Mixed Emotions

Living with Mister Arrogant

 

 

Narrator

 

 

L.joe maintained his composure, yet he was astonished. “...answers?” He echoed.

You snapped from your little daze, eyes wide. “I said that out loud?” You gasped. L.joe chuckled and nodded. You hid your face, embarrassed. *Stupid me.*

He ruffled your hair, grinning from ear to ear. It took a matter of seconds before his expression changed to serious.

“Hae, we’re friends, right?”

You nodded, still not looking up. L.jos sighed and bent on his knees, leveling his face with yours. He tilted your head up, holding your chin with his slender fingers.

You stared back, eyes wide. Your insides were churning.

“I see you’re troubled.” He mumbled.

You immediately pulled away, smiling nervously. “Uh.. Well..”

“You can tell me anything.” He encouraged. You bit your lip, kicking a pebble. “I’m just disoriented. Confused… I think.”

His face fell. “Is this… because of what I said to you?”

You looked away, avoiding his melancholic gaze. “Y..yes.”

L.joe forced a smile, squaring his shoulders. “Eunhae, I told you. I’m not forcing you to return my feelings. You’re not in any way obligated to me.”

You looked up to meet his face. He winked playfully.

“But, you’re my friend… and I’m.. I’m not sure…”

L.joe placed finger on your quivering lips. He smiled whole-heartedly, and spoke.

“Just remember this. We don’t always get what we want. The big Guy above may have different plans, right? But whatever your decision will be, I’ll be man enough to accept it.”

Your heart soared with his words. “You’ll still be my… buddy, right? Whatever happens?”

“Of course, I am.” He chuckled and pinched your cheek. You swatted his hand away playfully and grinned. “You’re a great guy, Byunhyun.”

He rolled his eyes. “That was a good compliment. Except for the Byunghyun part.”

 

As the night went on, L.joe insisted on driving you home. You wanted to make him happy, so you agreed. But of course, you gave the address to Seohyun’s condominium.

“I still need to go to my cousin. I’ll be sleeping there.” You explained. L,joe nodded and opened the door for you. “Okay, Miss Park. Hop in.”

You just had to chuckle with that.

For minutes, both of you enjoyed each other’s company. Cracking jokes, teasing each other, talking about common interests and such.

Now your whole being felt contented and light. Your fear of losing a friend a while ago vanished entirely. L.joe’s words assured you of your friendship. Also, it felt somehow comforting to you. Even if time comes that you couldn’t return his feelings, he would still be there, as the L.joe you know.

“Here we go.” He whistled, parking just outside the building.

You stared at it, nodding. “Hmmm, here we are.”

L.joe smiled, looking at you. “Thanks for tonight, Eunhae.”

You turned to him and smiled. “I should thank you. It was an awesome night with you.”

He grinned. “I’m glad I wasn’t boring you.”

“You never do.” You chuckled. “Except when you sleep. You’re so boring.” You stuck out your tongue playfully. L.joe rolled his eyes in response. “At least I don’t bury myself in my binder, helplessly listening to our boring teacher.” He retorted.

“That’s what a good student is supposed to do!”

He laughed. “No, that’s what nerds do.”

“I’m not a nerd!”

“You are!”

“Well, you’re a gangster!”

“At least I’m cool.”

You harrumphed, turning away from him. He let out a hearty chuckle and hopped out of the vehicle, opening your door. You tapped his shoulder, mumbling a ‘thanks.’

“Well then. Goodnight Byungie. Thank you so much.” You muttered, avoiding his gaze. In a spur of a moment, pair of hands was holding yours.

You looked at him, alarmed.

L.joe flashed you his sincere smile and clasped your hands between his. He took in a deep breath before speaking. “I… I want to guarantee you that I will forever be the Byungie you know.”

You bit your lip, blood rushing to your cheeks. “Thank you so much.”

He let go and immediately placed his hands on his pockets. “Go on inside. It’s cold.”

You nodded. “Thanks again for tonight Byungie! Take care!”

He playfully shooed you dismissively.

 

You had a smile plastered on your face as you your heel.

But before you could take a step, a hand wretched your wrist, pulling you closer. Next thing you know, L.joe’s lips were gently pressed on your forehead.

Eyes widened, your whole being froze in place. L.joe gently pulled away, head lowered down. “I’m…. I’m… sorry.”

Your throat ran dry. There were no words coming out, and your mind was still lingering on its blank state. L.joe looked at you worriedly, his brows creased apologetically.

It too you a few minutes to stagger a little and avoid his gaze.

“Uh.. Uh… I need to go.”

With that you scrambled away, running to the entrance with a hammering heart.

And also leaving L.joe there, regretting what he did.

 

 

MORNING

 

Myungsoo yawned, stretching his long lean arms. He heard the clanking of plates downstairs, and it tickled his hunger.

Downstairs, you were sulking on the kitchen, mindlessly eating your plate of toast. Thoughts were having a marathon on your head, and there was still no finish line. It came to you that you badly needed to express your emotions, but there was no one to vent out whatever you were clamming up inside.

Harang wordlessly entered the kitchen to grab a glass of milk.

“Aish!” You dropped your fork, ruffling your bednest hair. Harang stopped to look at you, and she flinched. “You’re really stupid.”

You just shot her a look and focuesd on your food, trying to clear your mind.

 

Myungsoo groggily took each step down the stairs. He scratched his head and yawned, the hype morning atmosphere still not getting in to his system.

“Oh.” He lightly gasped, Harang jumping in front of him wearing a big grin. “Good Morning Myungsoo Oppa~” She chirped.

Myungsoo smiled a little and nodded. “Where’s Eunhae?”

Harang grumbled and walked away, ignoring his queation. Myungsoo’s brow raised as he walked towards the kitchen.

“Myungsoo! You’re awake!” You grinned for a while, swinging your hands up to welcome him. He shot you a look before opening the fridge.

You sighed, munching on bread. “I need your help. I’m totally in a big problem. You know, I think my brain—“

The loud banging of the fridge’s door cut you off. Myungsoo narrowed his eyes at you. “I hope you had fun at your date.” He seethed, before trudging away with his dark expression.

You flinched, mouth slightly agape. “W…What’s up with that dude?”

 

Harang smiled contentedly. She hopped to Myungsoo’s side and tugged on his sleeve.

“Oppa, can we go out today?” She pouted, batting her lashes. Purposely, she heightened her voice for you to hear.

Inside the kitchen, you were grunting.

Myungsoo looked away. “Ha—“

“Please, Oppa~~~” She begged, now making her voice louder than the usual. You pushed the chair as you stood up and peeked from the walls. Harang smirked inwardly.

“We can go check out this new café in Apgu-jeong! Then we can visit out favorite local bookstore near it. Just like the usual~”

Myungsoo sighed, piching the bridge of his nose. “I… I…”

“I know you’re stressed. Maybe we should get a massage. You know, it’s a Sunday. We should at least, for once a week, get away from this house and its unfortunate flaws, and get a splash of fresh air. Don’t you think it smells so ty here?” She complained, glancing at you. You balled your fist, on the verge of loosing cool.

“What? ty?” Myungsoo snapped.

Harang giggled. “I meant stuffy, Oppa. Stuffy.”

Myungsoo exhaled.

“But still, I really think this house is already filled with dirt. You know those types that… cling to people. Such a nuisance, really.” She added, shooting you her evil smirk. Your eyes rounded, suppressing your anger.

“I think the cleaning lady comes every Wednesday to do her job Harang. Get rid of the dirt and dust.” Myungsoo simply replied, uninterested.

She sighed. “I just hope she gets rid of… you know… dirtier stuff. Like trash.” She spat out the last part with pure hatred, now looking at you.

 

“You crossed the line.” You walked in the living room, your jaw clenched. Myungsoo turned to look at you with his surprised face, while Harang remained on her façade. “Eunhae-sshi, what do you mean? Are you talking to me?”

Her voice irked you more. More, her perfect acting.

“Who else am I talking to?” You spat out, vexed.

Harang smiled and merrily clung on to Myungsoo’s arm. “Well, Oppa and I were just talking about TRASH here in our home.”

“Enough. I’m sick of you.” You hissed.

Myungsoo stood up,clearly taken aback with your outburst. “Eunhae, what are you—“

“You don’t know anything. You don’t know how she treats me, how she looks at me, how she degrades me! You don’t now a thing.”

His sight turned to Harang, who was innocently looking back at him. “Oppa… I don’t know what she’s talking about…”

“You perfectly know what this is all about, Harang. How I am a flirt? A ?!” You chuckled bitterly. Harang lowered her head, and in a matter of seconds, you could already hear her choking with tears.

Myungsoo closed his eyes briefly. “Eunahe, whatever this is, let’s stop this. Harang doesn’t know what you’re talking about.”

You bit your lip, tears threatening to fall. “You think I’m telling lies? She purposely spilled on me on the party! She insults me everyday, and now, she’s stepping on my dignity!”

“But I didn’t do anything! I’m sorry if you don’t like me…. But you don’t have to make up stories Eunhae-sshi…” She sobbed, eventually falling on the couch, shaking with tears.

You looked at her with disbelief, and turned your eyes to Myungsoo.

He shook his head in distate, his eyes glued to you.

“You should stop this.”

You looked away, letting a tear slide down your cheek. “There’s nothing for me to stop. You know what? Darn you. Both of you. Harang, I applaud you for your acting skills. And you Myungsoo, I applaud you for your stupidity.”

With that, you ran to your room, slamming the soor shut.

 

__________________________________________