Chapter 23

Who Says Cinderella Can't Become a Princess...or Should I Say a Prince?

 

3rd Person POV~
 
"Hyung, what's with the mask?" Luhan asked Woohyun, who was driving him to the Nam's mansion. 
 
"I'm getting a cold, so I didn't want to spread it," he answered and concentrated on the road. 
 
"But it's summer, you can't get a cold," Luhan stated. 
 
"I know it's summer, but the unexpected can happen," Woohyun replied and turned into the driveway. "We're here."
 
Luhan got out and so did Woohyun. They both were following Mr. and Mrs. Park out being greeted by the Nam family. 
 
"Welcome," Mr. Nam said as Mrs. Nam hugged them all except for Woohyun. 
 
"And who is this?" Mrs. Nam asked with a disgusted look. "Don't tell me this is the servant who ruined dinner that one night."
 
"He's not a servant and he didn't ruin dinner," Haneul stood up for him as Woohyun just stared at Madam Nam. She was taken aback and looked at Haneul. 
 
"Haneul, lets not talk back," her mother said. "Where is Myungsoo?"
 
"I'm right here," he said and walked down the stairs, up to them. "It's nice to see you all again."
 
They nodded and bowed to one another. Myungsoo looked at Woohyun, both meeting each other's eyes. Woohyun looked away first and looked around the house with his eyes as Myungsoo just kept on staring at him, finding him suspicious. 
 
"Who's this guy?" Myungsoo asked, pointing to Woohyun. 
 
"He's a hyung," Luhan spoke. 
 
"Well I don't like it how your hyung is wearing a mask in this house," Myungsoo coldly said. 
 
"I know right," Madam Nam agreed, holding onto Myungsoo's arm. He gently moved her hands away and walked up to Woohyun. 
 
"Please take that mask off, it's really bothersome," he said as Woohyun swallowed hard. "I won't allow those sorts of things in my house. I like to see the face."
 
"It's best if you take it off," Mr. Park whispered, placing his hand on Woohyun's shoulder. "Please."
 
Woohyun was now feeling the pressure and saw all eyes on him when he saw someone familiar watching from afar. His heart pounded against his chest and he widened his eyes as she did too. 
 
"Halmeoni," he softly whispered, soft enough that no one had heard him. She had dropped the tray of snacks from recognizing Woohyun; now all the attention was on her. 
 
"I'm sorry, I will clean this up right away," halmeoni said, kneeling down as Woohyun ran up to her. 
 
"I'll clean this up," he said as he felt her cold, wrinkly hands on his. He looked up and saw her eyes tearing up. "Halmeoni."
 
"Where have you been all this time?" she whispered with trembling lips. 
 
"I'm sorry I left so suddenly halmeoni," Woohyun whispered back when Myungsoo stood above them.
 
"What are you two doing? Hurry up and clean it up," he said as Woohyun looked up to meet his eyes. 
 
"Yes Young Master, we'll clean it up quickly," halmeoni said and picked up the snacks and broken plates when Woohyun grabbed her hand. 
 
"You'll cut your hands," he said. "I'll go and bring a broom-"
 
"No, it's fine. I'll do it," she said and struggled to get up with weak knees. Once she stood up, she walked away to the kitchen while they all stood there. 
 
"That old hag is getting old. I should fire her," Madam Nam scoffed. Woohyun felt his heart squeeze and his body temperature rise up. He clenched his fist as Myungsoo had noticed him doing so. He smirked and looked at Woohyun's back. *So it really is him.*
 
"Well, lets leave this mess and go eat some lunch," Madam Nam said and led them into the kitchen while Woohyun stayed put. 
 
"Hyung, come this way," Luhan said, but he didn't budge. 
 
"I'll stay and clean this up," Woohyun said and bent down to clean it when halmeoni came back with the broom.
 
"Hyung, just leave it," Luhan softly said. Woohyun shook his head and grabbed the broom from halmeoni. 
 
"I'll catch up with you Luhan, just enjoy lunch," he smiled under the mask and helped halmeoni, now leaving the two alone. 
 
Woohyun's POV~
 
"I see you're being taken good care of," halmeoni said, caressing my face. 
 
"Halmeoni looks like she's become prettier," I said as she smiled. 
 
"I'm just getting older Woohyun-ah," she said and we both took the broken plates and snacks to the kitchen. 
 
"How's your husband?" I then asked, taking my mask off. 
 
"He's better. I was able to pay all the bills thanks to Young Master Myungsoo," she said with a smile. I looked at her shock. 
 
"Myungsoo helped out?" I asked as she nodded. 
 
"He's been acting different lately," she replied. "I don't know, but he seems to have gotten more serious and mature. He's been doing things on his own lately too."
 
"I see," I said and helped her get a new tray of snacks. My eyes then traveled to the door that led to my room, feeling the urge to go and check it out. "Halmeoni, has anyone ever gone into my room since I've left?"
 
She looked at me then to the door and shook her head. 
 
"Not that I'm aware of," she said. "Are you going to take everything back?"
 
I looked at her and smiled. "That's not necessary. Is it alright if I go and see my room?"
 
"It's not my room is it?" she snickered. I shook my head and headed towards the door. "Don't stay in there too long or else they'll start wondering where you are. The Park family would."
 
I nodded and opened the door to be welcomed by a freezing, cold breeze. I walked down the dark stairway, feeling it getting colder and colder as I went further down the stairs. I reached my hand around the brick wall to feel the light switch. I turned it on and the light flickered on; the light dim and not as alive as it was before. 
 
Everything was the same, except for the dust that had formed over the past 2 months of my disappearance. All of my belongings have been untouched and was still the same as when I left it. I walked around my room and smiled at all the memories I had created with it, except for the bad ones. I walked around when I came across the photo of my mother, which made my heart squeeze and tighten. Seeing her made me remember about the bracelet she left me, but I still couldn't find it ever since the masquerade party. 
 
The light was flickering and about to die out when I heard footsteps slowly coming down the stairs. I felt my heart pounding fast, wishing it wasn't any of the Nam family. I quickly reached in my pocket for my mask, but I forgot that I left it on the kitchen table. I was now freaking out and tried to look for a place to hide, but in a room like this; there was no where to hide.
 
The footsteps got closer and closer as I bot my bottom lip, scared. I turned my back towards the stairs and hoped it wasn't Myungsoo, worser yet; Madam Nam. 
 
"So you are here," the person said as I widened my eyes. 
 
I've been caught...*