Chapter 45

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

Haneul's POV~
 
"It's already Christmas and yet it feels so lonely without Luhan, Sungsoo and what I thought would be my first Christmas with Woohyun," I softly said staring out the window at the snow gracefully falling from the sky. "Maybe I'm lonely because I'm home alone at the time being."
 
I sighed and walked around the empty house while my parents were out with Minah. Not even a single maid or butler was around, but it's Christmas Day who would work on this day?
 
"What should I do until my parents come back?" I wondered while twirling around in my pajamas. "Ouu~ I'll make cookies~!"
 
I walked into the kitchen and searched for Sungsoo's cookie doughs, which are usually just in the refrigerator, but I couldn't find any. 
 
"Do I have to make my own cookie dough?" I questioned and grabbed the baking book from the little shelf in the corner. "But I can't bake or cook...."
 
I was craving for cookies too, so I decided to try and make cookies. I flipped through the pages of various kinds of cookies when I came across the chocolate chip cookie section; plain and simple chocolate chip cookies. I was looking through the recipe, not knowing what some of the things were or how they even looked like. 
 
"What's flour?" I asked myself while tapping the wooden spoon on my chin. "Not only what is it, but where is it?"
 
I walked around the room to find anything that said "flour" on it, but came across nothing. 
 
"Why is this so frustrating?!" I shouted not being able to find anything in my own kitchen; technically Sungsoo's. I sighed and pouted. "How am I going to make cookies now?"
 
"Should I help you?" a voice asked from behind. I rounded my eyes and turned around. 
 
"Woohy-" I was saying until I saw the face of the owner. "M-Myungsoo, how did you get in?"
 
"Oh, your parents gave me an extra key to the house," he said holding it up. 
 
"Really?" I asked as he nodded. "Even I don't have my own key to this house...but why are you here?"
 
"I wanted to spend christmas with my fiancé, so I thought I'd come and enjoy the day," he smiled and walked up to me. "I heard you shouting out there. You want to make cookies, am I right?"
 
"Yeah, but the thing is I don't know where all the ingredients are or what they are," I said embarrassed. He softly chuckled and patted my head. 
 
"I'll help you. I used to make cookies with Woo-uh, with my hyungs when I was little," he said and grabbed an apron. "First let's find the ingredients."
 
"Okay~!" I said and pulled my hair up. "By the way, what's flour?"
 
He looked at me with wide eyes and made a face. 
 
"You're going to be one useless wife," he said and looked around the kitchen for the ingredients. 
 
"Well I never learnt how to cook, so you can't blame me," I said with a pout and crossed my arms. 
 
"I will blame you because you didn't put the effort into trying to learn," he said with a smile and took out some containers. "This here is flour."
 
He opened the lid and some white things puffed out. I looked in the container and saw nothing, but white powder. 
 
"This is it?" I asked as he nodded. "Oh."
 
"Oh? That's all you can say?" he snickered and took out the rest of the things. "Now that we have everything, lets get started."
 
I smiled and nodded, helping him with whatever he needed help with.
 
Myungsoo's POV~
 
I was rolling the dough up into small little balls to put on the cookie sheets while Haneul just stared at me. 
 
"Are you going to help me?" I asked her, but she only stared. "Haneul!"
 
She flinched, startled, and looked up at me. 
 
"Did you say something?" she asked with a slight smile. 
 
"I asked if you wanted to help," I said again, dropping the dough onto a cookie sheet.
 
"Oh, no I'm fine," she said and stretched her arm up. "Time has been going by super slow."
 
"30 minute have gone by already," I said rolling another chunk of dough. 
 
"That's only 30 minutes~" she whined. "I feel like we've been baking forever."
 
"We?" I asked with an eyebrow raised as she nodded. "I did all the work here."
 
She didn't say anything because she knew it was true. I gently flattened down the down and stuck it in the preheated over, now all was left is to wait. 
 
"Earlier when I came in, what were you going to call me? Or who's name were you going to call out?" I asked, sitting next to her. 
 
"I wasn't saying anyone's name..." she quietly said while biting her bottom lip. 
 
"Is that so?" I questioned as she nodded. "I swear I thought you were gonna call me Woohyun earlier."
 
I looked to see her reaction, but she seemed calm. Her body did seem tense though, but overall her face was surprisingly calm. 
 
"There's no reason for me to call you Woohyun," she said with a soft smile. "You are my fiancé, aren't you? It'd be wrong to call out another man's name."
 
"It would be, wouldn't it," I said with a forced smile and heard the timer beep. I got up on and opened the oven, taking out the finished batch of cookies, sliding in another batch into the oven. I took the cookies off the cookie sheets and set them on a cooling rack. 
 
"Haneul, would you like...," I trailed off to see that she was in a daze again. "What are you thinking about?"
 
Of course she didn't hear me because she was in deep thoughts. I just stared at her and sighed. 
 
"I was looking forward to spending Christmas with you without having you think about him," I whispered and grabbed a cookie. I pulled it in half and held one half up to her lips to see her react to it. 
 
"Oh, is the cookies finished?" she asked as I nodded. "Does it taste good?"
 
"It's perfect," I said with a smile and bit into my half. She took the other half and ate it. 
 
After an hour or so of baking and cleaning up, her parents and Minah had returned home with the sun setting. 
 
"Oppa, what did you buy me for Christmas?" Minah asked, jumping on me. I chuckled and picked her up. 
 
"You'll have to wait until we start opening up presents," I said and sat on the couch with her on my lap. 
 
"Why aren't you with your family?" she then asked while playing with my tie. 
 
"Why celebrate Christmas when there isn't a family to celebrate it with?" I asked with a soft smile. 
 
"Aren't you lonely though?" Minah asked, looking up at me with innocent eyes. I lightly pinched her cheeks and looked at Haneul. 
 
"Not when I'm with you guys, I'm not," I said to have Haneul look away, which made my heart tighten. 
 
Once the sun had completely gone and the moon was up and shining, we decided to open up presents. Mr. and Mrs. Park first opened theirs then Minah. All that was left was Haneul, I didn't ask for presents this year. She opened the gifts her parents bought her, the homemade drawing Minah drew, a gift from Sungsoo and Luhan that was sent through mail and last but not least Woohyun's and mine.
 
"You should open Myungsoo's gift first," her mother said as Haneul picked my present from under the tree. She slowly unwrapped it and smiled warmly at the gift. 
 
"It looks really warm Myungsoo," Haneul said, lifting up the scarf I had knitted for her. 
 
"It is, I made it myself too but with the helps of halmeoni," I said as she wrapped it around her neck. 
 
"Thank you," she said as she looked at me. 
 
"Unnie~ open Woohyun's present now~!" Minah said with excitement. "I wonder if you got a gown too~!"
 
Haneul smiled and grabbed a box, opening it to also see a scarf. It looked exactly like the one I made, but the color was different. 
 
"I got another scarf~!" Haneul said with glistening eyes. "It's beautiful. If only oppa was here for me to thank."
 
She took the scarf and wrapped it over mine, making me clench my jaw. 
 
"Oh~ Myungsoo it looks like you got a gift from Woohyun as well," Mr. Park said, handing me a box with a letter on it. I grabbed it and shook it a bit. 
 
"Go ahead and open it," Mrs. Park said and so I did. I widened my eyes and felt my heart pound against my chest it. 
 
"What is it?" Minah asked, hugging my neck from behind. "Huh? A camera?"
 
"That's the most expensive and high quality camera in the world," Haneul gasped with wide eyes. "Uwah~ you and Woohyun must be really close for him to buy you such an expensive gift!"
 
I couldn't stop staring at the camera, then took the letter to read to myself. 
 
Merry Christmas Myungsoo~! You aren't lonely this year again, are you? I hope not. I noticed that your old camera was, well, getting old so I decided to buy you a new camera. I know how much you love taking photos, so please use this camera to capture wonderful memories~! Have a wonderful Christmas and I'm sorry I wasn't able to make chocolate chip cookies with you this year. There's always next year^^ Stay warm and safe. Sincerely, Woohyun...Your hyung.
 
I clenched my jaw and the paper in my hand. I felt my eyes burn of tears fighting to come out, but I didn't want to cry...not in front of the Park family to humiliate myself. The one I wanted to spend Christmas with wasn't Haneul, but you hyung.