"I don't hate you."

Living with Mister Arrogant

 

 

NARRATOR

 

Myungsoo awkwardly bit his lip. You looked around, finding the words to say.

“Ya.” He looked up, hearing your voice.

A sigh escaped your quivering lips. “Uh… Thanks.”

He nodded stiffly. “I… was just being polite.”

You chuckled bitterly. “When will you ever admit that you wanted to help me?”

Myungsoo snickered at you direction. “Never, because I don’t.”

You snorted, still dabbing your handkerchief on your wet dress. A pout tugged on your lips, looking at the ruined dress. Myungsoo had his eyes on you. A smile lingered on his lips all the time, but he didn’t even notice. He looked at your reckless dabbing, and he sighed.

Next thing you know, his hands were on yours, wiping the wet dress.

“You don’t even know how to dry this.” He muttered, annoyed.

You slowly slipped your hands off his and let him do it. He was so close, and it made you feel somehow awkward. Myungsoo stopped and quickly recoiled away. “I… I… was just…”

“Yeah, thanks.” You quickly finished, not wanting to stay longer on the awkward atmosphere.

 

“You were my ticket out.” He said mockingly. Your head snapped up. “So you only did that gentleman act to get out of that party? I should’ve known.”

He laughed. “What do you think? That I really intended to help you?”

You rolled your eyes at him. “Whatever, douche. ‘Help’ doesn’t even exist in your vocabulary.”

 

Minutes passed, and the red liquid dried up. Stains still stayed on your dress, but Myungsoo’s coat covered it all up.

“Let’s go?” He offered. You nodded, a grin plastered on your face. “As much as I don’t want to say this, but I really want to get out of here.”

Myungsoo chuckled. “Milk tea?”

Your eyes glistened. “Your treat!”

 

Just like last time, both of you sipped your beverages while leaning on his car. Silence overpowered, yet it wasn’t torturous or awkward at all. In fact, it was comfortable silence.

“Myungsoo.” You started, looking at the skies. He just mumbled a yes, chewing on his tapioca balls.

You smiled a bit. “Are we friends?”

Myungsoo stopped sipping his drink. He couldn’t find the right words to say. Worse, he doesn’t know why his heart was hammering.

Before he could respond, you started again. “I mean, I don’t assume. But, lately I’ve been fighting with you. And I know you hate me. We could even kill each other now.” A chuckle escaped your lips.

Myungsoo froze on his place.

“But even if I feel that way, I know that hatred is a bad thing. Right?”

He didn’t respond. Instead he diverted his attention to his drink, making wild slurping noises. You sighed, looking away. “Okay, if you don’t wa—“

“I don’t hate you.” He blurted out. Your head snapped to his direction. “You… don’t?”

He bit his lower lip, trying to formulate a good reply. “I… Uh… we bicker but it’s not really that personal.”

You simply nodded, waiting for more.

“And… I was asked by your father to guard you or something, so… maybe… I do things that would keep you away from harm.”

“So are we friends?” You blinked innocently.

Myungsoo straightened. “I don’t want to be your friend.” He stuck his tongue out.

Your lip twitched. “I don’t want you as my friend too. You’re arrogant, and a douche!” You retorted, stomping your foot. Myungsoo scoffed. “Oh really? Then you’re a pig! And a brat!”

“I hate you.”

“Then I hate you too.”

You looked at him weirdly. “You just said you don’t hate me!”

“I hate you now.”

“You don’t hate me before?”

“I do!”

“But you said—“

“I didn’t say anything!”

“You just said a while ago th—“

“Okay, we’re friends!” Myungsoo raised his hands in mid-air, forehead creased with irritation.

Both of you remained silent. Then in a few seconds both of you erupted in loud laughter. Myungsoo clutched his tummy, and you held the car hood for support.

“That was weird.” You chuckled, slowly regaining composure. Myungsoo shook his head vigorously to stop his guffaws.

 

When the two of you arrived home, it was empty. In short, Harang was still out. Myungsoo yawned, stretching his hands as he entered the house. He purposely stretched wider than usual to hit your face.

“Ack!” You shrieked, slapping his hand away. He chuckled, looking at your direction with a silly look on his face. “Go to sleep, brat. You’re so loud.”

Unexpectedly, a yawn also escaped your lips. “Right.”

Myungsoo shook his head and trudged towards the kitchen. He was expressionless as always, rummaging the refrigerator.

“What are you doing?”

He grunted, shaking the almost empty box of milk. “I wasn’t really satisfied with the food in the party.”

Your eyes brightened. “Me too.”

Myungsoo closed the fridge and judgingly looked at you. “I didn’t ask.”

You snickered, rolling your eyes and trudging upstairs. Myungsoo chuckled and hollered from the kitchen. “Goodnight… friend!”

From upstairs, a smile unconsciously tugged on your lips.

 

______________________

 

Sorry I haven't updated. Just got home from somewhere. Wi-fi there is... ugh.

:> thanks for subscribing.