016

The Boy with the Dimple

Lay was in the corner with his tray watching you dance with Kai for the past ten minutes. He was done serving his current tray, and he gripped it with his fingers. 

Kai was flirting with you, while you just smiled. Lay sulked,"Is she enjoying herself with him?"

"So, you're jealous?"

Luhan appeared beside him once again. Lay glanced at his best friend,"No."

"Please, Lay, I know you well enough when you're jealous. Why don't you just talk to her?" Luhan grinned.

"Kai's there with her." Lay muttered. 

Luhan furrowed his brows. Kai? What the hell is he doing here? Luhan noticed Lay's dark eyes,"He said something to you, huh?"

"No." Lay answered too quickly.

Luhan sighed,"Don't listen to the stuck up bastard! Whatever he said is total bull!" Lay was surprised by Luhan's outburst.

"Luhan..."

"Zhang Yixing, don't you dare let Kai belittle you!" Luhan angrily frowned. Luhan didn't like how Kai was treating Lay. He hated how Kai made people feel small and worthless.

"His words were true though...Jina's in a dif-"

"Don't you dare say different worlds! Cause for all I know, Jina's with us in the same world. Same ground, breathes the same air, see's the same sky! So don't say that little excuse to me." Luhan shook his head at Lay,"Go talk to her man."

"But, maybe she'll be embarrassed to be seen with me, a servant." Lay mumbled and secretly watched as Minhyuk pulled you away from Kai.

Luhan rolled his eyes,"Lay, please, you're a caterer, not a servant."

"Same thing." Lay sighed.

"No! This is a temporary job! You're not going to cater for the rest of your life." Luhan slapped Lay forward,"Go talk to her Lay."

Lay smiled at his best friend,"You're so pushy."

"I know, what can I say?" Luhan smirked,"Go man."

Lay laughed and walked away into the crowd. 

Luhan sighed in satisfaction,"Finally."

"Hubby?!"

Luhan's eyes widened and he slowly turned his head. Oh no. Please don't let it be-

"My hubby~!" 

Luhan was tackled by a body. He got a sniff of strawberries. Sumin.

"What are you doing here?" Sumin happily smiled at him. 

Luhan was about to snap at her, when he noticed how she looked. Stunning in a gold cocktail dress, hair pinned up, and in some four inch heels. 

"I-I...you...uh...job..." Luhan stuttered as he still gazed at Sumin.

Sumin blushed,"Oh, what? You're falling in love with me already?"

Luhan snapped out of his thoughts,"No! Anyway, what are you doing here?"

Sumin felt disappointed and she looked away,"Im here cause uncle invited me. Do I look alright?" Sumin spun around for Luhan. She gave him a small, shy smile.

Luhan gulped. He didn't want to admit she looked beautiful,"Y-No! Now stop bothering me! I have to work." Luhan felt a pang of guilt when he saw Sumin's hurt expression. He reached out toward her, but she stepped back.

"Um, s-sorry for bothering you." Sumin bowed and she quickly walked away. 

Luhan's hand dropped to his side,"."

 

"Thanks for saving me oppa." You gratefully thanked your brother for taking you away from Kai. 

Minhyuk smiled,"It's all thanks to mom. But as a brother, I don't like guys flirting with you either."

You giggled,"I wasn't flirting! Thanks anyway. Im going to get some fresh air." 

"Want me to come with you?" Minhyuk offered.

You shook your head and smiled,"No, I'll be fine. Just out in the garden." 

"Call me when you need something." Minhyuk patted your head and went to the buffet table. You shook your head at your brother's hunger issues and went to take a walk outside. 

The cool air refreshed you from the stuffy indoors. You walked down the garden stairs and strolled among the garden path. It was tricky to walk along the gravel walkway, but you managed.  

You had to lift your dress a bit as you walked or you mother would kill you if she found a spec of dirt. Your dress was that pricey. 

"Omo!" You steadied yourself with your arms out. You almost slipped. You smiled, proud you caught yourself,"That was close!"

You continued walking in the quiet garden. It was actually beautiful to you. The garden was decorated with many string lights. In the middle was a fountain. The water twinkled from the reflection of the lights. You smiled in delight.

You felt a tap on your shoulder. You dreaded the thought that it was Kai. You turned around with a super fake smile,"Kai-oh."

"Disappointed?" Lay had a crooked smile on his face. He had his hands behind his back.

You mentally hit yourself and shook your head,"N-No! Im actually happy to see you Yixing...Even though Im shocked to see you here. I didn't know you're attending this party too." 

Lay chuckled when he saw your regretful expression. "It's fine. Im actually working right now. Catering." 

"So you've been here the whole time! And didn't even say hi. How mean!" You pouted at him. 

"I..didn't want you to see me like this." Lay scratched the back of his head. 

"Why not? You don't know how bored I was! And what's wrong with working?" Your pout deepened and you hit his shoulder. 

Lay was happy to hear your words and he smiled,"Im sorry, I should've said hi to you sooner. Did I tell you how beautiful you looked tonight, Kang Jina?"

You blushed and bit your lips,"N-No..."

"Well, you look very beautiful." Lay leaned forward with his angelic smile. 

You blushed deeper,"Y-You look handsome too." 

Lay chuckled and looked at his catering uniform,"Really? Thanks I guess." 

"D-Do you want to walk around with me Yixing?" You got enough courage to ask him.

Lay was caught of guard, never thinking you'd invite him for a stroll,"Sure. Im on break anyway." 

You smiled,"Great."

 

Meanwhile, Luhan was trying his best not to feel guilty about what had happened with Sumin. 

No! You can't possibly feel bad! She's annoying, weird, loud, funny, and cute...NO! Snap out of it Luhan! Luhan shook his head and continued serving to the guest.

His eyes wandered around the room, looking for a specific girl in gold. He spotted Sumin talking to Minhyuk.

"Doesn't she look comfortable." Luhan scoffed and pouted. He shook his head tried to distract himself with catering more trays.

"He looks pissed." Xiumin mumbled with some food in his mouth.

Kris shook his head,"Xiumin! Stop eating the food!"

"What?! Boss said we could have some." Xiumin shrugged and continued eating some finger sandwiches.

"Luhan's mood is a little down." Chen observed closely. 

"Hey, guys! Sumin's here~!" Tao came toward them with an excited smile,"She's talking to Minhyuk hyung too!" 

Chen smirked and patted Tao's head,"Good job maknae." 

"Eh?" Tao tilted his head,"What'd I do?"

"Nothing, just continue catering." Kris grumbled as he tried to pull Xiumin away from the buffet table.

 

"I didn't know your father was a big time lawyer." Lay strolled beside you. 

You smiled at him,"You never asked. Plus, I don't really like to talk about my family."

"Oh, Im sorry...but Im always here to listen if you want." Lay offered with a kind grin.

You felt a warm glow in your heart,"Thank you Yixing. You're always so helpful and kind."

Lay chuckled,"Im nothing special, I just want to help. I know how it feels to not want to open up. But it feels good when you share your problems with other people." 

You felt like you could trust Lay and decided to tell him.

"Im always alone at home. My parents are never home cause of work. It was ok cause I had Minhyuk oppa with me. Then he joined his band and then it was just me a home. My mom is the famous model Nara and my father is a famous lawyer. I don't really talk much and Im very shy. The only thing that made the loneliness disappear was singing, but I can't sing in public. My father wants me to be a lawyer like him. I was lucky he let me attend Seoul Fine Arts Academy."

Lay quietly listened to your story and he gently patted your head,"It must've been tough being by yourself all the time at your house."

"I turned out ok, right?" You softly giggled.

"I hope you can sing for me one day..." Lay confessed.

"S-Sing to you?" You blushed at the thought,"I...maybe. I'd like to sing for you someday too." 

"Yeah." Lay smiled. "So, are you going to be a singer when you're older?" 

"Um, I don't think so. It'd be nice if I could compose songs, since I have stage fright." You sighed,"Plus, I think being a lawyer isn't so bad..."

"A lawyer? I thought composing was what you'd want to do?" Lay asked.

"Well, my father would be pleased with me being a lawyer. Or maybe a model for my mother." You looked up at the sky,"I don't know anymore."

"I think, you should do what you want to do." Lay simply advised,"It's your life you're controlling. You should do something that makes you happy. If composing or singing makes you happy, I think you should pursue it."

"That's what Sumin tells me." You sadly smiled,"I just lack confidence in myself." 

"Then find confidence in yourself." Lay shrugged,"Nothing's ever easy for everyone. You have to work hard for something you really love. Right?" He gave you an encouraging smile.

You gazed at him,"You're so...serene. You know how to make others feel better. How do you do it? You always make me so calm. You tell me soothing words all the time. You make me feel different." 

Lay gazed back at you,"Same with you...I've never felt so alive? I guess you could say. You make me feel emotions I've never felt before." 

"Really?" You whispered.

Lay nodded,"Y-yeah...I think I-"

"Jina." 

You both turned away and looked up at Kai.

Kai smiled,"I've been looking everywhere for you. Come on inside. It's cold to be out here. And Lay, shouldn't you be serving?" Kai gave Lay a smirk.

Lay took a deep breath,"Sorry, sir. I apologize."

You looked at Lay,"Yixing...Kai, he was on break. And I asked him to walk with me." You frowned and grabbed Lay's arm,"Don't go yet."

Lay gave you a small smile,"Sorry, I have to work. It was very nice talking to you Jina." Lay grabbed your hand and gave it a small kiss,"I had fun." 

You blushed and brought your hand to your chest,"Y-Yes."

Lay gave Kai a look before heading back inside. Kai glared at his back, then looked at your dazed face,"Jina, let's go."

You nodded and followed Kai. 

"I don't understand why you hang out with Lay. He's...not of your circle." Kai muttered while fixing his suit.

You frowned at his words and quickly defended Lay,"Yixing is my friend, please do not bad mouth him. I don't like your attitude at the moment Kai. Excuse me, but I have somewhere else to be."

Kai watched you walk away and kicked a pilar,"Damn poor boy. Ruining everything."

 

Luhan searched for Sumin with his eyes. He was on break and walked around, keeping near the walls making sure not to bother the guest.  He couldn't hurt her like that and decided to apologize for being rude and lying. But he couldn't find her.

"Who are you looking for?" Chen snickered at Luhan.

Luhan shot him a look,"No one important."

"Oh really, well, if you didn't know, Sumin is here near the dessert table...alone." Chen winked and walked away to an old lady,"Shrimp balls Miss?"

Luhan chuckled,"That bastard." 

Luhan quickly walked toward the dessert table. Sumin was there moping around with a plate full of sweets and cakes. She had downcasted eyes and a small pout on her lips. 

That's my fault. Luhan bit his lip and slowly made his way to her. 

"H-Hey." 

Sumin looked up surprised,"L-Luhan. What are you doing here? Sorry, am I in your way again?"

"N-No...I just needed to tell you something. So, listen well." Luhan snapped. Sumin shut and leaned close to him. 

Luhan gulped and swallowed in his pride,"I-Im sorry...and you look very beautiful tonight." 

Sumin blushed and became speechless. Luhan blushed too and started to walk away, but Sumin back hugged him. Luhan became stiff. 

"Thank you." Sumin whispered tearfully. 

Luhan sighed with a small smile,"Geez, did it mean that much to you?"

"Mmm." Sumin smiled and hugged him tightly.

 

"Yixing!" You found him in the back with the other boys. It was the end of their shift. Lay looked up as he took off his apron,"J-Jina, what are you doing back here?"

"I-I wanted to ask you something." You nervously looked at all the Exo-M boys giving you smiles. 

"Yes?" Lay asked, rolling his sleeves up. 

You motioned him to come closer to you. Lay stepped closer to you and leaned down a bit. 

"Dance with me?" You whispered into his ear. 

Lay looked at you,"Me?"

You nodded your head.

"Dance with you?" He said out loud.

Exo-M boys howled.  You looked away embarrassed.

"Alright." Lay smiled. "But Im not properly dressed..." He looked down at his white dress shirt and black slacks.

"Just go dude! You'll blend in!" Xiumin hollered.

"Right!" Tao cheered.

"Dance your little hearts out." Kris laughed.

"Go." Luhan smiled.

"Let's go?" Lay held out his hand.

You grabbed his and he pulled you to the dance floor where many other couples danced close to one another.

It was the first time you did something so daring. And you enjoyed it.

Your parents were shocked at this new face with you. Your mother suddenly remember him,"Dimple boy." 

"Dimple boy?" Your father heard her,"Who is he?!"

"Just a friend, father." Minhyuk smiled at the two of you,"Don't worry. I've met him already. He's a good boy."

Your mother slapped Minhyuk's arm and mouthed,'You've met him?!'

Minhyuk smiled at his mother and nodded. She sighed in relief and hugged your father's arm,"I wish we were young again."

Your father gave her a look and rolled his eyes, knowing the real reason why she was whining,"Let's go dance, darling. I know you've wanted to dance too."

Your mother giggled and pulled your father into the dance floor, past you and Lay,"Hi Jina and Dimple boy~!" 

"Nara! Be careful!" Your father called after her.

You and Lay exchanged looks and laughed. 

"Dimple boy?" Lay tilted his head.

"I-I guess she just saw your dimple." You quickly lied. Mom, you and your careless mouth!

Lay shrugged and gripped your hand in his and held your waist lightly. You felt giddy inside and nervous. You were wondering where you had the guts to ask Lay to dance. But it felt like a dream to you.

Lay didn't care if people stared at the two of you. He didn't care about the social status difference. He didn't care about Kai's words. He just liked the way you were in his arms. 

"You're beautiful." Lay suddenly mumbled.

"You already said that." You a bit. 

Lay blushed,"R-Right." 

It was amazing to see him so flustered and you giggled. 

 

"Come on and dance with Sumin." Chen pushed Luhan.

"Me? No thanks. My feet would get crushed." Luhan scoffed.

Kris rolled his eyes,"She's one of the best female dancers in our school."

"Don't be a ." Tao retorted.

All the boys looked toward the youngest who blushed,"What?!"

Luhan shook his head. Then he spotted Minhyuk heading towards her. !

He suddenly stood up and quickly ran toward Sumin and pulled her hand,"D-Dance with me!" Luhan saw from the corner of his eyes Minhyuk smirking. 

Minhyuk snickered,"Sorry, I was just saying goodbye to Sumin since I have to leave already. But if you really wanted to dance with her that bad, go ahead." Minhyuk patted Luhan's head and kissed Sumin's cheeks,"Bye Sumin-ah, visit me soon?"

"Bye oppa." Sumin waved.

Once Minhyuk was gone, Luhan groaned,"I can't believe that happened!" 

Sumin giggled,"You wanted to dance with me that bad?"

Luhan glared at her,"Don't think you're all that."

"Don't worry, I wasn't." Sumin smiled and held out her hand,"Dance with me please?"

"Fine. Since you want to." Luhan cleared his throat.

Sumin rolled her eyes,"Pabo."

"Bwoh? What'd you call me." 

"Nothing, my honey." Sumin kissed his cheek and hugged his arm. 

Luhan secretly smiled.

 

Kai watched as you two danced together. He felt angry that a guy like Lay could make you smile so easily. Why him?! Kai angrily thought. He couldn't stand it. 

"I have to do something." Kai growled and held onto his cup. He suddenly smirked,"I'll get you back." 

Lay was spinning you around the room and you clung tightly to him. He smiled when he heard your happy laugh.

Suddenly he bumped into someone. 

"What the hell?!"

Lay frowned when he saw Kai with a stained suit.

Kai glared at Lay,"Look what you did servant!"

Lay stepped back,"K-Kai."

"You know how much this cost?! Ten times more than your damn paycheck!" Kai yelled.

People started to gather around as Kai shouted. Lay gripped his hands into a ball from humiliation. 

"I apologize." Lay bowed.

You covered your mouth,"Yixing."

Kai smirked,"You think bowing is enough?!"

Lay blinked,"I-I'll pay for the cleaning."

"You can't just dry clean this!" Kai sneered.

Lay felt all eyes on him. He didn't know what to do. It was embarrassing enough you were watching.

"Stop it, Kai!" You defended,"Yixing didn't see you. It wasn't his fault!"

"Doesn't matter!" Kai growled. 

"What's going on here?" Your father came beside you along with your mother.

Kai's father came beside him. 

"This servant knocked my drink into my suit!" Kai spat.

"Is that true Jongin?" Daejung eyed Lay. 

"Yes, father." Kai growled.

Lay kept in his anger. 

You touched Lay's arm,"Yixing..."

But Lay bowed again,"I apologize Kai-ssi." 

You didn't like how Lay was being treated and pulled him up, but Lay wouldn't budge.

"Yixing! You don't have to apologize! You did nothing wrong!" You cried. 

"Look what he did to my son's suit!" Daejung pointed to Kai's jacket,"How could he not do anything wrong. Aish, some commoners..."

You've never been so angry at someone before and glared at Kai's father,"Like I said, Lay isn't the only one at fault!"

"Excuse me young girl, but do not raise your voice at me!" Daejung scowled at you.

Your father watched as Lay was still bowing formally to Kai, who was being a total brat. Along with his father.

"That's enough Daejung. I don't appreciate you yelling at my daughter...Yixing, please, stop bowing." Your father tapped his shoulder.

Lay slowly stood up straight again and looked at your father. 

Your father took out his wallet,"How much is your suit?"

Kai blinked,"S-Sir, please don't pay for this...low life." Kai eyed Lay when he said the last words. 

Your father narrowed his eyes at Kai,"Sorry, low life? I think you've got your names switched young man." 

"Yeah, Yixing doesn't deserve your ill words you lil player! Like father like son!" Your mother sneered at him.

Kai was taken back at your mother. You were shocked as well. 

"Nara." Your father eyed her,"Stop."

Your mother pouted,"He started it."

"Alright, Jihoo, please, don't. I'll take care of him. I apologize for my behavior along with my son's. I think we'll leave now." Daejung grabbed Kai's shoulders and lead him out. 

Lay sighed and bowed to your father,"Thank you sir. I don't know how I can repay you for trying to help me out." 

Your father gave him a nod,"A friend of my daughter is a friend of mine. Please, I leave her in your care. You seem like a good kid. Jina, we'll be leaving soon." 

"Bye, Dimple boy~!" Your mother waved at him and winked at you. 

You gave your mom a look and glanced at Lay,"You alright?"

Lay closed his eyes and let out a little laugh,"I can't believe that happened."

"I know. Kai was such a jerk." You muttered,"I thought he was nice."

"Yeah, he isn't." Lay smirked.

 

You walked Lay back to the area where the caterers were.

Exo-M came to his side,"We saw what that bastard did!"

Lay held up his hands,"It's fine. It's settled so don't worry over it."

Kris frowned,"He's always been an ."

"Something's always stuck up his ." Tao rolled his eyes. 

Everyone looked at Tao.

He groaned,"What?!"

"Good job Lay!" Sumin cheered. 

"Sumin?!" You gaped at her,"Since when were you here?!"

"Hi Jinnie~! I've been here for quite awhile. I couldn't find you, but I could see why. Don't worry, Luhan has been keeping me company~!" Sumin giggled and hugged Luhan's arm. 

"Please! Stop it! Just cause I complimented you, don't let things get to your head!" Luhan tried to pry her off, but it was no use. He gave up,"Whatever. Do as you please."

"I will~!" Sumin sang.

Luhan face palmed.

"Jina! We're leaving! Sumin we're taking you home with us! I called Donghae already!" Your mother called from afar. 

You and Sumin nodded,"Yes!"

"I guess I'll kiss you later~!" Sumin winked and waved at Luhan,"Bye boys."

"Bye Sumin~!" Exo-M smiled.

Sumin wiggled her eyebrows at you and left first,"Hey Auntie~!"

You giggled and watched as your friend hugged your mom.

You glanced at Lay,"Thanks for hanging out with me tonight. I had a lot of fun."

Lay smiled at you,"Same here. Get home safely." 

"Yes, you too." You smiled.

"Just kiss already!" Chen sighed.

"Eh?!" You and Lay gawked at him.

Luhan smirked,"Kiss her!"

"Kiss her! Kiss her!" Exo-M chorused.

You blushed,"G-Guys!" 

While you were looking at them, Lay took the chance and pecked your cheek.  You gasped and looked up at Lay who became flustered again. 

"U-Uh, I-I'll see you...then. B-Bye!" You bowed quickly and ran away.

"Bye~!" Exo-M cooed. They glanced at their silent friend and snickered,"Good job."

Lay blinked and blinked over and over again. Staying in the same spot. 

Luhan smirked,"You finally lost your first cheek kiss." 

Lay looked at his best friend,"I can't believe I did that!"

"Believe it." Luhan snickered and walked away whistling,"Let's get home boys."

Lay's lips turned into a small smile and he followed his friends out the back door.