Selfishness and diamond rings

Crazy?

Minji’s POV

I got up and went towards the door. I opened it and a gust of strong wind greeted me, causing me to shiver a little. How long have he been out there in the cold? Is this why he kept urging me to eat?

“Seungho…” I muttered, looking at him, unable to hide my smile.

His teeth were chattering, but he was still smiling.

“I know I am lacking in every possible way, I know I have not been the best boyfriend to you. I wouldn’t lie to you and say things like you’re the only girl I have in my life.” He said.

I laughed at his statement. How could I be Yang Seungho’s only girl?

“There are a few more before you, but you, Minji, you are the only one who can make me lose my mind like this. You are the only one whom I will willingly give up my life for if means for you to live one more day.” He said.

“Your ex-girlfriends would be really upset to hear this.” I .

“I don’t care. It’s not important.” He said.

I laughed, looking at him, still unable to digest the whole situation.

“You are the only one who can make me do things I would never do in the past.” He continued.

“Like what?” I asked.

“Like this. Waiting out there in the cold for God knows how long just to propose to you, and, actually even wanting to get married at this point of time, only you can do this to me.” He said.

He just went back to the stage a while ago, if news comes out that he is going to get married, what is going to happen to him and to MBLAQ?

“I know what you’re thinking. But Darling, nothing beats losing you. I’ve experienced life without you for two years, and like I said before, if not for Minki, I would have killed myself. I know this sounds like a joke. But it is not, Minji. The past two years was really terrible for me, and I don’t wish to go through it again.” He said.

I touched his cold cheek, smiling at him.

“I bought this ring a while ago. I was prepared to propose to you, and then everything came crashing down. I kept this ring in my bag and took it everywhere I go. Just in case I see you again, I want to be able to propose to you right away.” He said, his eyes watering.

“I’m not the best person for you. I believe there are much more better options out there. But pardon my selfishness for wanting you as mine. I shouldn’t be saying this while proposing but I don’t dare to promise you that we will have a wonderful, bright life ahead, because I really don’t know. Perhaps tomorrow Yang Seungho would just be another man on the street, who knows.” He said, crying already.

I wiped his tears while trying to hold back mine.

“But Minji, I… I can only promise you that… Yang Seungho will never run away anymore. Yang Seungho, be it the one with fame, or the one without, would stick by you, Minji, for as long as I live. I wouldn’t be shaken by threats or any other power. I wouldn’t give you up for anything. Because I realize, nothing is more threatening or scary than losing you. Nothing can scare me anymore, except you.” He said.

“Would you allow me to protect you and stand by you for the rest of our lives? Would you accept a man with nothing but love for you? Would you marry me, please?” He asked.

Despite crying and freezing, he still has to be cheesy. What is wrong with this man?

I bend down to his level and pulled his cold body into my embrace, in hope to warm him up.

“Yes, I’ll marry you.” I whispered into his ear.

“Thank you.” He cried, burying his face into my neck.

“Why are you crying? Are you regretting already?” I .

“Regretting? No! NO!” He pulled away, pouting at me.

He wiped the tears off his cheeks carelessly. He looked so cute when he was confused as to what to do now.

“I don’t know if this ring design is still in the trend or not. It’s been years since I bought it. Hopefully it is not the second-hand store design now.” He said as he took the ring out from the box with trembling fingers.

“As long as your love for me doesn’t go out of trend, I really don’t care what design it is.” I said, letting him slip the ring onto my finger.

“Then you cannot take it out even if someone laughs at you for wearing an old design.” He said, smiling widely.

“I’ll punch whoever who laughs with this ring to show them who is the fashionable one.” I said.

“I love you!” He hugged me tightly.

“Alright, alright. Let’s get you inside. You’re so cold!” I rubbed his arms as I led him inside the studio.

I went to get him a hot cup of water. When I came back, he was still grinning at me.

“Drink this.” I said, handing him the cup.

“Thanks.” He muttered, sipping on the hot water.

“Why do you always do weird stuff? What if I don’t eat the bread any time sooner?” I asked, covering him with my shawl.

“I’ll continue to wait.” He said.

“Are you crazy or what?” I rubbed his arms.

“I told you, only you can make me do this.” He said.

I rolled my eyes at him.

We sat against the wall in silence. I was admiring the ring on my finger while he was still smiling to himself.

“How is it that it still fits?” I asked.

“Honestly, I had it adjusted just awhile ago.” He said.

“Because I put on weight?” I asked.

“Healthily.” He pinched my cheek.

“Never stand out in the cold for so many hours just to do something like that again. What if you fall sick?” I asked.

“I’ll never do it again.” He said.

I looked at him, feeling a little sad. I was hoping for an answer like ‘I’ll do it no matter how many times just for you.’.

“What? You want me to marry more than once?” He asked.

“Not that!” I punched his arm lightly.

He put his arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.

“I’ve already got the right girl. It’s enough for this lifetime, and the next, and perhaps the next, next one, and so on.” He said.

“Seungho, you’re not a man with nothing, neither are you lacking in every way. Why can’t you seem to understand?” I asked, slapping my palm against his for the fun of it.

“I’ll never be good enough for you. At least, I think this way.” He said.

“Then why do you still want me to marry you?” I asked.

“Because I’m selfish.” He grinned.

“Eeeks~ Selfish panpy!” I poked him.

“Yes, I’m very selfish. I want you for myself and myself only!” He tickled me.

I cannot be bothered about anything else external now. If Seungho is not afraid, then I would not be afraid too. Ultimately, we live for ourselves, no? Anyone else who thinks otherwise can just screw themselves. I am happy with him, and that is enough for me.

***
I was in the hospital with him for the bone marrow transplant. We told no one about us getting married yet because we wanted to break the news to them only after he was done with it. But we could not escape Haneul’s sharp eyes.

“Do I see something shimmering on your finger!?” She stared at me the moment she entered the room with Junhyung.

“Huh?” I looked at her, and then at Seungho, and my ring.

“ARE YOU GUYS GETTING MARRIED!?” She shook me excitedly.

“Hyung, really!?” Junhyung’s eyes widened.

“Stop shaking her!” Seungho laughed, pulling me away from Haneul.

“Really!?” She asked.

I nodded.

“Why didn’t you say anything!? How dare you!” She pretended to be angry.

“Awww~ We wanted to tell it to you guys later! Come on~ Now that you know, is my ring pretty?” I asked, showing her my ring.

Seungho and Junhyung laughed.

“Congratulations, hyung! Finally!” Junhyung exclaimed.

“What do you mean by finally!?” Seungho smacked his arm.

“Junroro!! Look at that diamond! It’s so big! Mine is like a baby as compared to it!” Haneul smacked Junhyung’s back.

“Ouch! Yah~ Are you complaining now huh?” He asked.

“Ahh no~ I love my ring.” Haneul said cutely, kissing her own ring.

“That’s my girl. We’ll go shopping later.” Junhyung pinched her cheek.

“Are you going to buy me a diamond ring?” Haneul asked.

“Sure~” Junhyung smiled.

“Seungho! I want to go shopping too!” I pouted.

“You said it was okay! You said that as long as my love for you don’t go out of trend, you don’t really bother about the ring design! Are you taking back your words already!?” Seungho asked.

“I really don’t mind this ring, but my other fingers are lonely.” I said.

“Ahhh my blood pressure~” He held onto his neck.

“What ring? Is someone getting married?” A voice asked.

“We could hear you guys yelling from outside.” G.O said as he entered with the boys.

“Exactly. What’s going on? And oh, wow, Minji, that’s one nice diamond ring.” Joon said, staring at my finger.

“He gave it to me.” I pointed at Seungho.

“Is this a promise ring or something like that?” Mir asked.

“What promise ring? It’s a proposal ring, Mir ah~” Haneul said.

“Oh.. Wait.. PROPOSAL!?” Mir yelled.

“YOU TWO ARE GETTING MARRIED!?” They yelled, staring at us with wide eyes.

We could only laugh at their expression. It was priceless.

“Yea, I proposed, and she said yes.” Seungho said proudly.

“YOU NEVER TOLD US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Cheondong yelled as he threw himself onto Seungho.

The others followed, squashing Seungho below.

“MMPHFFF!!!” Seungho struggled.

“Yah~ Yah~ Don’t kill him!” I pulled them off.

“Aigoo~ Look at Minji~ So protective already.” Junhyung teased.

“Of course. If he dies, I wouldn’t get more rings.” I said.

Seungho glared at me.

“Am I just here to buy you rings?” He asked.

“Nawwww~ Of course not~” I hugged him.

“Ewwww~ Stop it!” G.O cringed.

“When is the wedding!?” Joon asked excitedly.

“Nothing has been planned yet. We’ll plan it soon, after this.” I said, looking at Seungho.

“Seungho, you’re getting married with Minji, then what about me?” G.O asked.

“WHAT ABOUT YOU!?” Seungho stared at him, wide eyes.

“Seungho!” I stared at him, playing along.

“I did nothing!!!” Seungho defended himself.

The guys continued to chat about the wedding and kids while Haneul and I busied ourselves looking at diamond rings on the Internet.

“Yang Seungho sshi~” The nurse called out as soon as she came in.

We looked up from what we were doing.

“Are you ready?” She asked.

“Yea.” Seungho smiled.

“Can we go now?” She asked.

“Wait. Five minutes.” I said.

“Okay, I’ll come back.” She said.

Seungho looked at me with curious eyes.

“What is it, darling?” He asked.

I looked at the others awkwardly, hoping they would get my message to give us privacy.

“Erm… Let’s wait outside. Perhaps Minji wants to strip Seungho or something. I don’t want to see it.” Haneul covered her eyes.

“Aigoo~ You only want to see mine, right?” Junhyung poked her as they headed outside.

“Thanks.” I muttered as they left.

I turned back to Seungho who was still looking at me curiously.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

I sat down beside him, holding his hand.

“Are you sure about this?” I asked.

“Yes, darling. Yes.” He said.

“Can I change your mind?” I asked.

He said nothing.

“Alright. I know. Just… I’m scared for you.” I said, leaning against his chest.

“Don’t be. I’ll be fine.” He caressed my back.

“Don’t make me a widow even before I can say ‘I do’ in front of everyone.” I said.

He laughed and kissed my hair.

“Of course not. I still want to see my beautiful girl in her wedding gown, as well as my cute little princess in a flower girl dress.” He said.

“We’ll get Loki to be the page boy.” I said.

“Ji Eun and Tae Hyun can have some fun with it too.” He said.

“Yea. We’ll have a fun wedding.” I said.

He smiled.

“But a wedding will never be completed with the groom, so I’m waiting for you.” I said.

He nodded and cupped my cheeks. He pulled me closer to him before kissing me on my lips.

“After this, we’ll go shopping. I’ll buy you as many diamond rings you want.” He said.

“I just want you.” I said.

“Really?” He asked.

“And diamond rings too.” I stuck out my tongue.

***
After he went into the operating theater, I went to look for my father.

“Minji~” He smiled when he saw me.

But his smile died down when he saw the ring on my finger.

“We’re getting married, whether you like it or not.” I said, showing him the ring.

He looked a little upset, but nodded anyway.

“Honestly, as much as I want you alive and well, I don’t like the idea of Seungho donating his bone marrow to you. I have no idea how much kindness he has in him to actually want to save you, a man who wishes for nothing but his death.” I said.

He looked at me sadly.

“He is risking himself too to save you, so you better get your act together and get well. I don’t care if your body protests against his bone marrow, you better make it work. You better not let him down. The discomfort he has to go through is not a minor one, and to start with he already does not have a good back or a healthy body.” I said.

“I understand.” He said.

“Treatment after this is going to be tough and painful, but make sure you endure it.” I said.

He nodded.

“Seungho is very important to me.” I said.

“I know.” He said.

“And so are you.” I said before leaving.

***
“How is he?” I asked my doctor friend the moment he stepped out.

 “It is successful. We got the bone marrow from Seungho, and then transplanted it to your father.” He said.

“Then what’s with your face? Is something wrong?” I asked.

“Come on, don’t say things halfway.” Haneul urged.

“Seungho developed a fever halfway through the extraction. The anesthesia has not worn off yet therefore we cannot tell if he is fine. We need to wait for him to wake up.” He said.

“Fever? How could this be? He was fine awhile ago!” I said.

“We’re not sure why it happened too. Perhaps it is one of the side effects of the anesthesia. We can only tell when he has woken up. But he will be okay. Don’t worry.” He said.

“How can I not be worrying!?” I snapped.

“Minji ah~ Seungho is stronger than you think he is.” He said.

“Come on, Minji. Let’s go see Seungho.” Haneul dragged me away.

“Is it my fault?” I asked Haneul.

“Huh?” She looked at me.

“He waited for me in the cold a few days ago just to propose to me. I took so long to eat that sandwich therefore he had to wait. If only I ate it the moment he handed it to me, he could propose right away! He called me many times to ask if I have eaten but I never caught his hint! I let him wait in the cold despite knowing that he isn’t the healthiest person around and just days before this! How could I be so dumb!?” I cried into my palms.

“Minji ah~ It’s not your fault! You’re silly or what?” She hugged me.

“What if something happens to him? How am I going to live on?” I cried.

“Nothing will happen to Seungho. When he donated his bone marrow to you, he woke up so weak we all thought he was going to die, but he survived too. Now with you with him, he’ll definitely be stronger! Trust me!” Haneul said.

She wiped my tears and cupped my cheeks.

“You’re Seungho’s pillar of strength. He is only alive because of you. And don’t forget Minki.” She said.

I sniffed and nodded.

“Come on, let’s go wash your face. Seungho wouldn’t want to wake up to see you looking like that.” She smiled.

I walked into the room after I washed up. He was still unconscious. I sat down beside him, holding his hand.

“You’ve done well, Lucky. Thank you so much.” I touched his hot cheek.

“But don’t forget what you promise me.” I said.

“Umma!!!” A cheerful voice called out.

I turned to see Minki running towards me.

“Hey, my sweet girl. How are you today?” I asked as I carried her up.

She pinched my cheeks and rubbed her nose against mine.

“Deedee!” She pointed to Seungho, then look back at me.

“Daddy’s sick. He needs to rest.” I said.

”Why?” She asked.

“Because Daddy did something really selfless, but he unfortunately fell sick in the process. We got to take good care of him until he is well again, okay?” I asked.

She nodded.

She struggled to get down from my arms, and when I let her down, she went towards Seungho. She rested her chin on his hand, watching him sleep.

Haneul is right. I cannot be weak and whiny. I need to take care of him as well as Minki.