Persistent

Crazy?

Seungho’s POV

I pulled out a stack of cash, shoved it to the cab driver, and ran out. I heard him shout after me saying that I paid too much or something like that but I could not be bothered. I raced up the stairs to where Minji’s room is. I burst into the room, almost slamming my face into the wall.

“Are you okay!?” I heard Haneul shout.

Both Haneul and Minji were staring at me as thou I just came from space.

“Darling! Are you alright!?” I rushed to Minji’s side, holding her hand tightly.

“I’m okay.” She smiled.

“But I thought you…” I looked at Haneul.

“Do you think the entire labour process happens in five minutes?” She asked.

“I don’t know.” I muttered.

“Don’t .” Minji said, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

“Ahh~” She whined suddenly, clutching my hand tightly.

“Are you in pain!? Call the doctor!” I yelled.

“Relax, silly!” She laughed.

“But.. but..” I panicked.

“She’s not exactly in labour yet, but it’s soon. Do you seriously think she will be so calm if she’s in labour?” Haneul said.

“I don’t know. I really don’t.” I pouted.

“If you don’t know, ask Junhyung. I’ll be back later.” Haneul smiled, heading out.

“Are you in a lot of pain?” I asked Minji.

“Not a lot yet. It’s on and off. Don’t worry, okay?” She said, smiling at me.

“Yet~” I mumbled.

“It’s a nice kind of pain, I guess.” She said.

“How is it nice?” I asked.

“It’s our baby we’re talking about here.” She said.

“Right… But I wish it would be me in pain instead.” I said.

“Don’t be crazy. Go wash up. Did you crash into something on the way here?” She asked.

“No. I’m very clean.” I said, looking at myself.

“Yea, right. You look like you just ran out of the jungle. Our baby will freak out seeing you like this. Go clean up!” She pushed me slightly.

“Alright, alright. I’ll be quick.” I said, running into the toilet.

***
“Stop laughing at me!!” I pouted when she laughed at me for the umpteen times.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She pinched my cheek, still laughing.

“I’m worried, alright? How would I know!?” I grumbled.

It has been a few hours and her contractions were getting closer. She seemed like she was in a lot of pain. I panicked at every sound she made and ended up being the victim of her jokes because she tried to scare me and each time I fell for it.

“Don’t scare me like that. Haven’t you heard of the story of the boy who cried wolf?” I asked.

“You would still freak out no matter how many times I scare you.” She stuck out her tongue.

“Don’t take advantage of me!” I said.

“Okay, okay ahhhhhh~” She squeezed her eyes shut, her grip on my hand tightening.

“Should I call the doctor now!?” I yelled.

She looked up at me and burst into laughter.

“MINJI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I yelled.

She suddenly stop laughing, and then grabbed onto my hand, her nails digging into my skin.

“Minji?” I asked, not sure if I should panic or not.

She looked up at me, face scrunched up in discomfort.

“I’m not… kidding this time.” She muttered out before screaming in pain, shocking me.

I ran out of the room like a mad man, yelling for the doctor.

***
“What do I do?” I was confused.

Minji was screaming and grabbing my hand while the doctor was all over the place.

“Calm down, darling. Shhh~” I tried to comfort her.

“CALM DOWN!? YANG SEUNGHO!? CALM DOWN!?” She screamed, grabbing my hair.

“Ahhhh!!" I screamed as she shook my head.

“You’re breaking his neck!” The gynae yelled, prying Minji’s hands off me.

“Hur~~” Minji started crying.

“I’m here. I’m here. Don’t cry. Shhh~” I hugged her.

“What do we do now?” I asked the doctor while Minji dug her nails into every part of my body.

“This is it, Seungho. This is what you guys chose. I prepared two bags of blood, just in case. Hopefully we would not need it, but… who knows?” The gynae said.

“Okay. Then what can I do?” I asked.

“Stay with her.” She smiled as she went to do her thing.

Minji was a yelling and crying mess. She abused me every time I tried to calm her down. Now I can understand why Junhyung came out of the delivery room full of injuries and looking more tired than Haneul.

“IT’S YOUR FAULT!!!!” Minji glared at me, smacking me on my head.

“Yes. I’m sorry.” I wiped her tears.

She glared at me, and then pulled me into a tight hug. I let her bite me while I her back, in hope to calm her down.

Hours passed, but pain was about all she experienced. This baby is one difficult one. Minji was getting weaker and the gynae was worried. So was I.

“Minji, why not we…” Her glare cut me off before I could finish.

“No, Seungho. I’m doing this. If you don’t want to watch, you can get out. But don’t try to change my mind. Remember your promise.” She said.

“I rather you hate me than lose you here. Can’t you understand me!? What is the difference between natural birth and cesarean!? It’s still bringing our baby to life!” I got angry.

“GET OUT! GET OUT IF YOU DON’T WISH TO BE HERE!” She pushed me.

The heart rate machine suddenly started beeping loudly.

“Her blood pressure is dropping. Calm her down.” The gynae said.

“Okay, okay. Calm down, darling. I’m here. We’ll do this together. Calm down, please.” I said, squeezing her trembling hand.

“Uh oh~” The gynae looked at me, face pale.

“What?” I asked.

“She’s bleeding.” She said.

I pressed my forehead against Minji’s.

“Stay strong, darling. Stay strong, please.” I pleaded.

“I think we should…” I interrupted the gynae before she could continue.

“No. No. No. Please. No. Let her do this. I believe she can. Please.” I said, but inside I was unsure too.

Minji looked at me with a pained expression.

“I’m with you.” I kissed her cheek.

“If she doesn’t make it, both the baby and her will die!” The gynae raised her voice.

I looked at Minji. She shook her head, her expression pleading me.

“Minji can do this.” I said, biting my lower lip.

“The both of you are insane.” I heard the gynae mutter.

“Don’t give your mummy a hard time please.” I said, my hand caressing Minji’s belly.

Minji looked at me weakly. She had no more strength to scream or abuse me anymore.

“You promise me you stay strong, okay?” I said, wiping off her tears and sweat.

She nodded.

“Give a little strength, Minji.” The gynae said.

Minji was trying, but she did not have much strength left, plus the blood loss was doing her more harm than good.

“We’re out of blood.” One of the nurses said.

“Go get somemore!” The gynae shouted.

“We can’t.” The nurse said timidly.

The gynae looked at me. Minji was on the verge of passing out. Even if I agreed on cesarean now, she might not know until she wakes up.

“Seungho, this is not a game. Everyone is on the losing end here if you don’t make the choice. You’ll lose both your girl and your baby.” The gynae said.

I was tempted to give in, but Minji’s grip on my shoulder prevented me from doing so.

“She is losing blood rapidly and the baby is not even half way here. She’s going to die even before the baby arrives. Please.” The gynae said.

“All you need is blood, right?” I said.

“But we don’t have any!” She got angry.

“Why not? You have an entire blood supply standing right here.” I said, rolling up my sleeves.