023

The Boy with the Dimple

-Seoul, South Korea-

"Lay, why are you so down?" Luhan asked while they were sitting down at a restaurant. 

Tao nodded,"Are you depressed since you're not with Jina?"

"If so, invite her out so she could meet up with us!" Chen smiled.

"She's in Switzerland." Lay sighed and sank into his seat.

"SWITZERLAND?!" Exo-M gasped and looked at their downcasted friend. Lay gave them a look to shut up and they did. 

"Well, then..." Kris cleared his throat,"She can't make it then."

"Obviously." Luhan rolled his eyes at the eldest, then he narrowed his eyes at Lay,"Yah, what's the problem? Usually you'd be happy for her."

"Is she like going with so hot guy or something?" Xiumin joked, high fiving Chen. 

"Yeah." Lay muttered bitterly.

"WHAT?!" Exo-M chorused again, this time earning looks from other customers at the restaurant. Exo-M bowed to them with sorry smiles and put their attention back to Lay,"Are you serious?"

Lay nodded,"She's with Kai."

"The kingka?! The erted bastard that'd eat her up!? The dude that made countless of girls sl-"

"YES Chen! That Kai!" Lay snarled while banging the table. 

Everyone shot Chen a look and he scratched his head,"S-sorry."

A waitress came to their table,"If you're going to be loud again, please leave!" She shook her head that them and walked away mumbling things about young kids these days.

"But both of their families are with them too." Lay finished and sighed,"I don't know why Im worried though. I am happy for her because she gets to spend time with her family, but Kai being there makes me worried like hell." 

"How could you not be worried? It's normal, Lay. I'd hate it if my girlfriend was on vacation with some like Kai." Luhan shrugged and patted Lay's shoulder in a comforting way,"Just hope he doesn't do anything. Which I believe he wouldn't since her parents are there."

"Luhan is right! That idiot wouldn't do anything to her!" Xiumin nodded his head. 

Exo-M gave Lay smiles. Lay started to smile and he laughed,"Thanks you guys."

"No problem." Exo-M playfully smirked. 

 

-St. Mortiz, Switzerland-

"How is school, Jina?" Your grandmother asked.

You were all eating at a five-star restaurant in town. The eight of you were seated at a huge round table with beautiful china and silverware. 

While your grandmother asked about your school, you were trying to remember the proper etiquette you've learned when you were younger. 

"It's challenging, but nothing I can't handle." You easily replied, hiding your hidden panic. She gave you a small nod and took a small bite from her meal. 

Your grandmother ordered a six course meal for the table, and you quietly cursed in your head. At the moment you were at the main course. Three more to go. You thought.

"Jongin, you go to the same school as Jina?" Your grandfather asked Kai this time. Kai looked up at him and nodded,"Yes, sir. But we only have one class together." 

You gulped. If Kai said dance class, you were screwed. Your grandmother would literally flip a table or two if she found out you were in such a class, if that was even a proper class. 

"Oh, what class is that?" She asked as she glanced at you. 

You and Kai met eyes and you were mentally screaming at him to make something up. Kai started to feel his throat go dry all of a sudden from the scary eyes your grandmother had.

"P-Performing arts!" Kai smiled. You held your tongue.

"Performing arts?" Your grandmother scoffed. 

The whole table looked to your grandmother in silence. Your grandmother narrowed her eyes,"And what do you do in such a class?"

"It's quite enlightening actually, ma'am. We learn about the different eras of art." Kai lied like a mastermind. 

Your grandmother continued to pester on the subject,"Then...enlighten me."

Kai felt insulted a bit by your grandmother's words. Even though she wasn't directly insulting him, he couldn't help but feel her...insult.  

Kai leaned forward with a confident smile,"We've learned about theatre, dance, the Renaissance, which to me is very enlightening, then the modern era with the different plays, operas, ballet, some technological advances,  and even burlesque! Then moving on to the rhythm and blues, and then broadway. We're also learning about the different performing arts around the world. So, we've been very enlightened."

You were blown away by Kai's lies. You actually almost believed him! You could sense Kai was very familiar with all the things he's said. Kai did actually like the performing arts, why was he at Seoul Fine Arts Academy if he didn't?

Your grandmother gave him a small smirk,"Very impressive. I see why Seoul Fine Arts Academy is the best school in Seoul. Im happy to hear Jina is learning well there."  

Kai smiled at you,"Yes, she's learning a lot."

You secretly sighed in relief. 

Your mother happily smiled to herself,"Jina loves it there, mother."

"I disapprove of it though. I don't see the point in that school." Your father grumbled. 

"Jihoo, if Jina wants to attend that school, then let her." Your grandfather defended and shot you a wink. You smiled gratefully at him. Your father sighed,"Father, please. She's better off at another school. Maybe even abroad. She's wasting her time at that school."

"Dad." You frowned,"I like it there."

Your father looked at you,"Why are you even attending that school in the first place? You're going to be a singer? Stop thinking of such nonsense, Jina!"

You winced and looked down at your plate. Kai didn't know how strongly your father disapproved of you going to Seoul Fine Arts Academy. He felt bad for you. 

"Jihoo!" Your mother scowled at your father,"Stop it, you're hurting Jina."

"It is the truth, Nara. That school won't do anything for Jina's future! How do you know she'll actually become a singer? Im just thinking of what's best for Jina." Your father chided coldly.

"Enough!" Your grandmother silenced him. Your grandmother eyed your father,"Im sure Jina, knows what she's doing. Right, Jina?" 

You blinked and nodded,"Y-Yes, grandmother." 

"Then no need to worry, Jihoo." Your grandmother snapped and continued to eat. Your father shook his head and started to eat. 

You avoided anyones gaze that night and only spoke when someone conversed with you. With that, your dinner ended smoothly. 

 

The adults decided to chat for a bit, so they dismissed you and Kai. He was stood beside you as you both waited for the car. Kai wanted to ask if you were alright, but knew that was a stupid question. Yet, he decided it was ok for now to look stupid.

"Are you okay, Jina?" 

You hugged yourself and nodded,"Im fine." You stated, obviously a lie. You couldn't wait till you were in your room. You wanted to talk to Lay or Sumin right away. 

"Okay, then." Kai murmured,"You handled it well."

"You too." You nodded to him. 

It was silent between you two again. The cold wind started to make your cheeks and nose red. You prayed the car would hurry up. All of a sudden Kai started to your head. You gazed up at him in confusion.

He gave you a small smile,"I think you can make it."

That surprised you. It almost made you cry too. You smiled back at him,"Thank you, Kai."

"Anytime." He smirked.

The car finally came and took you both back to the hotel. You and Kai bid each other good night and went to your rooms.

Even though Kai made you feel a bit better, you were still down. Your father's words rang through your head over and over again. Like he never wanted you to forget. 

Then you started to crumble down. Your strong armor started to break, and you couldn't take it anymore. You decided to take a shower and try to clear your head, hoping you'd feel better. But after the shower, you just felt worse. You could clearly hear your father putting you down.

It was going to be early morning in Seoul, but at the moment you just wanted to hear his voice. You were sure Lay would make you feel better. You dialed his number, not caring for the international charges. 

"Hello?" Lay mumbled in a sleepy tone.

You closed your eyes and smiled,"Y-Yixing?"

Lay's eyes widened and he glanced at his clock. 5 a.m. "Jina? What time is it over there?"

"T-Ten at night." You replied,"I-Im sorry I woke you up. I-I just needed to hear your voice."

Lay laid down on his back,"Why? Miss me?" He teased and smiled to himself.

You started to cry. "Yeah. I miss you a lot."

Lay became alarmed when he heard your voice shake,"Jina, are you crying?"

You sniffed,"I just miss you a lot, pabo." 

He knew you were lying,"I miss you too...what happened? Do you want to talk about it. I've got all day to listen." 

You softly laughed and wiped your tears,"I'd like that."

You told him everything about dinner. About your grandparents and how scary your grandmother was. But how she saved you that night. You talked about your father, how he reminded you how he felt about your school. You assured him Kai did nothing wrong to you, and explained how Kai was also your savior. 

All night, you talked to Lay.

All morning, Lay listened to you.

 

------------

***At Seoul, that was happening when Lay went to meet up with Exo-M after his call with Jina, so this isn't happening at the same time!***