Chapter 26

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

Myungsoo's POV~
 
"Abeoji, are you ready to go? Your doctors appointment's at 10," I said walking into his room. He was sitting at the edge of his bed, just staring at the carpet floor. "Abeoji."
 
He looked up startled and slightly smiled. He got up and grabbed his cane, since his leg was becoming weaker. I walked up to him and supported him. 
 
"I'm fine Myungsoo, I can walk by myself," he said, pulling my hands off his arm. 
 
"Abeoji, your leg isn't strong enough and that cane isn't going to help you," I said and helped him again. We got to the stairs and one step at a time, we got to the bottom. "Wait here while I go get the car. I'll be back."
 
He nodded and so I walked out to get the car. Driving it up to the front, abeoji was already waiting at the door. I walked around the car and opened the passenger door, helping him get in. 
 
"Abeoji, after the appointment I'll buy lunch then drop you off at home while I take care of your work," I said, putting the car in drive. 
 
"I can do my work today," he said, but I refused. 
 
"Your health isn't any good. You should rest for today and I'll finish everything up," I said, turning at a corner. 
 
"You're starting to take responsibilities over the companies," he said like a proud father. "I knew your mother and I could rely on you."
 
I smiled and looked at him, replying back, "I'm glad you two chose me, although there was a better candidate than me."
 
He just looked at me and I knew it pained him to think of Woohyun. I turned back to face the road and getting through traffic safely, we arrived at the hospital. 
 
Abeoji and I both walked into the hospital and checked in. We then waited until his name was called. 
 
"Would you like me to accompany you?" I asked, getting up. He shook his hand and gestured me to sit back down. "Well then I'll be waiting here for you."
 
I waited for abeoji for 17 minutes now and he hasn't come back yet. I checked my watch and kept looking at his room door, wondering what was going on. It wasn't long when he came out with the doctor and so I stood up to hear the results. 
 
"So, how's my father?" I asked, looking at the doctor then to abeoji. 
 
"His health isn't getting any better. It's best if you let him rest and you take care of all of his work from now on," the doctor said. He then handed me a paper bag. "Make sure he takes his medications after every meal."
 
"I will," I said and placed my hand behind my father's back, leading him down the hallway when the doctor tapped my back. 
 
"I would like to talk to you privately," he said as I looked at abeoji. 
 
"I'll wait for you here," abeoji said and sat down in a chair against the wall. 
 
"I'll be back soon," I said and followed the doctor into his office. I sat down across from him as he sat in his chair. 
 
"I want to ask you, is there something that's been bothering your father? I've asked him, but he won't tell me anything so I thought I'd ask you," he said as I furrowed my eyebrows. 
 
"Nothing that I know of," I replied. The doctor leaned back in his chair and scratched his chin. 
 
"It seems like your father is missing something. Although your father is weak, this missing piece is making him weaker and so his health is decreasing faster," the doctor said. "I'm no therapist, but I for sure can tell you that his heart is in pain. Not physically, but emotionally."
 
"Is that so?" I asked him as he nodded. "But what can I do?"
 
"When was the last time your father had actually smiled?" he asked, ignoring my question. I just shrugged and so he continued, "The only thing you can do is find that thing he's missing, then he'll be able to smile again and his heart will be healed."
 
"I'll find it," I said and stood up. "I guess this ends our discussion. Thank you for today."
 
He nodded and so I bowed to him and left his room. I looked at abeoji as he was still sitting where I had left him. He looked at me and turned away, like he was in deep thoughts that was disrupted by my sudden appearance. 
 
"Abeoji, let's go out for lunch," I said and helped him up. We both walked out of the hospital and got in the car. 
 
"What did the two of you talk about?" abeoji asked as I drove to a nearby restaurant. 
 
"We talked about your health, that's all," I said, stopping at a red light. It was quiet and I glanced at him as he was looking out the window. "Abeoji...do you miss him?"
 
"No, I don't," he said straightforward and sighed. "Just send me home. I don't feel hungry today."
 
"Okay, but make sure to eat today," I said and turned the car around, back home.