Deer

My Deer Princess

 

The tall girl enters the classroom after she’s called upon, and she smiles kindly at the students who are going to be her classmates after this simple introduction. She uses the time that the teacher is busy blabbering to take a good look around the whole room, at the faces of her classmates. Everyone, especially the guys, are looking at her with sparkling eyes. She’s too used to this kind of attention that it’s nothing to her. But there’s something bothering her.

 

A deer.

 

She stood out from the rest easily, with that overly large hooded shirt that has deer antlers and ears on the hood. She’s unsure why no one told her off for wearing that hoodie, with the hood covering half her face and hair flowing out from under the hood.

 

“Choi Sooyoung ssi?” The teacher called out her name as he looks at her. Seems like she got lost in her thoughts about that particular deer at the back of the class that she forgets about the fact that she’s about to introduce herself to her new classmates. With her eyes still on that deer, she introduces herself sweetly. The seat she got assigned to, is right beside that deer. Reason being, that’s the only available seat, since no one really wanted to sit there.

 

“Good luck socializing with her, Sooyoung ssi.” The guy sitting in directly in front of her smirks at her as she takes her seat beside the deer. Sooyoung didn’t really understand why at first and she’s obviously confused by the fact that none of the teachers called her seating partner to answer any question, even though everyone else did. Not even once.

 

She barely got to know the girl’s name from other people during lunch but the girl is nowhere to be seen. She’s one mysterious person and Sooyoung is rather interested in her. The girl came back to the classroom around a minute before the bell rings. Very punctual, it seems.

 

Sooyoung leans over slightly, positioning her head lower, in attempt to peek under the hood but the girl pulled the hood further down and even presses it against her own face before moving away slightly.

 

“Say, why are you hiding? It seems like you are hiding both your face and your voice right now. Is there a reason why you’re doing this?” Sooyoung finally spoke, after observing the girl for the whole day. The girl kept quiet and Sooyoung felt ignored. Sighing, Sooyoung torn a page from her notebook and slides it towards the girl. “Here, write. I believe you know how to write so write down your replies.”

 

Don’t bother about me.

 

That’s the first sentence she wrote. Sooyoung stares at the sentence for a while, knowing that the girl isn’t going trust her with anything yet. Would some teasing make things better and bring them closer?

 

“You actually wanted to ask me not to bother you right?” Sooyoung grins, sliding the paper towards the girl in the process. The girl seems shocked, and quickly scribbled a ‘no’ on the paper.

 

“Are you sure? I bet you’re some rude person who didn’t like to socialize that why you don on such a weird appearance to keep people away. Making yourself mysterious and weird, to stop people from coming to you and talk to you. Am I wrong?” Sooyoung continues with her teases, and from the mouth of that girl, she could easily see that the girl is getting more and more uneasy about getting misunderstood.

 

The girl bits her lips and clenches her fists, probably trying to think of a way to clear up the misunderstanding that never exist.

 

“Hey…” Sooyoung holds on to one of the girl’s fist. “Relax. I’m just teasing.”

 

The girl turns to her slightly, and she smiles brightly at her to assure her that there’s no misunderstanding here. The girl starts to relax and she tries to pull her hand away from Sooyoung, but the latter held on tightly.

 

“Come on. Nothing will be solved if you keep on hiding. You must have met some problems before that lead to you becoming like this and if you keep everything to yourself, you can’t survive in the society. It must be uncomfortable for you to confide to just anyone so, why don’t you befriend me first?” Sooyoung moves closer to the girl and whispers, not wanting anyone else to hear. The girl seems to be looking at her right now, from under that hood. “Once you’re comfortable with me, slowly tell me your problem and we can get through it together.”

 

The girl’s mouth opens for a moment, and she closes it again while looking away, down at her desk. She bits her lips once again, probably hesitating and considering Sooyoung’s proposal.

 

“I will take your silence as a yes. Your name is Yoo-“ After waiting for nearly ten minutes, Sooyoung spoke up again. But she got interrupted in the middle of her sentence.

 

“Sooyoung ssi, she won’t talk so I would appreciate it if you stop trying to talk to her and concentrate on the lesson. Your behavior isn’t what a new student should have, you know.” The teacher stated in a rather annoyed tone and Sooyoung apologized immediately. Letting out a sigh, she turns back to the girl to see something written on the piece of paper.

 

Yoona. Im Yoona.

 

Sooyoung grins, picking up the paper and folding it, before slotting it into her wallet.