034

The Boy with the Dimple

The next day after the party, it was time for the talk with grandma. Not only was that on your mind. Sehun was...about Hana. What were you going to do? Tell your friend about that freaking girl, hell yes you were. You knew he would be upset, really upset. You were ready to heads with him, if it'd make him realize what a bad girl she was.

For now, you were going to worry about Lay and your grandma at lunch. You called him the night before to warn him, and he seemed pretty calm about it. But once you were done calling him, Lay was a mess. He didn't know what to wear or how to act. Of course, respectful, very respectful, cause that was one thing he was excellent with. He was just going to wait and see what would happen.

Your mom drove you and Lay to the main Kang Residence, or the main house. It was where your grandparents lived along with your uncle, aunt, and cousins, since your uncle was now the CEO. But your grandparents still lived there. 

You saw the big gates of the main house with a gold 'K' on the middle. Memories filled your head as you guys neared the house. 

"Whoa." You heard Lay mumble to himself. 

Your mom laughed,"I know, that's what I said when I first came here in high school." 

"You've known Mr. Kang since high school?" Lay asked. 

"Sure did." Your mom giggled. 

"D-Do you have any tips for me to get a good blessing from Jina's grandma?" Lay sheepishly bit his lip while looking at the big, grand house. He was joking partly, but he was mostly serious.

Your mother couldn't blame him for asking and she gave him an encouraging smile,"Just be yourself Yixing, don't be nervous. She won't bite that hard. Just remember to answer honestly and speak with confidence, but don't be too confident, ok?"

"Y-Yes." Lay gulped and he looked at you. 

You just smiled and grabbed his hand,"Don't worry. I'll be right next to you. Grandma's just a little rigourous and proper." 

"Please, more like uptight and sometimes a prude." Your mom made a side comment, then she giggled a bit,"Ignore that. Mother just gave me a hard time before. But, Im sure you'll be fine. Alright, ready?" 

"Not really." Lay his lips. 

Your mom put on her sunglasses,"Well...get ready, cause we're here." Your mom parked the car in the big round drive way and got out of the car. 

You and Lay did the same and you squeezed his arm,"Calm down." Lay nodded, but he couldnt' keep calm. Your grandmother sounded hard-headed and difficult. 

You three walked up a couple stairs the rang the door bell. A butler opened the door,"Ah, Lady Kang is expecting you." The butler brought you in and a bunch of maids bowed to you,"Good afternoon, Mrs. Kang, Young lady, and Young master." 

Young master? Lay was not used to being called young master. It was always something else. Like scum, dirt bag, commoner, etc. But not young master.

You three bowed back and went outside in the garden, where your grandmother was sitting in the big white gazebo at a table already set up. Your grandmother was wearing all white and she was reading the newspaper. 

She glanced up and saw you and Yixing. "Ah, you've finally come. Making me wait a half hour." You and your mother kissed her cheek. 

Lay fixed his plum colored dress shirt and bowed deeply,"Good afternoon, I am Zhang Yixing, but please call me Lay. I am dating your granddaughter Jina. It's good to finally meet you, Lady Kang." 

Your grandmother didn't expect the last part of his little introduction and let out a small laugh,"Lady Kang? Please to make your aquaintance, Yixing." 

"You may call me Lay, I know my name is hard to pronounce." Lay smiled down at her, his dimple showing. You automatically smiled too. 

"Yixing's your name though, but if you wished to be called Lay, I will call you it. Please, sit." Your grandmother pointed to the seat across from her, and you sat beside him. Your mother sat beside your grandma. 

"So, you go to Seoul Fine Arts Academy with Jina?" Your grandmother asked him. 

Lay nodded,"Yes, ma'am. But I am not in her class."

"Is that so? What's your specialty at the school?" Another question asked. Lay calmy answered her again,"I sing and dance. I can also play the guitar and piano. I compose my own music too, ma'am." 

"How impressive. So much talent you have." Your grandmother smiled, pleased. "What do your parents do? Are they musicians as well?" 

Lay laughed and he shook his head,"No, ma'am. My...father died years ago, so it's just my mother and I." 

You, your mom, and your grandma grew silent. Even you didn't know that and you covered your mouth,"Yixing." 

Lay let out a small, forced laugh,"M-My mom works at a hotel as a maid, or clean up lady. Whatever position they give her that day, to be honest...Lady Kang, Im not rich and I don't come from a big family...but that doesn't mean we're not hard working people. I work more than two jobs just to help out my mom, I'd do even more than I already have just to make sure my mother is taken care of. Im nothing special, ma'am, but I really do love your granddaughter. So, please don't break us up and give us your blessing!" Lay lowered his head. 

"Yixing." You whispered and felt your heart ache. 

For the first time in your life, you've never seen your grandma so stunned and speechless. She looked at Lay with such a grief-stricken expression. 

"Please, don't do that...who said I was going to break you guys up? I just wanted to have lunch and meet you." Your grandma had a soft smile on her face and she rang a little bell,"Butler Yoon! Where is our lunch? My granddaughter and her boyfriend haven't eaten yet!" 

"Yes, Lady Kang." The butler smiled and went to fetch lunch. 

Lay beamed at your grandma,"Thanks grandma-oh I mean Lady Kang." 

Your grandma let out a loud snort and patted his hand,"It's fine dear, call me grandma." Lay laughed a bit and nodded his head,"Yes, grandma." 

You and your mother smiled at each other. It was good your grandma liked Lay, and it stunned you how easy she approved of him. Maybe she pitied him about his family situation? You were really curious.

 

Your grandma called you to her office after lunch. Lay was with your mother in the music room, playing the piano for her. 

"He's a good man." Your grandma was sitting on her couch, she patted the space next to her, and you sat down. She grabbed your hand,"If you're wondering why I approved of him so quickly, it was because of his courage and honesty. You were right. He's not the richest man I know, but he does have a rich heart. That's a good character to have for a future husband." 

"Grandma, we're not getting married." You quickly stated with flushed cheeks. 

She smiled and patted your leg,"I know. Lay's very thoughtful too. A man who can take care of his mother, can take care of his wife. He has the qualities of a true gentleman. It's very hard to find a man like him. Good job." 

"I was afraid you'd dislike him because he's not that...well off." You admitted while playing with your fingers. 

Your grandmother pursed her lips and sighed,"I've always shown you the evil grandma. But I just want what's best for you. And I know, we only associate with the best, I simply mean is people with best character. I've always said to you, to live the best, you must become the best. Basically, I just want you to be happy. Whatever you think is right in your life, I won't stand in the way if you think that's what's best. And I can see how happy you are with Lay."

You startled your grandma when you started to cry. She frowned and touched your cheek,"Oh, what's wrong?"

"Thank you, grandma." You cried and hugged her,"Thank you so much." 

Your grandma smiled and rubbed your back softly. For the first time, she never felt so warm.

 

"Come back again, ok?" Your grandma hugged Lay tightly,"I'd like you to keep me company. Bring your mother along with you!" 

"Yes, grandma, I'll bring her next time. And I'll play the piano just for you. Any piece you want." Lay laughed and hugged her back. Your grandma pointed at him,"Don't take your word back! I tend to keep my promises, hopefully you do too." 

"I do, don't worry, grandma." Lay chuckled and eye smiled her. 

You and your mother kissed your grandmother on the cheeks. 

"Bye, mother." Your mom waved and got inside the car first. You gave your grandma one final hug,"Bye grandma. Say hi to grandpa for me." 

"I will, don't worry. He's going to whine about not seeing you. And yes, I'll keep this a secret from him." Your grandma waved you all goodbye. 

"Bye grandma~!" Lay cheerfully waved and opened the car door for you. You slid in first, and he followed you. 

Your grandmother watched and sighed with relief,"Such a good boy." She watched as you all drove off and when you were out of distance she went to her office once again. 

She dialed a number,"Jiwook, its your mother. Is there a secretary position available? I'd like to recommend someone. Eh? It's all full? Well, fire someone and make room...I know, but you know I don't recommend just anyone. This person is special. She's special to someone I think is important. Don't disappoint me, Jiwook, or you'll be disappointing your niece as well. Yes, Jina, who else? Ok? Good. Work well." Your grandmother hung up the phone with an accomplished smile and went to look over the newspaper.