Chapter 42

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

3rd Person POV~
 
Haneul waited for Woohyun or at least someone to pick her up from school once everyone had left. She check her clock on her phone and continued to wait at the front gates when a car pulled up in front of her. The window rolled down and appeared Myungsoo with a smile. 
 
"Sorry for making you wait," he said. "Hurry and get in. It's cold out there."
 
She just nodded and entered, feeling a bit of disappointment. Myungsoo noticed her troubled face and sighed. 
 
"Was there someone else you were waiting for?" he asked, feeling his heart squeeze a bit at the thought of her wanting Woohyun and not him. 
 
"No," she simply replied, making Myungsoo's heart tighten even more. 
 
"Really? Because you look a bit disappointed," he coldly said while staring out at the roads. Haneul looked over to him, furrowing her eyebrows. 
 
"What's with you? Your tone of voice just suddenly changed," she said as he his bottom lip in annoyance. 
 
"It's because of you that my voice suddenly changed its tone," he replied a bit firmly. 
 
"Me? And what did I do wrong?" she asked, raising her voice slightly. He deeply exhaled and glanced at her. 
 
"Do you love me?" he asked, ignoring her question. 
 
"What?" she asked, confused. 
 
"I asked if you love me," he softly asked, but his voice still had a strong tone to it. Haneul scoffed and turned to look out the window. 
 
"First you ask if I'm disappointed, then you get mad, then you say I'm at fault for you getting mad and you won't even answer my question about it, then you bring this up? Seriously what's wrong with you?" Haneul asked a bit irritated. Myungsoo tried to stay as calm as possible to control himself and his emotions. 
 
"Just tell me, do you love me?" he asked again as she swallowed hard. 
 
"Of course I do," she lied, feeling the guilt rise up. 
 
"Then say it," he said with a hard gaze. "Tell me you love me."
 
"Myungsoo, I ca-"
 
"Why not? Why can't you say those three words?" he asked, gripping onto the steering wheel. "Didn't you say you love me."
 
"I do, but-"
 
"Then just say it so that my heart can be at ease!" he shouted at her, making her flinch. He pulled the car over and deeply exhaled before turning to face her. "Everyday I have to go through the pain of thinking you have someone else in your heart when it should be me. I don't even know if you do or not, but it's a horrible feeling. In order for my heart to calm down all I need is to hear those three words whether you mean it or not."
 
Haneul looked at this different Myungsoo and felt her heart growing more guilty. She opened to say something, but wasn't able to get a single sound to come out. Myungsoo scoffed in disbelief and faced forward. 
 
"There's no point in saying it when there's no love in it," he said and drove off again. 
 
Woohyun never went to see his father cause all he could think about was the bracelet in Haneul's nightstand drawer; his bracelet. He brushed his thumb over his engraved name, then clenched onto his bracelet. 
 
"Could it be that she was the one I met at the masquerade ball?" he asked himself when there was a knock on his bedroom door. 
 
"Oppa~ Haneul isn't home yet so can we play by ourselves," Minah shouted from out his door. Woohyun got up and set the bracelet aside, heading to the door. He opened it and saw her in her Princess outfit already. 
 
"Are you sure you want to play without Haneul?" he asked as she nodded. 
 
"I was going to make another kiss scene for the two of you, but we'll wait till later," she said with a grin then winked. "So you can be my Prince Charming for now."
 
He chuckled and nodded, heading to her room to play. 
 
Myungsoo arrived at the Park's house and didn't look at Haneul. She didn't want to move because she felt that if she did something would happen. Both their hearts' were pounding at the silence in the car. 
 
"You can get off now, I have to go see abeoji," Myungsoo first spoke as Haneul slowly nodded. 
 
"I'll be going then," she said and opened the car door when Myungsoo grabbed her wrist. 
 
"About earlier today, lets forget about it," he said and released her wrist without another word. She didn't look back and shut the door, entering the house to hear his car drive off. Once she opened the door she saw Woohyun leaning against the wall, looking at her as if he was waiting for her. 
 
"Was that Myungsoo?" he asked pushing himself off the wall. She slowly nodded and took off her shoes, walking past him when Minah popped out in front of her. 
 
"Unnie~ lets play!" she exclaimed as Haneul didn't show any reaction. "You promised me so you have to play."
 
Haneul just nodded and followed Minah up to her room with Woohyun following behind. Woohyun seemed to have noticed her acting different, but he didn't want to bother her. 
 
They played till dusk and Woohyun was getting ready to out Minah to sleep while Haneul cleaned up the room. 
 
"Oppa, you'll read me Cinderella, right?" Minah asked as he smiled and nodded. Woohyun read the book and finished it just as Haneul had finished putting the costumes and other supplies away. 
 
"Minah, do you think Cinderella can also be a boy?" Woohyun asked, setting the book on her little nightstand. 
 
"Cinderella can't be a boy when she's a girl," Minah stated as he snickered. 
 
"So what you're saying is that I can't be Cinderella?" he asked as she nodded. "Really? Because I feel like I can be her."
 
"And how us that possible? You've never lost a glass slipper," Minah giggled, making Woohyun smile. He looked at Haneul, who was just opening the door to leave. 
 
"I met a girl at a masquerade ball back in May," he said looking at her stop at the door. "She was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Her dress and the mask she wore complimented her well, but the shoes she wore didn't really work well. Her feet began bruising up because she didn't break into them yet, so she sat alone in a garden and that was when we first met."
 
Haneul gripped onto the door knob and slowly turned around to look at Woohyun, who turned away to look at Minah. 
 
"We both danced together at the ball, but when I was caught I ran away not knowing her name or how she really looked like," he said with a gentle smile. "Once I entered my little secret hideout, I noticed that I was missing something precious of mine."
 
"Was it a glass slipper?" Minah teased, but yet so serious about it. He chuckled and shook his head. 
 
"Much better," he said. "It was a silver bracelet my mother had left me before she died. On it is my name engraved on it, Nam Woohyun."
 
Haneul rounded her eyes and stared at Woohyun as he looked at her with a smile. 
 
"I don't know if I'm looking for my bracelet or the girl I fell in love with, probably both because I have a feeling their both together somewhere," he said and turned back to face Minah. "So, do you think I could still be Cinderella?"
 
"Of course you can~! I think you're even better than Cinderella!" Minah happily said as Haneul felt her heart pounding against her chest. She couldn't believe what she heard and so she walked out of Minah's room and went into the bathroom to wash her face. 
 
"Woohyun, it can't be that he's really the one I was looking for," she whispered while the cold water dripped from her face. She looked at herself in the mirror and dried her face off. She slowly inhaled and exhaled before walking out of the bathroom and to her room. She flicked on the lights and saw Woohyun sitting on her bed with the bracelet in his hands. 
 
"The one I met at the ball, the one I fell in love with...it was you, wasn't it?"