Chapter 9

Melted Heart

 

The day arrives.

Yuri, the in-charge of the BBQ session has given out orders on their duties. Yuri, Baekhyun, Kris and Myungsoo went to collect the charcoals and soft drinks. The girls on the other hand will buy the food that they need. Taeyeon ended up getting the food with the girls because Ji Eun wants him to help them carry the heavy stuffs.

Yuri didn’t assign any task for Jessica and Tiffany so they did not know if the class needs any help. But being kind enough, Tiffany pulls Jessica out of the dorm about 5.30pm. They head towards the BBQ area in the school compound.

Taeyeon’s face lit up when he saw Tiffany walking towards them. He wanted to shout and greet the girls but he is the kind of boy that rarely speaks, so he skipped that. Yuri on the other hand, is transferring all the can drinks inside the cooler box. He flustered the moment he saw Jessica coming. The 3 cans that is in his hands starts to drop on the ground and caused the girls to scold him for being careless. The sleepy Jessica heard the loud dropping of cans and saw Yuri.

Deep in her heart, she wants to go over there and help him. Laugh at him being careless. But she stops and takes a seat far away, on a swinging bench.

“I will go help them.” Tiffany jogs her way to Taeyeon, leaving lazy Jessica there alone.

-

 

“Hi Taeyeon, you need help?” Tiffany smile warmly at Taeyeon. However, Taeyeon lightly shakes his head and bend down to adjust the charcoal to make sure they burn well.

“kekeke” Tiffany laughed cutely at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon was surprised at why Tiffany is laughing, and he looks at her, raising his eyebrows.

“Your face.” Tiffany covers , trying to stop her laughter.

“Oh?” Taeyeon wipes his face with his hand.

“Aigo!” Tiffany quickly grabs his hand and stopped him for wiping.

“Use a tissue! Hold on.” Tiffany went to the table with food around and pulls out a tissue, using the tap and wet it a little.

She went over to Taeyeon and wipes the charcoal stains on his cheek. Taeyeon was shocked at the sudden contact. He didn’t move an inch. But he regains his consciousness a few minutes later. He stares at the beautiful face that is so near to him. Too near in fact. If someone were to accidentally push him from the back, they might kiss.

Taeyeon felt his heart beating so fast. He can’t catch his breath. He feels like he is in heaven. This moment felt like the world is empty, with only the two of them. This feeling.. is so good…

 

“Kekeke, close your mouth Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon didn’t hear Tiffany. In fact, his mouth started to curve up unknowingly as he stares at her.

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany looks into his eyes and moves her head sideways.

“Oh!” Taeyeon woke up from his dream. “Yes?” He felt embarrassed.

“Close your mouth next time!” Tiffany uses her index finger and pushes his chin up.

Taeyeon, again, was stunned by her sudden touch. Tiffany notices that she must have been rude by doing that. They are not so close after all..

“Opps.. Sorry. But, you look cute though.” She smile awkwardly and turned, walking back to her best friend.

What.. was.. that? – Taeyeon, still in his stunned position. He just couldn’t think straight at the moment.

 

“Sica! Why are you sleeping again?!” Tiffany went over to Jessica and hit her shoulder as she took a seat beside her.

“Ouch.” Jessica woke up but replied lifelessly.

“Hmm, Yuri looks cool when he is serious.” Tiffany disturbs Jessica when she saw Yuri sorting out all the raw food. Jessica just ignores her best friend.

Tiffany turns and saw Jessica closed her eyes. She sighs at the sight of her friend being uninterested.

Tiffany then saw Taeyeon setting up the BBQ pit all alone, with no one helping. Even when Luna and Victoria came up to him, he rejected their help.

“Is Taeyeon always avoiding girls?”

“Why?” Jessica asked her friend with her eyes shut.

“I don’t see him with any girls before.. Totally different from Yuri though.”

“He is a bit introvert. Like me. I know how he feels. Unlike that player.” Jessica opens her eyes and stares at Yuri with anger.

Tiffany ignores the fact that her best friend is badmouthing Yuri again. Even the blind knows that she feels something for that player. She just doesn’t want to admit it.

“Is he attached before?”

“Not that I’ve know.”

“He is special..” Tiffany muttered to herself.

“What?” Jessica asks again.

“Nothing..” Tiffany sighs again and looks at the sunset.

“Nice scenery.” Tiffany breathes in, enjoying the air.

“Right.”

“I wanna go over that beach to enjoy the sunset. Come with me?” Tiffany grabs Jessica arm but was soon whacked by her best friend.

“No. I’m not moving, Tiff.”

“As expected. Bye then.” Tiffany stands up from the swinging bench and went out to the nearby beach outside the school compound.

 

~~

Yuri notices Jessica alone swinging the bench like a small girl. He can’t help but smile at the sight.

“Give her this.” Taeyeon pushes a plate of 5 chicken wings that he has barbequed to Yuri.

Yuri looks at his buddy and Taeyeon gives him a wink. Taeyeon forcefully put the plate on Yuri’s hand and tilt Yuri’s shoulder as if he is a robot. “Go!” Taeyeon kicked his friend’s and smile.

Yuri paused awhile and smiles back to his friend. “Hwaiting!” He mouthed to Taeyeon, encouraging himself.

 

Yuri slowly walks towards the ice princess. Each step he takes is getting heavier and heavier. He breathes out loudly and that caught Jessica’s attention. Jessica opens her eye and look around. She looked at the other direction when she saw Yuri standing there holding a plate of chicken wings.

Yuri swallowed his apple and slowly walks nearer, taking the empty space beside Jessica.

“Did I say you can sit?” Jessica suddenly voiced. That caused Yuri to get shocked. He almost fell but managed to hold the side bars. “Erm.. no?” He stands back up. Yuri is afraid of her. Even though he has been treated like this ever since he met Jessica, this is the first time he feels threatened.

He plucked up his courage and reply with his old confidence. “It’s not yours anyway.”

Yuri finally placed his on the bench. Jessica couldn’t fight back, because the bench is really not hers. So she decided to leave. She stood up was going to leave but Yuri grabs her arm to stop her.

“Sica! Don’t go. Sit with me..”

 Jessica feels sincerity and sadness in his tone.

Should I..? Ugh.. no..I hate him.. but.. – Jessica’s mind is filled with questions and answers.

She is fighting with herself in her mind..

But,

She finally decided to return to her seat.