Chapter 37

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

Woohyun's POV~
 
I was peacefully sleeping when someone kept poking my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes and squinted to see the face clear up. Not too surprised to see that it was Luhan. 
 
"Hyung, you said you were going to visit your dad today," he said with those innocent deer eyes of his. I rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock. 
 
"That's right," I said and sat up in my bed. "Visiting time will be over soon too, so might as well go now."
 
"Visiting time is never over if it's the Nam family," he said and stood up from kneeling down next to my bed. I stretched my arms up and thought about two people. 
 
"By the way, where's Haneul and Myungsoo?" I asked, getting out of bed. Luhan stopped at my door and looked at me. 
 
"Haneul's studying and Myungsoo went back to work," he said as I felt my heart lift up a bit. "Why?"
 
"I was just wondering," I said and headed to the bathroom to wash up. After that I headed down the stairs to see Mr. and Mrs. Park sitting in the living room with Minah. 
 
"Oppa~," she chimed and ran up to me. I picked her up and smiled.
 
"I only slept for 3 hours and it feels like I haven't seen you in forever," I said pressing my nose against her soft cheek. 
 
"I was so bored without you while you were sleeping. Luhan wouldn't dress up for me and Haneul was too busy studying. I wanted to wake you up, but Haneul told me not to," Minah said with a pout. "So I played by myself while umma and appa watched me."
 
"I'm sorry. I'll play with you again next time," I said and set her down. I then looked at her parents and approached them. "Mr. and Mrs. Park, I'm go-"
 
"We're going to hang out with Kris and them," Luhan said putting on his jacket while coming down the stairs. 
 
"Are you guys?" Mr. Park as I looked at Luhan, who nodded. "Okay then. Don't come home too late."
 
"We'll see," he said with a grin and looked at me. "Hyung, let's go."
 
I just stared at him as he gestured me to play along with him. 
 
"Oh, yeah," I said and looked at his parents then bowed. "We're going now."
 
"Have fun you two," Mrs. Park said as we were walking out. 
 
"Why did you lie to them?" I asked Luhan once we got to the car. 
 
"You'd lie anyways," he said and sat in the passengers seat. 
 
"You want me to drive?" I asked him as he nodded and shut the door. I shook my head and whispered, "You really are the lazy type."
 
I walked around the driver's seat and got in. 
 
"So, you're coming along with me to see abeoji?" I asked, driving out of the driveway. 
 
"Of course not, I don't want to be an outsider," he said. "I'll be walking around the area eating street foods. Just call me when you're done."
 
"Wanna buy me some once you get back?" I asked as he laughed, then held his hand out. 
 
"I was gonna ask you for money so I could buy the food," he said. I snickered and held his hand that was extended for money. 
 
"I'd rather give you my hand than money," I said as he pulled his hand away and pouted. 
 
"Then how am I suppose to eat with no money?" he asked and looked out the window. " Oh~ I hide money in this car."
 
He reached under his seat and pulled out some money that made his face glow of happiness. 
 
"Ha, I knew they'd still be here," he said and I laughed. "Don't think of stealing the rest of the money under my seat."
 
"You really are a weird kid," I said and reached the hospital. I put the car in park and we both got out. 
 
"I'll see you then," he said and walked away as I just watched him leave. Once he disappeared, I walked into the hospital heading up to abeoji's room. 
 
"Sir, you can't be visiting at this ti-"
 
"I am the son of Nam Bumsoo," I said to the nurse and walked away. She didn't say anything and continued to do what she was doing. "Does the Nam name really have that much significance?"
 
I stood in front of abeoji's room and deeply exhaled before entering. He was watching some TV by himself. 
 
"Abeoji," I said walking further into the room. He looked at me and rounded his eyes. 
 
"Woohyun, you came back," he said with a smile. I smiled back and took a seat next to his bed. "I thought I'd never see you again."
 
"I was busy so I didn't have the time to come back," I lied and we sat there in silence. He looked down at my hands. 
 
"What happened to the bracelet your mother left you?" he asked as my heart pounded against my chest. 
 
"T-the bracelet?" I asked as he nodded. "I...I forgot it at the house...."
 
"I see," he responded and sighed. "I'd like you to wear it again. It's something your mother cherished and saved for you."
 
"I know," I said with the feeling of guilt rising knowing I had lost it. "I'll cherish it like she did."
 
He nodded and we sat in silence again. 
 
"Abeoji, have any of them come to visit other than Myungsoo?" I asked him. 
 
"None of them have, not even your mother," he said as I nodded. "Myungsoo has been with me the whole time, never has he even gone home since I've been hospitalized."
 
"Really? Why?" I asked as he sighed. 
 
"He says it doesn't feel right to go back. If he was to be alone with those people, he'd feel uncomfortable...something like that," abeoji said. "It looks like he's on bad terms with his brothers and mother."
 
"Why is that?" I then asked him. 
 
"He said something about how heartless they are. That day I collapsed, no one was home at the time but the maids, which one had found me. Myungsoo had told them to watch over me, but they disobeyed him and so he got angry at them," he said. "So he yelled at them that they weren't right for this family."
 
"He actually said that?" I questioned as he nodded.
 
"Ever since you left, Myungsoo has been acting different. Although he wasn't already mature back then, he's maturing even more now," he said with a smile. "Did you know that he even went out to look for you when he found out you left."
 
I was shocked to hear that; Myungsoo actually looking for me.
 
"He even told his brothers to help him look for you," abeoji continued. "He was really worried, but of course he didn't show it."
 
"I never knew," I softly said as he nodded. 
 
"No one did," he said and smiled at me. "Myungsoo looks up to you more than he does with his real brothers. He just can't seem to find himself being close to you because of the way he treated you along with the others. He thought you'd hate him, so he never approached you as a younger brother."
 
"And why are you telling me this?" I asked my father. "I didn't need to know any of this because I-"
 
"Please think of him as your brother not as your Young Master," he said cutting me off. "Every time I heard you say Young Master to every one of them, it broke my heart. Myungsoo had told me that he hated it too and just wanted you to call him Myungsoo."
 
"Abeoji, how do you expect me to think of him as my brother? We have no sort of connection and-"
 
"Please Woohyun-ah," abeoji softly said. "Take care of Myungsoo for me."
 
"Bwoh? For you?" I asked feeling anger rise up. I then scoffed and said, "Of course, you love him more than you do with me. He's everything to you that's why you want me to take care of him."
 
"It's not like tha-"
 
"Then what is it?!" I shouted. "Do you think I'd really care for those selfish people even if you or Myungsoo asked me to? I've suffered enough trying to be a brother to them and a son to you, but you all lost your chance!"
 
"Woohyun-ah, I only ask you to do this because I...I don't have much time on my hands," he said with soft eyes. Seeing those eyes, my heart slowly settled down. 
 
"Abeoji, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout so suddenly," I said feeling guilty and horrible. "And don't say something so scary like that. You'll be fine."
 
His eyes began to water and he held my hands. 
 
"I won't force you to make yourself love him as a brother, but look after him," he softly said as I sighed. 
 
"Such a request like this isn't impossible, but it'll take time," I said and smiled. "But if he still doesn't show his respect or no appreciation towards me then I'll give up on trying."
 
He smiled and his eyes brightened up. He then pulled me in a hug and cried. I don't understand why I even agreed to do something like this. Myungsoo doesn't mean anything to me, but for the sake of my father, I'll do it. 
 
"Thank you Woohyun-ah," he said and I nodded. 
 
"It's fine. You can always count on me," I said and released the hug. "I'll stay until you fall asleep. I have things to do tomorrow, so I won't be able to stay for the night."
 
"That's fine as long as I got to see you again," he said and laid in the bed. I turned off the TV and sat there with him as he closed his eyes and slept. 
 
After a few more minutes of staying with my father until I heard his soft snores, I left to meet up with Luhan at the front. He waved and walked up to me. 
 
"You took quite a long time, I was beginning to think about taking a cab home," he said handing me a bag of food. "The food may not be warm anymore."
 
I didn't respond to anything he was saying to me and he seemed to have noticed. 
 
"Hyung, are you okay? Did something happen? You're awfully quiet today," he said as I just looked at him and we entered the car. "Are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong?"
 
"It's not you Luhan-"
 
"Then why are you ignoring me? Jeez, I feel like a girlfriend being ignored by the boyfriend," he said and crossed his arms. I tried to keep in my laugh, but that didn't work so I bursted out laughing. He glared at me and I ruffled his hair. 
 
"You're so funny Luhan," I said and drove off. 
 
"So, why are you in such a daze?" he asked again. 
 
"I was just thinking about some stuff," I said and he nodded. He didn't ask why, but I had to let it out. "Abeoji asked me to take care of Myungsoo...to treat him like a brother."
 
"How nice," Luhan said with an uninterested tone. I glanced at him as he was eating ice cream. 
 
"What do you think I should do?" I asked him. 
 
"Do what your father says. As long as it makes him happy then you'll end up being happy," he said. "Don't you wish to be happy?"
 
"I do, but not like this," I said as he nodded. 
 
"I wouldn't either if I was to be nice to Myungsoo and pretend like he was my brother," Luhan said as I stopped at a red light. "But again, if it makes abeoji happy then that's all that matters. It's for him and his health, even if you're gonna hate it you'll be able to see abeoji smile and be happy."
 
I sighed and just stared at the light when it turned green. I pressed on the gas and continued to concentrate on the road. We then got home and stepped out of the car, heading towards the house when Luhan grabbed my wrist. 
 
"About earlier, I lied to you that Haneul was studying. She's actually with Myungsoo and it looks like she's not back yet," Luhan said as I widened my eyes. 
 
"Why didn't you tell me?!" I asked to have him grin at me. 
 
"I lied again cause I just wanted to see your reaction," he said and skipped inside. I scoffed in disbelief and chuckled to myself following in behind. 
 
"I know now," Luhan said heading up the stairs. "Remember when you hung out with my friends and I and they asked who you liked? I know who it is now."
 
I felt my heart pound against my chest and swallowed. He chuckled and walked to his bedroom. 
 
"It may be wrong for me to say this, but I'll be rooting for you," Luhan said and entered his room, shutting the door behind him. I entered my room and laid in bed. 
 
"Support me all you want, but she'll never be mine," I said and closed my eyes.