Chapter 31

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

Haneul's POV~
 
"Haneul...Haneul...YAH! HANEUL!" Key shouted, bringing me back from my daydreaming. 
 
"K-Key," I said blinking at him. He furrowed his eyebrows and poked my forehead. 
 
"You've been in a daze for awhile now. What are you thinking about?" he asked as I blushed at the thought of what happened at the festival last week. "Oh gosh, don't tell me you're still thinking about that?"
 
"How can I forget?" I sheepishly asked. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. 
 
"You must really like him," he said and laid his head on his arms that rested on his desk. "But what about Myungsoo? Do you like him? He is your fiancé after all."
 
"Sometimes I forget he's my fiancé," I honestly said and sighed. "But I don't know. He's a nice guy with a cold look, but I don't feel anything when I'm with him. Sure my heart beats for him, but whenever I'm with Woohyun; I can feel my legs weaken and my stomach flutter. If that made any sense."
 
"Sure, lets say it does," he said and played with his pen. "But remember that Myungsoo is your fiancé, you can't be having feelings for Woohyun. Things will be bad."
 
"I know, that's why I have to keep my feelings to myself and hopefully be able to develop something for Myungsoo," I said and softly smiled. "Sometimes fairy tales don't always have good endings."
 
"Maybe it's because fairy tales are fake," Key said and flipped the pen with class resuming again. 
 
Myungsoo's POV~
 
"Abeoji, have you taken your medications?" I asked, wheeling him into his room from the bathroom. 
 
"Yes I did. This morning before breakfast," he softly said and sighed. 
 
"Is there something wrong?" I asked, helping him get on his bed. I tucked him in and sat on the edge of the bed. "Abeoji, are you okay?"
 
"I'm fine Myungsoo," he slowly said. "I'm just tired, that's all."
 
"Are you sure?" I asked him again as he nodded. I held his hand and lightly squeezed it. "Well I'm heading off to work. If you need anything, call for the others. Hopefully they'll help you out and if not then call for the maids."
 
"I know. Just go to work," he said and smiled. I nodded and kissed his hand, getting up from his bed and headed out of his room. I walked down the stairs and looked at my brothers who just sat in the living room doing their own things. 
 
"Where's umma?" I asked them. 
 
"In the kitchen probably," Hoya said, aggressively tapping his iPod screen. "Die you bastards! Die!"
 
I rolled my eyes and looked at my watch. 
 
"I've gotta head out for work. While I'm out, watch over abeoji," I said but got no reaction from them. "Did you guys hear me?"
 
"Yeah, just leave already," Dongwoo said and shooed me away. I scoffed in disbelief and walked into the kitchen. My mother was sitting at the dining table reading some magazines while gracefully sipping her tea. 
 
"I'm heading off to work. You'll take of abeoji, right?" I asked as she just nodded. "I'm counting on you."
 
"I know Myungsoo. He is my husband after all," she said and flipped the page. I nodded and bowed before taking my leave. 
 
Hours have gone by already and it was almost time for Haneul to get out of school. I looked at my watch and sighed. I then took out my cell and texted her to inform her that I wasn't going to make it. 
 
Woohyun's POV~ 
 
The house phone was ringing and so I picked it up. 
 
"Hello?" I answered. 
 
"Oh? Woohyun oppa?" a voice said on the other line. "Where's Luhan?"
 
"He's working right now. Who's this?" I asked as the person giggled. 
 
"It's me Haneul. How do you not recognize my name?" she replied. I just smiled. 
 
"Is there something that you needed?" I then asked. 
 
"Oh yeah, Myungsoo won't be able to pick me up and so I called hoping Luhan could pi-"
 
"I'll come," I said, cutting her off. 
 
"Eh?"
 
"I'll come pick you up," I repeated. "School's over, right?"
 
"Yeah, it just ended," she answered. 
 
"Okay then, I'm on my way now. I'm hanging up," I said. 
 
"Okay, I'll be waiting at the front gates," she said and hung up. I smiled to myself and went to get the car. 
 
Driving to Haneul's school, I could feel my heart pound faster and faster the closer I got there. Even though I saw her this morning, I still couldn't get myself to stop thinking about her. It's a weird feeling honestly. 
 
Arriving at the school, she was waiting with Key at the front gates. I pulled up in front of them and stepped out of the car. 
 
"Haneul," I said with a smile.
 
"Hyung~!" Key shouted, startling me. "How've you been? I haven't seen you in forever!"
 
He walked around the car and suddenly hugged me. I blinked and looked at Haneul who just snickered. 
 
"Uh, yeah. It's been awhile Key," I said and patted his back, then pulled him off of me. "Thank you for staying with Haneul while I was on my way to pick her up."
 
"No problem. Anything for my hyung," he said with a wink and walked away, waving goodbye to Haneul.
 
"He's really something," I chuckled and looked at her, but she turned away. "Well, shall we go home?"
 
She just nodded and got in the car. I got in as well and started up the engine, driving off home in silence. 
 
"How was school today?" I asked breaking the silence. She didn't answer though. "Haneul?"
 
I looked at her and she was daydreaming. I lightly tapped her as she jumped, taking me by surprise. 
 
"W-what d-d-did you say?" she stuttered with a forced smile. 
 
"I asked how school was today," I said and focused back on driving. 
 
"It was fine, just fine," she quickly said and stayed quiet again. I felt the atmosphere get weird. 
 
"An I making things uncomfortable?" I then asked as she gasped and shook her head. 
 
"No! You're not making things uncomfortable!" she literally shouted into my ears. I flinched a bit and she bit her bottom lip. "I'm sorry for my sudden outburst."
 
"It's fine," I said and looked at her. She turned away again. "Did something happen? You're acting weird lately."
 
"A-am I? That's unusual," she said with an uneasy laugh. "Lets change subject. The weather's nice out today, isn't it?"
 
I looked up at the sky and saw that it was a bit gloomy; almost as if it was going to rain soon. 
 
"Sure," I replied and silence took over again. We got to the house and she quickly got out of the car and ran inside. She didn't even close the passenger's door. 
 
"Something's bothering her...is it me?" I whispered and just stared at the house. I got out and shut both doors before heading inside. 
 
"Oh Woohyun, were you the one who picked Haneul up?" Mrs. Park asked as I nodded. 
 
"When did you get home?" I asked her, setting the key on the key holder. "Would you like anything to drink or eat?" 
 
"I got home awhile ago, but green tea sounds good right now," she said with a smile. I nodded and headed into the kitchen to see Sungsoo hyung, sitting there with a piece of paper in his hand; it looked like a card. 
 
"Hyung, what are you doing?" I asked. He jumped, startled and looked at me with round eyes. I just looked at him for him to say something. "What are you doing?"
 
"I was just thinking," he said and looked back at that piece of paper. I looked over his shoulder and someone's handwriting. 
 
"What's that?" I asked him. 
 
"My daughter's wedding invitation," he quietly said, almost inaudible. 
 
"D-daughter?! I thought you were single?" I asked him, but he shook his head and sighed. 
 
"I'm single, just with a daughter," he said and stuffed the invitation card back into the envelope. 
 
"Hyung, what exactly happened?" I asked, sitting next to him. He stood up and threw the card in the garbage can. 
 
"I was young," he said and looked down at the garbage can. "I loved this girl, but she didn't love me. We had slept together one day and later found out she was pregnant. She hated me for getting her pregnant and so she left without a word. I then heard from her again and she had given birth to a girl and had married. I was heartbroken and decided that I wouldn't love another girl. Being a cook is what I was planning to do for the rest of my life because it was all that could make me happy."
 
Looking at the man standing in front if me, he wasn't jolly anymore. He was someone I didn't know. 
 
"What about your daughter's wedding?" I then asked. He shook his head and came back to sit next to me. 
 
"I can't face her and her mother. I've never seen her so why should I go and suddenly appear in front of her?" he asked with a low husky voice. "I can't go to the that wedding. I'm afraid that if I go, things will get bad."
 
I hung my head and nodded. "I understand you...Does the Park family know?"
 
He shook his head and fiddled his fingers. He then looked at me with teary eyes. 
 
"When the time is right, I'll let them know. I can't bare to keep this secret much longer from them after all they've done for me," he said and gently smiled. "They'll have to know, but not now."
 
I smiled back and patted his back when he suddenly hugged me. I could sense that he was crying. 
 
"Don't cry hyung," I softly comforted him and hugged him back. 
 
"I don't know how a kid like you could possibly make me open up so quickly," he softly cried. 
 
"It's because we're alike in our own way. We understand each other. It's better to let everything out than to keep it in anyways," I said while soothing his back. "Why don't you stop for today and rest? I was supposed to make tea for Mrs. Park a few minutes ago. I'll bring some up to you."
 
He nodded and so I escorted him to his room. He laid in bed and wiped his eyes, but the tears wouldn't stop coming. I stayed with him for a while longer when it looked like he was falling asleep. I stayed with him for a little longer, then decided to head up when he was mumbling things. 
 
"Everyone has a story," he quietly said. "I'd like to hear yours one day...Woohyun."
 
I gripped onto the door knob and nodded. 
 
"I'll tell you all who I really am," I said and closed the door behind me, getting the tea ready for Mrs. Park. 
 
3rd Person POV~
 
The sun had fallen and Myungsoo was still working with all the energy he had left. He rubbed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, letting out a long sigh. He the TV just so it would make him stay awake for another hour or so. He continued to work when he heard his father's name on the news. He widened his eyes and looked at the TV to see his father being carried out on a stretcher with a mask over his mouth. 
 
"Not too long ago, a maid had found Mr. Nam laying unconscious on the floor of his room. No one was home to assist him. We still don't know what the cause of this was, but he is being rushed to the hospital," a reporter said and Myungsoo immediately ran out of the office to the hospital. 
 
Woohyun had finished Mrs. Park tea and headed out to the living room, where the family was watching TV. He walked into the living room when he was welcomed by a tense atmosphere. He looked at them when a reporter said something that caught Woohyun's attention. 
 
"Mr. Nam found unconscious in his room and immediately rushed to the hospital," the reporter said. Woohyun widened his eyes and dropped the cup, having the hot tea spill everywhere. 
 
"Abeoji," he whispered and held in his emotions from having it come out in front of the family. 
 
"We have to go see him," Mr. Park said and got up with his wife. "Haneul, stay with Minah. Luhan, you come with us."
 
They were getting their stuff when Woohyun grabbed Mr. Park's hand. 
 
"Please, take me with you," he said as Mr. Park just looked at him. "I-I'll drive you there."
 
He nodded and so Woohyun got the car ready. Please don't let it be something serious. Please be alright abeoji.