030

The Boy with the Dimple

"Class, I have an announcement to make." Mrs. Lin, the old vocal teacher, tapped her pencil on the podium. She had cat-eye glasses on this time and a few pink streaks in her white hair. 

You sat between Luhan and Chen, and played with your fingers. You were kind of anxious about what she had to say. Hopefully she wouldn't have you sing solo's. 

"You'll be doing your final solo soon. And I will pick a few of you to enter a competition. This is important, since we'll be competing with our rival school, Seoul Jazz Academy. They're tough and they're merciless when they always compete with us. We haven't lost to them until last year. Now, I want to take back the title of first place. So, I will work with those who most need my assistance. Now prepare a piece for me to hear for your upcoming solo." Mrs. Lin dismissed the class.

You, Luhan, and Chen huddled together while walking out to your next classes. You bit your lips and rubbed your head,"Solos, I can't do a solo. Or sing in public! What do I do?!"

Luhan and Chen looked at each other with big grins. You caught them staring at each other and pouted,"What's with you guys?"

"Nothing." Chen shrugged. 

"Seriously! What? Tell me!" You stomped your foot on the ground. 

Luhan patted your head,"Jina, you have nothing to be scared of. You sing great." 

"How do you know how I sing?" You asked with crossed arms. 

"We heard you." Chen answered. He had a sly smirk on his face,"That time you were in the auditorium. We heard you sing. And you were beyond great. You were amazing. Totally blew us away."

Your face paled and you caught yourself from fainting,"Y-you guys heard me?! You weren't supposed to hear me!" 

"Well, too late. We did. And we think you're a wonderful singer. It's a shame you hide it to yourself." Luhan shook his head in a disapproving manner,"You have such talent. It's clearly a waste if you don't use it."

"Yeah! You could even win this competition." Chen added with a bigger grin and pointed at you. 

You gulped and shook your head,"That's nonsense! I can't get up there! I'll just embarrass myself. And this solo too! I can't even sing in front of my parents, let alone this class, or a competition." Luhan and Chen shared another look. 

Luhan frowned at you and sighed,"Then why are you in this school in the first place?"

 

That question caught you off guard and it's been bugging you till lunch started. You couldn't even pay attention in your other two classes because of Luhan's question. He was right. 

Why am I in this school? It's a performing arts school for crying out loud! Why did I want go here, if I can't even sing in public? Im so stupid! What did I get myself into?! You groaned and ran your fingers through you hair. 

You were currently laying down in the old auditorium stage. The stage lights shining down on you. You didn't feel like eating with everyone else. For some reason, you felt like you didn't deserve to eat with them. All of them came to Seoul Fine Arts Academy with a goal to learn and excel in their talents. It was obvious, right? But you, you just auditioned and went. No goal or plan.

"Why am I here?" You asked yourself while staring off into space. You slowly sat up and hugged your knees. You rested your head on your knees, and felt you long hair fall in front of you. 

"Why did I ever come here? I knew I couldn't sing in public, but I was just so happy I got accepted into the best school. I forgot sooner or later I'd have to sing." You banged your head against your knees softly,"Im so stupid for getting carried away." 

Father was right. It was useless for me to be in this school. I had no purpose... You silently cried to yourself. 

Even though you knew you came to Seoul Fine Arts Academy on a whim without a goal, you were happy. You've made many friends who were very important to you. Your friends. People who were confident in themselves. Confident in their own talents, standing tall. They made it fun. And you wanted to be like them. 

"I have to work hard. I can't always be in the shadows and watching everyone. I need a goal. I need to be in the spotlight too." You said to yourself. You started to feel better, confident. A rising fire, burning inside you. I need to work hard.

 

"Where's Jina?" Sumin asked the boys. 

Everyone shook their heads,"We don't know."

"What do you mean, you don't know?!" Sumin growled. She looked around the cafeteria but didn't spot her best friend around. She pointed at each boy present at the table,"What did you do?"

"Nothing!"

"Don't look at me!"

"It's rude to point." 

"No clue!"

"Tch!" Sumin clicked her tongue and waited for her boyfriend to come along. Lay was missing as well. "Lay's gone too?!"

"Yup." The boys said. 

"You guys are useless." Sumin snarled and started to pick at her lunch with worry. Maybe something happened to her? Is she on her period?! Maybe she leaked! Cramps?! 

Many thoughts started to run through Sumin's mind, till it made her dizzy. "Oh dear." 

"You called?" Luhan plopped down beside her and pecked her cheek. He saw how pale she was and felt her head,"You okay? You don't look good." 

"Lu Honey!" Sumin cried onto his chest.

Luhan rubbed her back,"What's wrong this time? You couldn't open your milk carton? Here let me do it-" Sumin slapped his hand,"No pabo!"

Luhan scowled at her and rubbed his hand,"Geez, woman. See if I help you next time!" 

"I think Jina is leaking!" Sumin cried with her hands flailing in the air. 

Luhan stared at his girlfriend,"W-what?"

"Don't mind her, she had a mental breakdown while trying to figure out where Jina was." Kris boredly summarized while reading a new book of his.  

"Oh." Luhan nodded. Then he stopped,"Wait, Jina's missing?"

"You guys!" 

Everyone looked up to see a panting Lay. "Have you seen Jina? I usually pick her up at her locker, but she wasn't there." Lay panted hard and grabbed onto an empty chair. 

Xiumin handed him some water, and Lay tiredly gulped some down. He felt instantly cool. Sumin eyed his state,"You searched for her?"

Lay nodded,"I was worried. She's never done that." 

"See, I told you something was wrong!" Sumin smacked Luhan's arm. He winced at her hit,"Can you stop hitting me!"

"So, you haven't seen her either?" Lay worriedly glanced at Sumin.

She pouted and shook her head,"Afraid not. I haven't seen her since this morning. But she seemed fine. Maybe something happened in her other class? Maybe in music? Yah, ChenChen and Lu Brat, did something happen to her?"

Chen and Luhan exchanged glances and their eyes widened. Lay and Sumin caught on,"What happened?" 

"Solos." Chen and Luhan mumbled together. 

"Solos?" Lay and Sumin echoed. 

Chen started to explain,"Well, we have to do a solo in vocal classes. And Jina doesn't really like sining in public. Luhan and I were trying to persuade her she was better than she thought. But she got all freaked about doing a solo in front of the class." Chen gasped and pointed at Luhan,"And you said,'Why are you in this school in the first place?'"

Luhan's eyes widened along with the whole table, who started listening. "I did say that."

"You said that?! You idiot!" Sumin smacked him harder on the head,"I can't believe you!"

"Well, it's true! And you had to be there to understand why I said it!" Luhan pouted and rubbed his sore head,"Sorry." 

"Don't apologize to us, idiot." Lay muttered.

Luhan gaped at him,"You called me an idiot! For the first time ever!"

Lay clicked his tongue at him,"Well,  you told my girl to basically leave the school and you probably made my girl cry!" 

Luhan stayed silent and looked down in guilt. Sumin sighed and rubbed his shoulder,"Alright, we'll just see her in class then."

 

During dance class, Sumin and the boys were waiting for Jina to arrive, but she never came. Sumin was starting to worry and Sehun noticed,"Don't worry. She's fine." Sumin told him what happened and scolded him for not being there at the time. He explained he was talking to Hana. Which Sumin kind of congratualted him on.

 The phone rang and Daniel went to answer it. He was nodding his head and he chuckled,"Alright. Thanks ma'am!" 

"Who was it?" A girl asked,"Your girlfriend?"

Daniel laughed and stuck his tongue out at her,"No, sadly not. Miss Jina will not be attending today's class on for a couple of more days it seems."

"WHAT?!" Sumin, Sehun, and Exo-M shouted.

"Why?" Lay asked.

"Due to some reasons I can't explain. Now, chop chop class. Let's get started!" Daniel clapped his hands and the speakers. 

Lay looked at his friends,"Im sure we'll find out soon." 

They all nodded,"Hopefully."