding my breath now. Or maybe I just couldn’t breathe due to all this anticipation.

“Uh, okay. Er well all I know is that if there ever comes a day when I can finally openly call you mine, I’d do everything in my power to make sure you never felt like you are not appreciated.”

Omo. I seriously, seriously did not expect all that. He is amazing. I felt my face start to heat up and my heart start beating even faster. Of all the times I ever wanted to hug him, the need now was at least ten times that. The song and then this sweet statement, I really wish I could hug him right now.

I heard everyone in the room ‘aww’ at him while I felt something that was totally not cute. I groaned in pain for my leg but quickly changed my expression to a happy one. Aishh… I swear she didn’t have to kick me. A simple nudge would have been enough.

‘Right, the script.’

“A-and with that let’s listen to our sponsors,” I said quickly before the commercials started playing.

An assistant then came in asking if any of us needed anything. Sunny asked for water while I pulled out my phone. I smiled as I typed out the message.

Text Message
To: Taetae

I don’t think you know how hard it is to not come over there and kiss you right now.

I then watched him to see his reaction to the text. He was in the middle of a conversation with Yuri and their manager right now. I saw him move his hand to his pocket and pull his phone out. He didn’t check it until his manager oppa left though. I decided I probably just shouldn’t stare at them the whole time.

“Yuri-yah, you guys are doing great,” I said supportively.

“Jinjja? Thank you! What are people saying about our song?”

 I shot a glance at Taeyeon and I knew he must have read it for his face was growing redder by the second. I giggled to myself and looked at the screen in front of me. A ton of people were saying that they loved the song, but even more were commenting on how attractive they were. I really couldn’t disagree on either topics.

“A bunch of them want us to play the studio version,” I said explaining to Yuri. I then felt my phone vibrate in my hand. “And then they’re saying how cute you guys are. Soo even has a marriage proposal.”

“Whaat?!” Sooyoung exclaimed coming out of the conversation he and Sunny were having.

“Omo, it does say it right here,” Sunny said after she looked at the message I had pulled up. “Sooyoung oppa~~~ Marry me~~” she whined cutely imitating the message.

While they were all laughing I slid my phone open and looked at the message.

Text Message
From: Taetae

Oh I know how hard it is. Wait a little longer Fany-ah. ^_^

I smiled and put my phone away. When people describe this feeling as ‘butterflies in the stomach’ it really is no joke. I suddenly felt giddy and excited. I didn’t know how we would get together later, but it didn’t matter. I was just excited to know that we might. The next fifteen minutes couldn’t pass soon enough.

“Alright we’ll be back in thirty,” the PD told us.

Sunny and I both recollected ourselves as we put our headphones back.

“Welcome back to Tiffany.”

“And Sunny’s Shim Shim Ta Pa!” We all cheered a little and Sunny continued. “Were here with TYS today!”

“Thank you all for having us,” the boys said in unison.

“Ne,” I said. An assistant then handed Sunny and I a sheet of paper with printed off questions we were supposed to ask them next. “We have a few questions here.”

“Alright fire them at us!” Soo cheered.

“Ne, this one is from Do Jiho, ‘Oppas when does your album come out? I’m buying ten!!’”          

“Ohh wow,” Taeyeon marveled. “Thank you! Our album is being released on the first of the year along with our music video for ‘Beautiful Stranger.’”

“That’s right,” the other two stated.

“And this one,” Sunny began. “From user 1760 asks ‘Why are you all speaking comfortably with each other? Shouldn’t you be using formal speech?’”

“Oh, should we be?” Yuri asked worriedly and looked around at the producers.

“Ani!” I said. “To everyone listening, TYS and SNSD are good friends, we’ve dropped the formalities a long time ago and we figured we could here as well.”

“Ne, that’s right,” Sunny said. “In fact we are all the same age here except for Sooyoung here, but we have told him to speak comfortably around us before. Please don’t think he’s being disrespectful!”

“You’re right!” Soo agreed. “I’m the nicest one here,” he joked.

“Yah! Not even,” Taeyeon argued causing us all to laugh.

“Alright the next question! Gook Gojoon asks ‘Tiffany-ssi, Sunny-ssi, what are you doing here?” Sunny asked and then hesitantly started the next part of the question.  “W-why aren’t you celebrating Christmas with your family?’” Everyone quickly looked at me.

They all knew, actually I figured everyone knew now since it was all on the internet.

“Tiff you don’t have to-“

“It’s okay Sunny.” I paused to gather myself before I spoke. I could feel a wave of emotions creep up on me me. “Ne, I would be with my family if I could right now but my family is all in America and with our busy schedule, I-I can’t really go visit them often.” I felt tears start in my eyes and my throat start to close up. “It’s early in the morning right now over there, but wh-when it gets later on I will call my dad and wish him a Merry Christmas.” Family was really the worst subject you could bring up around me. “Even though I’m not with them right now, I’ll get to be with my sister here and our friends here later tonight,” I said with my eyes finally releasing the tears. I really hated crying in front of people, even though it didn’t really stop me from doing it often.

“With that we’ll go to our final song of the night. ‘Tell Me Your Wish.’” I then felt a pair of arms come around me. “Tiff, I’m really sorry, I should have read the whole question first.”

“Ani, i-it’s fine Sunny,” I said while trying to fight back tears.

Another arm wrapped around the both of us now. “Fany-ah are you okay?” I could hear the worry in his voice.

Something inside of me snapped after he asked that, almost like the wall that was holding me back from being a complete wreck had been smashed down. A rush of sadness came over me and I dropped my arms from Sunny and wrapped them tightly around Taeyeon’s waist. I knew this would probably cause a scandal or something, but I didn’t care right now. I needed him. Thoughts of my family and especially my mother filled my head.

He wrapped his arms around me and spoke in my ear, “Fany, it’ll be okay. Shhh. We’ll call them right after this okay?” Before I could reply I heard another voice.

“Tiffany you need to let go of him,” Sunny said quietly yet firmly. “People are staring.” She now sounded worried too. She didn’t want us to be exposed either.

I knew she was right. I tried my best to pull it together and pull away from Taeyeon. As I did I could see the wet spot on his shirt from my tears and smiled a little. “Sorry,” I said shyly. Another thing I noticed when I pulled away was the playback TV showed that both of the cameras in the room were focused totally on Taeyeon and I, of course. I was however really glad that his back was turned toward them and I couldn’t really be seen.

Sunny then came to me again. “Here,” she said as she wiped my face with a tissue. “We only have to talk one more time, but I can do it. Just sit there and think of a reason for all of that, you too Taeng.”

“We’ll be back in a minute.” The PD told us.

“Thank you. Both of you,” I said as we took our seats. I saw Sunny nod and put her headphones back on while Taeyeon continued to look at me worriedly. I was about to tell him to cut it out but the light came on and Sunny began the closing statements.

“Alright! We want to thank the Producers for letting us be here today, and a big thank you to TYS that came out and let us listen to their new song. Do you guys have any final words?”

“Thank you so much for having us today,” Taeyeon said.

“And don’t forget that our album comes out the first,” Sooyoung added quickly. “The song you heard today and many more will be on it!”

“Thank you for letting us share your time and our song with you today.”

“Alright and this was Sunny a-“

“And Tiffany’s,” I said cutting her off. I wanted to be able to at least finish it right. “Shim Shim Ta Pa!”

Music began playing and we all started grabbing our things and left the room.

I was still trying to think of a good answer for why I hugged Tae instead of Sunny earlier because I knew once we left there would be any people asking. A couple of different reasons popped in to my head. I didn’t know which one was going to be more believable when the time came, but I knew I was going to have to choose quickly.

“Tiffany, Sunny come here now.” Very quickly indeed I thought. Sunny grabbed my hand and held it tight as we walked to our manager. “What the hell was that Tiffany?”

“Oppa, they asked about her family, and you know that’s a sore sub-,” Sunny started to explain.

“They did what? They know that’s one of the topic’s we don’t want to talk about. I’ll go talk to them, but,” He paused. “Why did you hug Kim Taeyeon? On a live broadcasted show? Tiffany if there is something go-“

“Aniyo Oppa. Ani,” I said cutting him off. This was it. “I just started thinking about my family and since they’re such good friends of ours he reminded me of my brother who I miss a lot and,” I paused to catch my breath. “I don’t know it just happened. I’m really sorry.” Tears started to form again in my eyes. I didn’t care. I just needed to see Taeyeon again. I felt Sunny squeeze my hand tighter and our manager put his hand on my shoulder.

“Tiffany I am sorry you can’t see your family, I really am. After I go talk to the PD let’s get you two back to the dorm.”

I quickly looked at him, but Sunny was quicker than I with the words that came next. “What about TYS?”

He gave us a confused expression. “What about them?”

“We literately just told everyone listening that we would be spending tonight with them for Christmas…”

“Sunny I don’t know if that’s a good idea.”

“Oppa, please,” she whined.

I don’t know where I’d be without Sunny some days. Seriously she took such good care of me.

“Fine. I’ll go talk to their manager and see if we can come up with anything. Follow me.” We did as we were told and eventually found the boys along with their manager in the lobby of the building we were in. “Stay here.”

We nodded and then were eventually greeted by Taeyeon, Yuri and Sooyoung.

“What is all that about?”

“Their talking about if we’re going to get to hang out with you guys tonight,” Sunny explained.

“What did you tell him Fany-ah?”

“Oh, uhm I told him that I hugged you because you reminded me of my brother… What did you say?”

“Ohh that’s a good one,” I heard Sooyoung cheer. We all chuckled a bit.

“I told Hyung that it was because my family is far away too, and I know how you feel. Which isn’t a complete lie,” he proudly said as he grinned.

I smiled slightly and then spoke. “Good job Taetae. You’ll be a pro liar in no time.”

“Yah! I wasn’t lyin-“

“Can you guys shut up I’m trying to read their lips here,” Sunny sternly said. “Aish never mind here they come.”

We all then straightened up and looked to the two men walking toward us.

“Alright. We’ll go to SNSD’s dorm for dinner and then we’ll leave alright?” Their manager said.

“That’s right,” our manager Oppa started to say. “We need to discuss what we’re going to do about this whole mess anyway.”

We all bowed and thanked them. Heading to our van I couldn’t be happier. Although I was still sad about my family, I was happy that I would get to spend more time with Taeyeon tonight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Longer chapter I know, please forgive me!^^
I hope you enjoy it! Don't forget to comment and let me know what you think!

With the song I also changed a word to make it fit a little better to the circumstances.