Chapter 34

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

3rd Person POV~
 
The Park family came home later that night while Woohyun was just putting Minah to bed. He tucked her in and kissed her goodbye, then left her room. He heard their voices at the bottom stairs. 
 
"Welcome back," Woohyun said coming down the stairs. "How's Mr. Nam?"
 
"He's fine," Mr. Park said with a warm smile. "But his health still isn't improving."
 
"Is that so?" Woohyun softly asked and hung his head. 
 
"Is Minah asleep?" Mrs. Park asked as Woohyun nodded. 
 
"I just put her to sleep," he said and looked at Haneul, who was smiling at him. He couldn't help, but smile back at her. 
 
"Thank you for watching over Minah for tonight Woohyun," Mrs. Park said. 
 
"Any time," he said and bowed to her and Mr. Park, who walked away to their bedrooms. Luhan rubbed his eyes and yawned. 
 
"Wow, today really has been a long day," he said and stretched his arms up. "I'm heading to bed. I'll see you two in the morning."
 
They nodded and now was left alone. Woohyun looked at Haneul and she walked past him. 
 
"You're heading to bed too?" he asked as she nodded. 
 
"I do have school tomorrow," she said. "Why? Did you want me to stay up with you?"
 
"As much as I'd like that, I'd much rather prefer you get your sleep so that when you wake up you'll look more beautiful," he said with a warm smile as her heart was pounding again. 
 
"You really have to stop saying those things," she softly said. "You'll make me go crazy."
 
Woohyun just smiled and said, "Go to bed Haneul."
 
She nodded and headed up the stairs as Sungsoo was walking towards him from the dining room hallway. 
 
"Do they know you're going to see your father?" he asked Woohyun. He shook his head and looked at Sungsoo. 
 
"Like you said, I'll tell them soon but not now. I can't bare to keep a secret like this from them for long," he said and stuck his hands in his front pockets. 
 
"Are you going to tell them the secret of your father being in the hospital or that your father is Mr. Nam?" Sungsoo asked as Woohyun widened his eyes. 
 
"How'd you-"
 
"After what happened with Myugsoo coming over and everything, I did some thinking alone in the kitchen and it made sense to me that your father is Mr. Nam and Myungsoo's your brother," Sungsoo said. Woohyun just nodded and looked at the clock that read 8:29PM. 
 
"Myungsoo isn't my brother, he's my step brother," Woohyun said with a soft smile. 
 
"Stepbrother, half brother or whatever, he's still your brother," Sungsoo said and patted Woohyun's back. "He should be coming now to pick you up too."
 
"I'll be going by myself," he said and looked at Sungsoo. "So tell Myungsoo to just go back home."
 
"Are you sure you could face your father alone?" he asked as Woohyun nodded. 
 
"What's their to be afraid of my father for?" he asked and grabbed the car keys from the key holder. "I'll be going now. If any of the family wakes up and asks where I'm at, just tell them I'm out with some friends."
 
"I can't lie to them," Sungsoo softly said as Woohyun gently smiled. 
 
"I'm sorry I'm making you do such a thing, but please just this once," he said. Sungsoo sighed and nodded. 
 
"Just go. Your father really needs you," he said and so Woohyun walked out of the house and got into his car, driving off to the hospital. 
 
Sungsoo sighed once again and turned around, walking away back to the hallway when he heard the door shut. He turned back around and saw no one. 
 
"I must be imagining things. I gotta lay off on the sweets at night," he said, rubbing his head and entered the kitchen to wait for Myungsoo.
 
Woohyun'a POV~
 
I got to the hospital and headed up to abeoji's room when a nurse stopped me. 
 
"I'm sorry but visiting time is over," she said to me. 
 
"I have to see my father," I said and walked past her when she grabbed my sleeve. 
 
"I'm sure you do, but you ca-"
 
"My name is Nam Woohyun and I'm here to see my father," I said again, but a bit more firm. 
 
"Oh, you're with the Nam family," she said and released my sleeve. "You may go and visit your father, but be quiet, there are patients sleeping now."
 
"I understand," I said and bowed to her, then walked away. 
 
I entered abeoji's room and saw him sitting up while watching some TV. 
 
"Why aren't you asleep?" I asked as my father looked at me with wide eyes. 
 
"W-Woohyun," he said with tears forming in his eyes. "You really came."
 
"Of course I would," I said and walked up to him, hugging him. "But why are you still up?"
 
"Myungsoo said he'd come bring you and so I couldn't sleep. I wanted to wait for you," he said as I hugged him a bit tighter to hold in my tears. "I'm so happy to see you."
 
"Me too," I said and released the hug to see him crying. "Abeoji?"
 
"I'm sorry. Like I said, I'm just so happy to see you again," abeoji said and wiped his tears away. "It's quite embarrassing."
 
"It's not at all," I said and also wiped my father's tears. "There's nothing wrong with expressing your happiness, so cry all you want."
 
After settling down, I sat with my father watching the news. 
 
"Where is Myungsoo?" my father asked, making my heart squeeze a bit. 
 
"He didn't come. I came by myself," I said and smiled. "I didn't need him here...did Madam Nam or the others visit you?"
 
"None of them did," he said with a warm smile. "They must be very busy."
 
"Maybe," I said playing along with him. "But I'm sure they'll come visit soon."
 
"That's not necessary. All I need is you," he said and brushed my hair back. "As long as you're with me, it makes me happy."
 
I faintly smiled and looked away, down to the ground. Honestly, I didn't want to see my father again after today. 
 
"You will return home, right?" he asked as I shook my head. "Huh? Why not?"
 
"After I earn enough money then I'll be moving out and start living on my own," I said as he nodded. 
 
"Of course, because you're not a child anymore," he said and patted my back. "I'd love to have you back home though."
 
"It's fine, you have Myungsoo with you," I said with bitterness in my voice. "He'll take care of you."
 
"I know, but he can't take care of me all the time. As you know, he is getting married and soon he'll have a family of his own. He can't only focus on me," he said as I clenched my fist. "I don't want to be a bother to Haneul either."
 
"She wouldn't mind," I said. "She loves you like how she loves her father. She'd do anything for you abeoji, I know it."
 
"Oh~ you've met her?" he asked as my heart pounded. 
 
"Uh, yeah. I got to meet her," I said and he smiled. 
 
"Although she may take care of me, I don't want to burden her," he said with a sigh. 
 
"You won't be a burden to her," I quietly said and looked at my watch. "Well, I've got to get going. I have to meet up with some friends."
 
He looked at me with sad eyes, but I turned away not wanting to meet them. 
 
"I see," he softly said. "You can go. I'll just see you again tomorrow...I will see you again, right?"
 
"We'll have to see. I'm a busy body myself," I said and hugged him. "Get some rest and get better abeoji."
 
"I will because of you," he said and I released the hug. I helped tuck him in and kissed his forehead. "I hope you'll come again tomorrow or anytime soon."
 
I nodded and left his room, quietly shutting his door shut. I started down the hallway when I turned the corner, bumping into someone. I looked up and swallowed hard. 
 
"Myungsoo," I said as he pushed himself off the wall. "Did you hear from Sungsoo?"
 
"No, I didn't even go to the Park's house because I knew you'd come by yourself," he said and looked at me with his eyes, making my body cold. "How did it go?"
 
"It was good, but I didn't know he'd look so...different," I said with a sigh. "Why didn't you tell me? He's so pale and he's gotten skinner."
 
"It was better for you to see it," he said and walked closer to me. "Are you going to see him from now on?"
 
I deeply exhaled at the question and answered, "No."
 
He widened his eyes and grabbed my shirt's collar, startling me. He pushed me up against the wall and glared at me. 
 
"What? You're not going to see him again?" he asked as I tried to pull his hands off of me. 
 
"Please let me go Myungsoo-ssi, there are patients peacefully sleeping," I said as he slowly released me. I brushed myself off and looked at him. "I only came today because you asked me to. One night is good enough-"
 
"No it's not!" he shouted, his voice echoing in the empty, dark hallway. His gaze was strong and sincere. "One night is not good enough. Not enough to fix him."
 
"Myungsoo-ssi, please lower your voice," I said and walked away. He followed along, all the way until we were out of the hospital when he grabbed my wrist, pulling me face him. 
 
"Woohyun, no...hyung," he said as I felt my heart squeeze at the word again. "You need to see him daily."
 
I didn't say anything when I saw a muscle move at his jawline. He release my wrist and deeply exhaled. 
 
"I'll do anything for you to see abeoji everyday, until his health gets back on track," he said as I looked away from his gaze. "I'll even kneel down and beg if I have to."
 
"You don't have to go that far," I said and bowed to him. "I'll be taking my leave now Myungsoo-ssi."
 
"Hyung," he said as I walked away. "Hyung!"
 
I continued to walk away with him shouting my "hyung" over and over again.
 
"It's all your fault that he's suffering!" he then shouted, making me stop in my track. I turned around and those tears of his were now visible. "It's because of you that he's suffering day and night! Do you not know how hard he tried to make himself to believe that he doesn't need you? That he doesn't want to see you?!"
 
I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and clenched my fist. He let his tears freely fall and looked away for a bit to take a breath. 
 
"He's not the only one suffering hyung," Myungsoo quietly said and looked back at me. "I am too. It's because of you that I'm suffering too!"
 
"What have I done to make you suffer?" I asked, loud enough for him to hear. 
 
"Ever since you left, I had to learn everything myself! I even learned how to tie my own tie! I even learned how to take responsibilities in the house because you were gone!" he shouted at me. "Because abeoji is suffering, I too am suffering along with him! For him!"
 
"I'm sorry Myungsoo-ssi," I said and bowed to him again, walking away. 
 
"Do you see me as a joke?!" he said again. "Fine then! Leave! That's what you're best at Woohyun!"
 
I endured it a bit longer when someone popped out from the bushes, making me widen my eyes. 
 
"Why are you here? What's the relationship between you two?" Luhan asked, furrowing his eyebrows. My heart was pounding against my chest, nervous as I looked back at Myungsoo, who looked away with wide eyes as well. "Say something hyung because you can't make up any excuses anymore while I'm here."