Help

Crazy?

Seungho’s POV

Although her father was a hateful person, it was still painful to watch a once full of pride man now become weak because of treatment and medication. It has been almost a week since Minji found out about her father’s illness and every day we visited the hospital, but never once did she go into the room to make her presence known.

‘I cannot bear to see him in this state.’ She always says.

We would stay for a while, then we would leave. But today is different. Today, we took Minki with us.

“Give me a minute.” Minji said, leaning against the wall, her face buried in her palms.

Minki looked at me curiously, and then struggled to get down from my arms. When I let her down, she walked over to Minji and hugged her legs without saying anything.

“Let’s go.” Minji said, taking Minki’s hand into hers.

“Okay.” I smiled, heading for the exit.

“Where are you going?” She asked.

“I thought you said to go?” I asked.

“Inside, silly.” She laughed.

“Oh.” I bit my lower lip as I took Minki’s other hand into mine.

“Sure?” I asked her as we stood outside the room door.

She nodded, and knocked the door once. She pushed opened the door and we saw him resting on the bed. He opened his eyes slightly, but when he saw us, he sat up. He looked surprised.

“Minki, say hello.” I said.

Minki smiled and waved to him. He stared at her, and then back at us.

“She’s our daughter. The one whom you told me died.” Minji said.

I rested my hand on her back, pulling her a little closer to me.

“Your… daughter?” He muttered.

“How are you feeling?” I asked him.

He glared at me, but he cannot scare me anymore, not because he is weak, but because I have nothing to fear now. I will not be submissive anymore. I will fight for Minji.

Minki pulled away from our grip and went nearer to him. He looked at her, looking as thou he want to touch her but did not dare to.

She tilted her head to the side, looking at him.

“Are you okay?” She asked, blinking at him.

His lips curled up into a wide smile. This is the first time I see him smile genuinely.

“Yes, my dear. I am.” He said, patting her head lightly.

“You don’t have to be so afraid to touch her. She wouldn’t break, neither is leukemia contagious.” I said.

“I can hold her?” He asked, looking at Minji.

“She’s your granddaughter, whether you like it or not.” Minji said.

“Can I carry you?” He asked Minki.

Minki raised her arms. He was a little weak because of treatment, but when I stepped forward to help him, he smacked my arm away. Minji almost snapped at him, but I shook my head at her.

“Go on, talk to him.” I whispered to her as we watch him play with Minki.

She looked at me, and then went closer to him.

“How are you feeling?” I heard her ask him.

I leaned against the wall, watching them talk. To be honest, I felt left out, but it was fine. I was happy at the fact Minji was at least talking to him.

We went back to the hospital every day, taking Minki with us. Minji would talk to him while Minki would sit on the bed, playing with him. I would stand at the side, minding my own business. He would glare at me at times. To say that it does not hurt would be a lie, but I tried to not be affected by it. Besides, it is not new information that he hates me.

“Seungho!” Minji shook me.

“Huh?” I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Let’s go.” She said.

“Oh okay.” I muttered.

“Rest well. See you tomorrow.” I bowed to him.

“I’ll be better if I didn’t see you.” He said.

“That’s too bad for you.” I smiled, walking out before he could say anything.

“Sorry.” Minji said, holding my hand.

“For what?” I asked.

“My father was being an idiot.” She said.

“It’s nothing new.” I said.

“Are you angry?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“You cannot lie to me.” She said.

I sighed and looked away.

“Minki sweetie, go over there to play.” Minji said, pointing at the play area.

Minki ran over excitedly while Minji stood in front of me.

“I know you’ve been enduring.” She said, squeezing my arm.

“It’s really okay.” I mumbled.

“You can snap at him, you know.” She said.

“Why should I?” I asked.

“He’s rude.” She said.

“I don’t want to be a bad example for Minki.” I said.

She laughed and hugged me.

“So it was for Minki~” She said.

“And you too.” I held onto her tighter.

“Hug hug!!” We heard Minki’s voice.

We looked over to find her pouting at us with her arms wide open.

“Of course! How could we leave you out?” I said, gesturing her over.

“Haneul’s right.” Minji mumbled.

“What?” I asked, carrying Minki so she would be in the middle of us.

“Nothing.” She smiled, kissing Minki on her cheek.

“Shall we squeeze Minki!?” She asked me.

“Yes!” I smiled.

Minki laughed as the both of us tightened our arms around her.

***
“Why is it only you?” Minji’s father’s smile died down when he saw that it was just me.

“Disappointed?” I asked.

“Nope. But more like disgusted.” He said.

“I’ll make this quick then.” I said.

“What?” He asked, as cocky as ever.

“I talked to your doctor, did the necessary tests, and I might be able to save you.” I said.

He stared at me, not the glaring kind, but more like shocked.

“You? Save me?” He asked in a mocking tone when he regained his composure.

I crossed my arms, looking at him.

“I’m sure you don’t wish to die before seeing your granddaughter grow up, right?” I asked.

“Why do you want to save me? Shouldn’t you be happy that I am dying?” He asked.

“Of course I would be happy if you died, the fact you tormented me so much, but I wouldn’t want to be happy at the expense of Minji.” I said.

“Minji, Minji, Minji. Do you really take me for a fool? What do you exactly want? Why are you clinging onto Minji for? Don’t you remember your promise to me?” He asked.

“Of course I do remember, and now that we’re talking about it, how dumb was I at that point of time. Plus, not everyone is like you, always plotting something.” I said.

He narrowed his eyes at me.

“What makes you think I would accept your help?” He asked.

“I don’t know. If you love Minji enough, perhaps you would consider putting your pride down and accepting my help. Do you love her enough?” I asked.

He pursed his lips into a thin line, glaring at me.

“But I sure do love her enough to find ways to force my bone marrow into you just so you can live a little longer despite the fact I wish you were dead.” I said.

“Why force yourself?” He asked.

“Isn’t it obvious? Have you never loved anyone? Your wife? Your daughters? No?” I asked.

“Perhaps not, because if you do, we’ll not be having this conversation.” I said.

“Two years ago, you don’t deserve Minji. Now, it’s still the same.” He said.

“Say whatever you want to put me down. Yes, I’m not as rich as you, not as powerful as you. But I worked my way up to gain my reputation today, I worked my way up to gain Minji’s love and trust. I may not be ‘good enough’ in your eyes, but I’m proud of myself. At least, I did not let myself down.” I said.

He stared at me.

“I’m doing this not for you, but for Minji and Minki.” I said, heading for the door.

 “How is it that you can endure all the insults I throw at you?” He asked.

“Endure? I’m hurting inside while you are having so much fun. I wish I can stab you to death.” I said.

“Then why are you sacrificing yourself?” He asked.

“Two years ago, you’re stupid. Now, you’re the same. How many times do I have to tell you before it could get into the thick skull of yours? For the ones you love, nothing is not worth sacrificing.” I said.

“Does she know?” He asked.

“About what?” I asked.

“You, bone marrow.” He said.

“She doesn’t, yet. But I’ll talk to her.” I said.

“What if she doesn’t agree?” He asked.

“Do you think she’ll let you die?” I asked.

“Do you think she’ll let you die?” He asked back.

“Ultimately, blood is thicker than water.” I said.

“Why do you help Minji and I patch things up despite knowing that I might never like you?” He asked.

“Why do you have so much questions?” I asked.

He said nothing.

“Because, I know how it feels to be hated by your own flesh and blood.” I said.

He looked at me, jaw dropped a little.

“Rest well. Until then, you cannot afford to fall sick.” I said before leaving.

***
“DO YOU THINK YOU’RE A WALKING SUPPLY OF BONE MARROW!? ARE YOU MAD!?” Minji shouted as she slapped me across my cheek.

She got worked up when I told her about donating my bone marrow to her father.

“Technically, I am a walking supply of bone marrow.” I mumbled, holding onto my stinging cheek.

She whacked me with the cushion and glared at me.

“NO! NO! Stop doing things like that! NO!” She yelled.

“Minji, why? I could save him? Do you not trust me?” I asked.

“I cannot afford to lose you! Don’t you understand!?” She cried.

“But you cannot afford to lose your father too, right?” I asked, pulling her into my embrace.

She tried to push me away, but I held onto her tightly. Eventually, she sank into my embrace, crying.

“Nothing would go wrong, darling. Look, I’m fine now after donating my bone marrow to you. It’ll be the same this time. Perhaps even better, because I have you with me.” I said.

“Tsk~ Why did you dodge when I slapped you?” She asked after she calmed down, touching my cheek.

“Why should I dodge it?” I asked.

“Are you stupid or what?” She pouted.

“Don’t you remember that stupidity is one of the characteristics of a panpy?” I asked.

She chuckled and kissed me where she slapped.

“Sorry.” She apologized.

“It’s okay.” I assured her.

“Promise me you’ll not let anything happen to yourself.” She said.

“Why not instead promise me you’ll not let anything happen to me?” I asked.

“Okay. I promise.” She kissed me on my lips.

I circled my arms around her waist, pulling her to sit on my lap as I let myself fall onto the couch. Since Minki was asleep in the room, we could kiss without her appearing out of nowhere.

“I miss you.” I mumbled in between our kiss.

“I love you.” She replied, biting my lower lip, kissing me further.