Chapter 36

hate to love you, love to hate you [Sequel to: BECAUSE OF A BET]

 

"What have you done?", Yuri asked.
 
Mina is now her 'normal' self. She slept well according to her mom. They had to bring her home once Yuri got to where Key and Mina were yesterday. Key almost died by Yuri's hands good thing Onew was there too.
 
"I don't know..."
 
"What's the last thing you remembered doing?", Yuri asked.
 
"Uhm, I'm not sure", Mina answered not really paying attention to Yuri's question. "What time is it?"
 
"It's 3pm", Yuri answered.
 
"3pm? Woah, I slept long. Thank goodness it's Sunday!", Mina smiled inspite of her headache.
 
"Look at your phone", Yuri said.
 
"Huh?"
 
"Just check your phone. Check the last person you called."
 
Mina did as told. Then she saw Taemin's number.
 
"You called him Mina."
 
"Eh?", Mina said not really understand where this conversation is going.
 
"You called Taemin and broke up with him.", Yuri finally revealed.
 
"Bwoh?", Mina automatically stood up. "Wae? I didn't really do that right? How can I? I was drunk? What did Key do?"
 
"Apparently he was not there at the time you called him, you were alone when you did that.", Yuri said.
 
"But Yuri... I can't. I mean I don't want - "
 
"I know Mina, I know you didn't mean anything. I called Jonghyun just this morning, he said Taemin won't talk to him."
 
"What else did I say to him?"
 
"I don't know... ", Mina looked at her friend helplessly.
 
"Let's just wait for now. Taemin won't answer any call", said Yuri. 
 
"I can't possibly have done that."
 
"You did Mina. I knew you were drunk but what's done is done."
 
"I'm afraid Yuri..."
 
"Don't be, everything would be fine."
 
 
 
_
 
 
 
 
 
"Taemin wait up!", Onew shouted as he ran after his friend. "Going home?"
 
"Nah, I still have practice." They walked together going to the gym.
 
"Uhm, about - "
 
"I know what you'll say hyung", Taemin said.
 
"Uhm yeah but can you listen first?" Taemin nodded. "Good. Well we all decided that you should just talk to Mina about this."
 
Taemin just continued walking. It's been a week since that call. She never called again. It's always their friends telling him to call her or just see her and talk.
 
"Taemin she was drunk. She only said those things because she was drunk."
 
"I don't know hyung, sometimes the thing you say when you're drunk are the ones you really feel in your heart."
 
"That's not true, well maybe sometimes for some people that maybe true but you know Mina. She can't - "
 
"She did hyung. She broke up with me. It's probably all my fault to begin with but I'm not the one who ended it. I'm not the one who gave up."
 
"Taemin, how could you say that?"
 
"Wae? Don't I have the right to be hurt too? You're all saying she didn't mean a thing and yet she can't even come up and talk to me! Why are you here explaining and saying she was just drunk and didn't mean it all instead of her?", Taemin yelled this time. He felt it was unfair for all of them to take Mina's side when he's their friend too. 
 
He was ready to tell her everything. He couldn't really take not being with her anymore. That night when the call happened he was going to Mina's house but she was not there. He can't even contact her and was surprise to receive a call from her.
 
He was not prepared for the things she said. True he lied to her and kept a secret but he had reasons, he can tell her anything but what if the secret is not his to tell? Lying to her was the last thing he'd do and he only did it to keep that secret.
 
"What is Sohyun to you Taemin?", Onew asked suddenly. "I know she's more than a friend."
 
"You're right hyung, she is. I grew up knowing her. We never really got the chance to be together. Everything about her was kept a secret."
 
"What do you mean?", Onew asked getting more curious. 
 
"I was planning to tell Mina everything even if I break a promise to Sohyun."
 
"And that is? Goodness Taemin tell us already", Onew urged.
 
Taemin smiled at Onew's reaction. 
 
"I met Sohyun when I was eight..."
 
 
FLASHBACK
 
 
"Taemin, this is Sohyun", his father said.
 
Taemin was just a child then but he knew something was coming. He knew this girl his father is introducing to her is someone special someone that would become a part of their lives.
 
"Hi", Taemin said to the timid girl. She didn't return his smile though. She just stared at him and standing straight not even blinking.
 
"Sohyun, this is Taemin your brother", Mr. Lee went on.
 
Taemin looked at him but didn't ask the question. How could he have a sister he didn't know of? 
 
"Sohyun-shi, you'll be living wiht us since your mon is -"
 
"I don't want to. I want to stay here. I don't want to go to Seoul", the little girl said without taking her eyes off Taemin.
 
"But Sohyun-shi..."
 
"I don't want to leave. I want to visit Umma whenever I want to. I don't want to leave her."
 
"You can visit your umma anytime", Mr. Lee reasoned. "Just tell us."
 
"I don't want to live with you. I hate you!",  with that said Sohyun ran off and Mr. Lee had to chase after her.
 
Taemin stood there for a few minutes before his mom came and talked to him.
 
"Umma...?"
 
"I'm sorry for not telling you sooner son", Mrs. Lee began. "I know it's hard to understand now but you will someday."
 
"But why? Why didn't I know I had a sister? And why does she have a different umma?"
 
 
 
 
-
 
 
 
 
"She refused to live with us, a distant aunt took her and dad sends her allowance. But that aunt mistreated Sohyun. We only knew recently what was happening to her. Mom and dad visited her one time and found her sick. The aunt didn't even bother bringing her to the hospital. They also found out that her aunt gambles the money that dad sends and beats Sohyun when she's drunk. She didn't want to come first but dad had made a decision. Still she didn't want to live with us so she rents an apartment near here."
 
"Taemin, why did you keep this a secret?"
 
"It was her decision hyung. I wanted to introduce her as my sister but she said she didn't want to. She wanted to live like a normal kid."
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"Well, she's been bullied all her life because she grew up without a father. You see when my dad married my mom he had a girlfriend. I already told you about my parents' story right?"
 
"Yeah, they were just arranged to be married."
 
"Yes, and Sohyun's mom is my dad's girlfriend and that time. Apparently just out of anger to his parents dad kept on seeing Sohyun's mom even when he got married to my mother. He only ended the relationship when my mom got pregnant with me not knowing that Sohyun's mom is pregnant too. We were born just a few months apart. My mom gave birth first since I was pre-mature. She was just six months in her pregnancy when she had me. She almost died and that's why I'm an only child. Just two months after, Sohyun's mom gave birth."
 
"How did your dad found out about her?", Onew asked.
 
"Sohyun's aunt wrote to us. He found out when  Sohyun's mom died."
 
"I'm sorry Taemin."
 
"I didn't know how I'd felt that time but I'm happy now that I have a sister. My mom and dad love me so much but Sohyun only had her mom and was taken from her at a very young age. I have lots of friends growing up, but Sohyun had no one. She was always being bullied and made fun of. Kids call her names because she had no dad and her mom died. Even when she was in highschool she was still bullied. It was not easy for her hyung, once people find out her background they judge her and won't make friends with her since she was born out of wedlock."
 
"That's just immature. Your dad didn't even know about it."
 
"I know but Sohyun was the one blamed for everything. She lived a life of misery hyung and she wanted a new start. She didn't want to tell people she's my sister because she's afraid the same thing would just happen. I told her you guys are good but you can't blame her. People look at her existence as a mistake and judge her. She wants to be your friend but not because she's just my sister but because you like her as Sohyun."
 
Onew didn't say anything for a while. "What are you planning to do now?"
 
"I know I made a mistake in not telling Mina but I didn't want to disappoint Sohyun, I wanted her to trust me. I wanted her to know that I'm her brother. But Mina... well she didn't... it's over hyung."
 
"Taemin, just tell Mina this and everything would be fine."
 
"I don't know. Maybe she's right. Maybe we need time for ourselves. Maybe she's tired of being with me, well I can't blame her we've been together for long now. Maybe we need to apart."
 
"You don't really believe that do you?"
 
Taemin look at him. "I don't know hyung, but if she really didn't mean it all why does it hurt this much? I've got my pride too and if she wants out, then I'm okay with."