Fools

Crazy?

Minji’s POV

“CALM DOWN!!!” Haneul and Junhyung yelled in unison.

Calm down? How could I calm down hearing such absurd news?

“Ya~” Loki said before I could continue yelling.

That boy’s words had some strange magic that made me want to listen to him.

I sighed and let Haneul push me back onto the bed. I winced when my stomach area hurt.

“Are you okay? Should I call the doctor?” Haneul asked worriedly.

I shook my head.

“But you need to tell me everything.” I muttered.

She smiled awkwardly at me, and then turned to Junhyung.

“I’ll… be back later.” Junhyung said, carrying Loki as he headed out.

“YA~~~~~~~~~~” Loki yelled.

“Tsk!” Junhyung frowned, but giggled at his son’s cuteness.

Of course, who could get angry with that boy?

“So? What happened?” I asked, turning back to Haneul who was staring at her hands as thou she has never seen them before.

“You… needed it.” She mumbled.

“It’s not a valid reason, damn it.” I said, trying not to be agitated. After all, it was not her fault.

“You were in a bad shape, Minji. We could lose you, any time.” She said, looking at me sadly.

‘You guys would still lose me any time now.’ I wanted to say, but kept it to myself instead. Those brainless words hurt Seungho all the time, I do not need it to hurt another innocent soul.

“Your liver was deteriorating, at a scary speed.” She said softly.

“And then?” I asked.

“And then… This.” She said.

“Did someone suggest it to him?” I asked.

She shook her head.

“I heard that he asked to do it. No one suggested it to him. Although Seungho doesn’t study medicine, he knows a lot of stuff. He’s like… some sort of walking encyclopaedia. And even if he didn’t know about it, to save you, he’ll find another way apart from just waiting.” She said.

“And that’s what I hate.” I muttered.

“Seungho loves you, Minji ah.” She said.

“You think I don’t know!?” I snapped.

Her expression dropped, and I guilt washed over me.

“Just… I…” I muttered, not knowing what to say to Haneul’s sad face.

“Love is really an evil emotion, you know.” She said softly.

“What?” I asked, unsure of what I just heard. Did she say love is an evil emotion?

“Love is an evil emotion. It takes away all your rationality and choices. It makes you just want to give up anything and everything for the person you love. It is not done on purpose. It is so natural sometimes you don’t even realize you are doing it. It is not sacrifice anymore. It is part of you.” She said.

I stared at her blankly.

“Don’t blame or get angry at Seungho for doing something like that, although it is shocking and really… weird, instead of diamonds and rubies he gives you his blood and liver. He does it not because he wants you to feel like you owe him anything, or he wants the attention of the world, he does it because it’s so natural for him. Love is an evil emotion, but it is beautiful too.” She said.

“I don’t want him to do something like this.” I said softly, wincing inwardly at the pain he must be going through now.

“I said, it is natural, don’t you understand? And think about this, if in reverse, it was him who needs the liver badly, would you be the first one to volunteer and give him half of yours?” She asked.

“Of course!” I blabbered without even thinking.

“See~” She said with a slight smile.

“But…” I muttered.

“Love turns us into fools. Willing fools.” She said.

I sighed and closed my eyes. I thought she would say something, but to my surprise, she kept quiet. I opened my eyes to find her looking down at her palms.

“Are you… upset?” I asked.

“For what?” She asked, looking at me, genuinely curious.

“I snapped at you just now. I’m sorry.” I said.

She smiled and shook her head.

“I snap at people all the time, and I don’t say sorry. So that’s fine.” She laughed.

I rolled my eyes and laughed.

“I want to see Seungho.” I said.

She stopped laughing and looked at me with head cocked to the side.

“I want to see Seungho.” I said again, thinking she might not have understand me.

“I know, I heard. But… You…” She muttered, looking at my body.

“I’ve been through things like this countless times.” I said.

Her eyes widened.

“Ahh~ I don’t mean I have had my liver changed countless times. I mean… Being in pain, being in the hospital, I’ve experienced it countless times. It’s like part of my life.” I corrected.

She made a soundless ‘ahh~’

“But I doubt it is part of Seungho’s life to have a surgery, to be in the hospital.” I said.

She smiled awkwardly.

“I heard he is not awake. I want to see him, be there when he wakes up.” I said.

She smiled and nodded.

“I’ll go get you a wheelchair or something.” She said, standing up.

“No, please. That thing is ugly. I can walk. I just… need your arm.” I said, gripping onto her hand.

“It’s yours.” She smiled widely.

“Not Junhyung’s?” I .

“Shhh~ Don’t tell him.” She whispered.

“So easily jealous?” I asked.

“Oh, you don’t know.” She said.

We were a laughing mess as we made our way to Seungho’s ward.

When we entered his room, it was awfully quiet. The MBLAQ boys were sitting around, staring into space, while my Seungho was on the bed, eyes closed. The only sound in the room was the beeping of the heart rate machine that was attached to Seungho.

“Minji?” G.O said, looking at me as thou I was not supposed to be here.

“Hi.” I smiled, and then turned back to Seungho, who seemed to peaceful.

“You’re up?” Joon asked, frowning.

“Was I… not supposed to be?” I asked, looking at Haneul, and then back at them.

“No, no! Of course not! I mean…” He muttered, turning to look at Seungho.

“What?” Haneul asked, clearly a little annoyed.

“The doctor said, hyung would be up first. But…” Mir bit his lower lip, looking worriedly at Seungho.

I looked at them, and then headed over to Seungho. My sudden movement must have shocked Haneul because she almost fell. I forgot that our arms were linked and wherever I go, she would go too.

“Sorry.” I muttered.

She shook her head.

I sat down beside Seungho, cupping his cold cheek lightly. Usually, it would be warm. But apart from that, he look no different from how he looked like when I watch him sleep either at my place or his.

“Maybe… I slept enough, that’s why… I’m up first.” I said.

“He was supposed to be up a few hours ago.” G.O said.

“Maybe… I’ll get the doctor.” I heard Haneul say.

I intertwined my fingers with Seungho’s, squeezing his hand gently as I lean in closer to him.

“Lucky, can you hear me?” I whispered into his ear.

“Darling, what’s wrong with you? Please wake up already. You can sleep later after you let me know you’re okay. Lucky, please.” I continued to whisper.

I planted a soft kiss onto his cheek.

“Lucky, wake up.” I said softly.