Chapter 4

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

Woohyun's POV~
 
I was sitting at the dining table on the phone with all these people about the party. I still didn't know what the party was about though, but I wasn't curious. Madam came into the dining hall and crossed her arms. 
 
"Woohyun, go with my sons for their fitting," she said and just left like that. After the last person to invite, I hung up the phone and left the house to see all of them standing there. They were laughing and having a good time while I felt the jealousy rise, wanting to join in on their conversation. 
 
"Oh, you're here. Well hurry and get the car. We can't stand like this all day," Sunggyu said, shooing me to fetch the car. I went to the back where the limo was and told the driver to get them at the front. One by one they got in and we drove off. 
 
"Woohyun," Sungyeol said as I turned to face him. 
 
"Yes young master?" I asked as he handed me a glass of wine. 
 
"Drink up, it'll be a long day," he said with a smile. I eyed him, then looked at the glass of wine I was holding. "Drink it."
 
He was pretty much demanding me to do it, so I sipped it and a bitter taste hit my taste buds. I coughed and made a face as they laughed. 
 
"This idiot. I can't believe he drunk it!!" Dongwoo laughed while slapping his lap. 
 
"Uwah, I thought you were smarter than that Woohyun-ssi," Sungyeol laughed as I set the glass aside. "Wait, wait, wait. What do you think you're doing? You have to drink it all."
 
"I'd prefer not to," I said as his eyes darkened. 
 
"Do it," he demanded. I looked at the glass of wine mixed with whatever he put in and reached for it when someone else took it from me. I looked up and saw that it was Myungsoo. 
 
"Sungyeol-ah, why don't you drink it? Why don't we all have a sip?" he asked, eyeing the wine then looked at Sungyeol with a smirk. "Shall we?"
 
"H-hyung, why don't we just have Woohyun drink it all?" Sungyeol asked with a gulp. Myungsoo tightened his grip on the glass cup and gave Sungyeol his death glare. 
 
"Now lets not be selfish here," he said and handed Sungyeol the glass of wine. "Drink up, dongsaeng."
 
Sungyeol gulped at the glass and slowly lifted it up to his lips, but it wasn't right to see him drink it, so I took the glass from him and drunk it all. 
 
"W-Woohyun," Sungyeol blinked then looked at his empty hand. I set the empty glass aside and sighed. 
 
"You know, it's actually pretty good once you take a sip of it. What did you put in there?" I asked as he furrowed his eyebrows. 
 
"Uhhh, vinegar," he said. 
 
"Oh, maybe I should start putting more vinegar into my drinks," I said with an uneasy laugh with them staring at me like I've gone crazy. 
 
"You've got it be kidding me," Sungjong scoffed and looked out the window. 
 
"That's just gross, but it does suit you," Hoya said with a light scoff and shook his head. I lightly smiled at them and played with my fingers. I could feel someone watching me and the only person who gives off that vibe is Myungsoo. I met eyes with him and he showed now expression, what so ever. I didn't know what he was thinking, but it wasn't good. 
 
"We're here young masters," the driver said and we all got out the car and into the shop. 
 
"Oh~ the Nam resident is here~" the tailor said with a smile. He looked awfully familiar to me, but I couldn't remember where. His actions were girl like and he examined Myungsoo and them; like very closely for every detail. Maybe even a bit too close. He turned to me and blinked. 
 
"Have we met before?" he asked as I shook my head. "I'm sure we have. You look really familiar and a face like yours can never be forgotten."
 
"Tch, his face is eye-soaring," Sungjong said and rolled his eyes. "Where's my suit?"
 
"Oh~ it's in the back. I'll go fetch them," the tailor said then looked at me. "I'm sure we've met before, but we'll discuss it later."
 
Just after a few minutes, he came back with their suits and handed each of them their suits. 
 
"And here's yours," the tailor said, handing Myungsoo his. The tailor looked and me and tilted his head. "Am I missing yours?"
 
"Oh no, I didn't get a suit," I said with a warm smile as he narrowed his eyes at me. 
 
"A handsome guy like you can't go to a party looking ugly and poor," he said. I scratched my head and smiled. 
 
"I'm just their maid and I'm not invited either," I said and went to sit down at a chair. He followed and sat across me. 
 
"But your too handsome to be a maid," he said tilting his head to examine me. "Are you lying to me? No one lies to the ultimate Key."
 
"Key?" I asked as he nodded. 
 
"Short for KiBum," he said with a smile. "But anyways...what were we talking about?"
 
"Uh, nothing," I said and crossed my legs, waiting for the others. 
 
"Huh," he said as I turned to him. "Now I remember you. You were that guy I helped at the comic book store."
 
"Excuse me?" I asked as he clapped his hands once. 
 
"Just a few days ago, you were looking for a book!" he said as I started to remember. 
 
"Oh...well I guess we meet again," I said and turned away. He then started talking non-stop about random things and Sunggyu was the first to come out with his suit on. Like every other suit, it was just black. 
 
"Wow! You look fantastic!" Kay shouted with an approving nod. "Turn around for me."
 
Sunggyu did so and the next one to come out was Dongwoo. His was gray, but nothing significant. Then they all came out one by one, wearing the exact same thing except for Myungsoo. His suit was white, almost like a prince. 
 
"Why does he get a white suit?" Sungyeol asked jealous. 
 
"Man, we look like we're going to a funeral," Hoya said, tugging at his jacket. 
 
"You guys look amazing," Key said and observed them from to toe. After a few more adjustments, we headed back home. 
 
"What's with this party anyways? What's the main reason for it?" Dongwoo asked while playing with his stuffed animal. 
 
"I don't know either, but I heard it was a masquerade party," Sunggyu said, fixing his hair with his small portable mirror. 
 
"Maybe it has to do with Myungsoo since he's the only one wearing white," Sungjong said, still jealous he wasn't the one to stand out in the party. 
 
"Or maybe I'm just special," Myungsoo said with a smirk. 
 
"As usual, always talking high about himself," Sungyeol muttered, annoyed. We reached home and they all got out of the car, leaving their suits behind. I carried them all back into the house and set them on the couch. 
 
"Yah! You'll wrinkle them if you just throw them like that!" I heard Madam's voice from the top of the stairs. I sighed and picked then all up and walked up the stairs past her. "Are you making that kind of face right now?"
 
"What face?" I asked as she narrowed her eyes at me. 
 
"The face where...where..." she didn't know how to describe it, so she just glared at me. "Don't you dare give me a face again or else I'll fire you."
 
"I'm sorry. I won't do it again Madam," I said and bowed to her. I knocked on each one of their doors and handed them their suits, but like me, the threw it onto their bed. 
 
"You'll wrinkle it Hoya-ssi," I said as he looked at the suit and scoffed. 
 
"That's why there's you around to iron it," he said and slammed his door shut on me. The day went on with ordering the food for tomorrow's banquet and with decorating the whole house all by myself. Halmeoni insisted on helping, but I refused to let her work. I had excused the other maids and butlers from helping me, since I was the only one told to do this. I didn't want to burden them, since they were all older than me. 
 
"Are you sure you can do this all by yourself Woohyun?" Butler Choi said as I smiled and nodded. 
 
"Don't worry about me. I'll finish it all today," I said and continued to decorate the wall. 
 
"You're Master Nam's son. Why should you be doing this?" a maid said to me with pity. "Ever since he married that women, he's become a whitewashed-"
 
"Don't go there Minjung," Butler Choi said and looked at me. "If you need any help then please do call us. Don't think you're burdening us because we feel like we're a burden to you."
 
"It's okay, just go home and rest," I said and bowed to them. I deeply exhaled and continued to decorate the main part of the house for another hour or 2. I then felt my eyelids slowly drop as I was cutting up stars to put on the wall. 
 
"Maybe I could sleep for a bit then continue," I yawned and laid on the couch, closing my eyes. 
 
----------
 
"Woohyun!" Madam's voice shouted, waking me up. I shot my eyes opened and gasped. 
 
"I forgot to wake up," I firmly whispered to myself. "Aish, I'm going to be dead!!!"
 
I stood up and rounded my eyes to see the whole place decorated. The coffee table was clean too with no cut up stars or tape, it was spotless. All the mess I made with the decoration equipment a were gone too. 
 
"Woohyun!" Madam shouted again from the kitchen. 
 
"Coming!" I said and ran to the kitchen to see all the food I order last night, set up on the long dining table. 
 
"Please put them on our expensive trays and set them on the table you set up in the ballroom. 
 
"I didn't set up any tables in the ballroom," I said as she looked at me, eyeing me. 
 
"What are you taking about, I was just in there and all the tables were set up with your little origami napkins on each plate," she said then observed the food. "You did everything I asked for right?"
 
"Yes ma'am," I said as she nodded in approval. 
 
"Good, now set them up in the ballroom and once you're done, go help my sons out with their suits," she said and walked away. I looked at all the tray of food and scratched my head when halmeoni walked in. 
 
"Halmeoni," I said as she turned around. "Did you perhaps finish up the decorating?"
 
She smiled and I knew it was her. "Halmeoni, why didn't you just wake me up?"
 
"You looked exhausted, so I decided to decorate the rest," she said as I felt guilty for not waking myself up. "I didn't do it all alone though."
 
"Really?" I asked as she nodded. "Who else helped you?"
 
"One of the young masters did," she said and left the kitchen to her cleaning duties. I tilted my head to think who among those 6 useless guys would have helped halmeoni. 
 
"Oh, Woohyun, you're awake," Myungsoo said coming into the kitchen. "I see the food arrived."
 
"Yeah..." I said and searched for the trays Madam asked for. 
 
"Check in the storage room, that's where her precious dishes are," he said and walked away with a glass of water and appa's medicine. I watched him leave then checked in the storage room and found them. I went back to the kitchen, putting the food in those trays when Madam came back. She screamed and pushed me aside. 
 
"What the hell are you doing?!?! These are my precious trays from China!!! I hid them for a reason!" she screamed as I gulped. "Tell me. What were you doing with them?!"
 
"You said to use the trays-"
 
"Not these!!!" she shouted, panicking. 
 
"Umma! What's wrong?" Dongwoo asked coming in with the rest of them. He saw the trays and gasped. "Aren't these your trays from China?"
 
She was now crying, faking it most likely and turned to look at me. Dongwoo followed her gaze and his eyes darkened. He grabbed my collar and pushed me up against the wall. 
 
"What the hell were you think?" he asked in a low, husky voice. 
 
"I-I-"
 
"I told him to use them," Myungsoo said coming into the kitchen, setting the glass cup into the sink like nothing happened. 
 
"You did?" Dongwoo asked, slowly releasing me. Myungsoo nodded and pulled Dongwoo's hands off me. 
 
"I told him to use them, so we can present ourself a bit better to our guest by showing off these trays from China," he lied as I looked at their faces, buying it. 
 
"Really?" Madam asked with her voice bright and up lifting. She wasn't crying anymore and she hugged Myungsoo. "Oh my smart boy~ why didn't I think of that."
 
"No need to praise me, it was also Woohyun's idea," he then said as I stood frozen in my place. 
 
"Woohyun?" Madam asked, her voice in disbelief. "He came up with this idea?"
 
Myungsoo sighed and gently moved his mother aside. "Eomeoni, think about it. A man like him who decorated this whole place beautifully himself used his brain to use something like those trays will show the good side of us."
 
Madam looked at me and narrowed her eyes, observing me. "I guess so..."
 
"Now lets just let this situation slide by and move onto putting you dress on and see how it looks on you," Myungsoo said as Madam nodded, happily. By that time, Dongwoo and them had left once Myungsoo started sweet talking to Madam. Madam had left too, to try on the dress while it was just Myungsoo and I left. 
 
"There's no need to thank me," he then said as I blinked at him. 
 
"Excuse me?" I asked as he smirked. 
 
"Of course, a slave like you wouldn't have a brain like me to know what I'm even talking about," he said and walked out to the hallway, then came back. "One last thing, the table closest to the door is unstable, so I suggest you get that fixed before setting it up with loads of food. Also, the microphone needs to new batteries, it's dying down."
 
"Got it," I said and bowed to him. I now knew who it was that had helped halmeoni too, finishing up the decorations. I had one last thing to do before I went to my bedroom in the basement, and that was to help my father into his suit. I went into his room and saw him trying to put the suit on himself. 
 
Lately, his health hasn't been well and no one in the family really cared for him except for Myungsoo and I, but abeoji never wanted me to help him; it was always Myungsoo. 
 
"Abeoji, let me help you with your suit," I said walking into his room as he turned around, tying his tie. 
 
"Great Myungsoo, you can-" he stopped talking once he noticed it was me. I swallowed hard and faintly smiled. 
 
"I'll help you iron your suit then fix your tie," I softly said and took his suit to his bathroom, where the ironing board was. I finished and went back to his room to see him still trying to fix his tie. I hung his suit and grabbed the tie from him. 
 
"I guess I'm too old now to even fix my own tie," he quietly chuckled as I gave him a slight smile. I finished within seconds and walked to his door. "Woohyun-ah..."
 
I stopped and waited for him to continue. "Can you get Myungsoo for me?"
 
My heart squeezed tightly from his request, but the only thing I could do was say yes. Without having to ask for Myungsoo, he had come up on his own. We both walked past each other when he grabbed my arm. 
 
"Umma told you right?" he asked. "To not come to the party?"
 
"I've been informed already, don't worry about it," I said and shoved his hand away. 
 
"Come," he said as I turned around, surprised. "It is a masquerade party after all. She won't notice you're there."
 
I smirked and scoffed, "And what makes you think I'll just secretly come in? I don't want to waste my precious dungeon time."
 
I started to walk away when he said my name. "Woohyun, I left my suit in your room. I'll be wearing something different tonight, so you keep the white suit. White suits you well too."
 
"Thanks, but no thanks," I said and walked down the stairs, then down to the basement, or as I call it...home.
 
 It wasn't much, but it felt like home. The walls weren't really walls, just like a underground prison, it was made of rock. Cold, hard rock. My bed was just a ripped up mattress and my blanket, well, it only covered half my body. Summer isn't as bad as winter, but halmeoni would bring in some extra blankets to keep me alive during the winter, since I had to heater in my room. No outlet in general. I saw Myungsoo's white suit placed on my bed with a note on it. 
 
I couldn't wear this to the party, so I thought you'd keep it. -Myungsoo
 
P.S. It ripped when I was washing it in the washing machine. 
 
I knew why he had given it to me. It was ripped up and it didn't look as good as it did when he bought it. I sighed and grabbed my sewing kit, fixing it myself. 
 
"Maybe attending the party wouldn't hurt," I softly said and looked at the suit in front of me.