Heartbeat

My Deer Princess

 

 

Holding the hand of the doe-eye girl tightly, the tall girl strides past the school gate and steps into the front yard of the school. Having improved their relationship with each other, the doe-eye girl decided to fetch the tall girl from her house daily and goes to school together with her.

 

“Morning, Sooyoung ssi.” Their classmates greeted the tall girl as she appears at the door, not exactly expecting to see the doe-eye girl behind her. Normally, the doe-eye girl will only appear when school is about to start, to avoid people. They blinked when they see the deer antlers appearing suddenly, before the girl enters. “O… Oh… Morning, Yoona ssi…”

 

“Morning.” Sooyoung smiled and turns to the doe-eye girl, who seems to be struggling on her own for some reason. People focus on her, trying to guess what she’s trying to do. “Are you sure you can do it? It’s okay if you don’t, you know… Just take things slowly.”

 

“… M… M… M… Mor… M… Morning…!” Yoona managed to let it out from , but softly so only a few of their classmates who are sitting closer to the door can hear her. For a moment, there was silence and the people in class stare at her blankly, their minds trying to process what just happened.

 

“O… O… OH MY GOD! WAIT! DID SHE JUST TALKED TO US?!” As if planned, all of them exclaimed at the same time, shocking the doe-eye girl who went hiding behind the tall girl’s back immediately.

 

“Jeez, guys! You are scaring her!” Sooyoung sighed. “She told me that she will try her best to socialize more so can you guys please calm down. If you guys continue to be like this, she might stop it because you guys are scary.”

 

“W… We’re sorry… B… But we are just surprised… I mean… It’s so sudden…”

 

“I know, I know. But keep it down, okay? I can't have you scaring my deer..."

"Your deer...?"

"H... Huh...? I... I... I said this deer...! Not my deer...!" Sooyoung became a little flustered after realizing what she had said and she brings Yoona back to their seats quickly before she gets questioned further.

 

“Yoona ssi, when will you show us your face? Honestly, we are kind of jealous that you actually got so close to Sooyoung ssi when she knows you for a shorter period of time…” Those classmates sitting near them start to gather a little, hoping to hear something from the doe-eye girl again.

 

“Hey. Didn’t I say that I actually know her before you guys know her…? And don’t crowd around like this… You’re making her uncomfortable…” Sooyoung starts to shoo them away again, so they took a step back to give the girls more space, but their attention are still fix on the doe-eye girl.

 

“Sooyoung ssi, you are acting like an overprotective boyfriend…”

 

“H… H… Huh?” Sooyoung’s face turns red in an instant, and that’s obviously unexpected. Their classmates stare at her blankly, wondering why is she blushing all of the sudden.

 

“K… K… Knight…” Just then, Yoona blurted out another word as she points to Sooyoung, before smiling at the people surrounding them. That successfully directs attention away from Sooyoung’s reddened face.

 

“You two are still playing the knight and princess game? But being a princess, does that mean Yoona ssi is good looking? Princesses are supposed to be really pretty, aren’t they?”

 

“Not all princesses are pretty…!” Sooyoung interrupted and when she notices the stares of the people with the so-you-mean-she-is-not-pretty look, she turns to Yoona and added quickly, “but… but I didn’t mean that she’s not pretty…”

 

“So she IS pretty?”

 

“H… Huh…?” Sooyoung didn’t know how to answer. Saying no will be a big fat lie and it might hurt the doe-eye girl, but saying yes might result in unwanted attention on Yoona. She looks at Yoona nervously and realizes that the girl is looking at her as well. “… S… She’s feeling uncomfortable now. Please move away…!”

 

“Excuses~! But for Yoona ssi’s sake, we shall move away now but we will question you again, Sooyoung ssi.” Their classmates laughed as they move away to let the girls rest.

 

“Why are you doing this to me…?!” Sooyoung protested.

 

“Because you’re nice to tease!”

 

“JEEZ! A… And you! Don’t laugh!” Sooyoung notices that Yoona is laughing again, silently of course. Yoona sticks her tongue out at her playfully, another new thing for the class to see. “Why you…!” Sooyoung reaches over to pinch her cheeks and she starts to struggle while still laughing quietly.

 

CRASH.

 

“Jeez, the two of you… you’re really like a couple…” Their classmates start to crowd around again to look at the two girls on the floor, Sooyoung lying on top of Yoona with her hands still on the cheeks of the girl and Yoona is holding on to her hood. The two of them froze in that position for a moment, staring at each other, until their classmates start teasing again. “Are you going to kiss her, Sooyoung ssi? I don’t think we would be surprise if that happens.”

 

“W… W… W… What?!” Sooyoung jumps up immediately, blushing madly. “W… W… Why… Why would I do that…?”

 

“Knight! You left your princess on the floor!”

 

“Oh crap! Yoona! Are you okay? I’m sorry…” Sooyoung pulled Yoona up easily and even helped her to dust off the dirt on her back. What the rest, including Sooyoung, didn’t realize is that, Sooyoung isn’t the only one who is blushing a lot. Sooyoung isn’t the only one with rapid heartbeat as well.