Trying hard

Crazy?

Seungho’s POV

“Mmm~” I answered the phone, not bothering to look at who the caller was.

“Seunghoieeeeeee~” I heard Minji’s voice through the speaker.

I smiled to myself and reached for the table lamp with my eyes closed.

“Are you asleep?” She asked.

“No, no. I’m up.” I said, smacking my cheeks.

“That’s very good!” She exclaimed.

“You want something?” I asked, taking a glance at the time.

3.50AM.

“I feel like having bibimbap and kimchi pancakes!” She said.

“Alright. From which store?” I asked, putting on my clothes.

“Seungho’s.” She said.

“Eh?” I asked, confused.

“I want the one you made.” She said.

“Me?” I asked.

“Yea. Don’t you remember? You cooked it for me once!” She said.

“I… I remember. Of course I do. But..” I hurried to the kitchen to see what we got.

“You don’t want to make them for me?” She asked, sounding disappointed.

“No, no! Of course I’ll make them for you. But I have nothing.” I said, staring at our ever-empty fridge.

“I’ll go check if Haneul has anything!” She said.

“Ahh no no. Don’t bother walking down. I’ll just go buy some ingredients.” I said.

“Really!? You’re da best!” She said.

“Get some sleep first, alright? I’ll be there soon.” I said.

“See you later, Lucky!” She ended the call.

The biggest problem I have now actually was not that I did not have the ingredients, it was that I have no idea how I made those the other time. The two dishes were randomly made with whatever we had in the fridge because we were so hungry but lazy to actually go out for food. But whatever it is, I had to try anyway.

I headed to a 24-hour supermarket and grabbed whatever ingredients I could remember. When I arrived at Junhyung’s place, Minji was in the living room, hugging a teddy bear.

“Hello, cutie. I thought I asked you to get some sleep?” I asked.

“I couldn’t sleep. I’m so hungry.” She pouted.

“Aww did they starve my darling? Do I need to murder someone” I asked, kissing her on her cheek.

“Hahaha no!” She smacked my chest lightly.

“Get some rest while I go cook.” I said.

I headed into the kitchen and poured out all the ingredients I bought onto the table.

“I anticipate!” Minji beamed.

I forced a smile at her but sighed when my back face her. That statement was supposed to make me happy, but I felt pressurized instead.

If the food did not turn out the way she liked it, she would get angry. If I gave up now, she would get even angrier. I had to try anyway. Perhaps it would work better if I cooked the meal without thinking so much, like how I did the other time, just dumping in whatever we got, not expecting any taste.

“Are you like almost done?” She asked after about half an hour, sounding a little irritated.

“Yes, yes. Just give me a little while more.” I said, perspiring like a pig from both the heat and nervousness.

She sighed and sat down at the dining table.

“Here.” I said, putting the plate of kimchi pancake down.

“Yay! Smells damn good!” She said excitedly.

I watch in worry as she shoved a slice of it into . I felt as nervous as the first time I met Rain hyung. I avoided looking at her expression and concentrated on mixing the rice.

“How.. how is it?” I asked timidly.

“Erm…” She did not look like the happiest person.

“Is it.. not good?” I asked.

“No, no. It’s really nice. Except that it doesn’t taste like before. It’s like missing something. I don’t know what.” She said.

“Maybe it was slightly more burnt the other time. This is just fine.” I said.

“Maybe.” She shrugged as she continued to eat.

“Are you upset? I’m sorry.” I said.

She smiled and shook her head. I smiled back, feeling slightly relived. But the main point was not the kimchi pancake, it was the bibimbap.

“Is that done?” She asked, pointing at the bowl in my hand.

“Yes.” I said, handing the bowl to her.

She grabbed the bowl from me and started digging in. I watch nervously as she ate. I felt like a student who was waiting for the teacher to grade my final assignment. Everything else does not matter as this held the most points.

“How…?” I asked, not able to even complete my sentence.

“Why does it not taste the same?” She pouted, dropping the spoon.

“I… I’m sorry. Honestly, I really had no idea how I made it the other time. It was… random.” I said.

“How could you not remember? You were the one who cooked it.” She flicked the spoon.

“Like I said, the other time it was cooked impromptu. And besides, food can’t taste exactly the same all the time, right?” I tried to reason.

“Of course. The taste of food gets better, but why does yours get worse?” She asked.

Although I know she did not mean it, I cannot help but feel hurt.

“I am sorry. Why not I go buy it for you instead?” I asked.

“I don’t want any from outside!” She got angry.

“Then what do you want me to do?” I asked, trying to calm myself down.

“Nothing! Nothing!” She pushed the bowl towards me and stomped off.

“Minji, don’t yell. It’s not good for you.” I said, grabbing her hand.

“Why can’t I yell!? If I keep my anger inside, isn’t it even worse!?” She snapped.

“Haneul, Junhyung and the kids are sleeping upstairs.” I tried to hush her.

“So you’re worried about them, huh?” She asked, glaring at me.

“It’s not that. Let’s go out for food hmm? You’re hungry, aren’t you?” I coaxed her.

“I’m full just by looking at your face!” She pushed me.

I stumbled backwards. I buried my face in my palms and sighed.

“What do you want from me, Minji?” I asked.

“Are you feeling tired of me already? I’m troublesome, I’m irritating, I boss you around. You’re annoyed, aren’t you?” She asked.

“I’m not.” I said, looking at her tiredly.

“Then what’s with your attitude?” She asked.

“My attitude?” I asked.

“If you’re unwilling, you can always tell me. It’s fine, you know. You don’t have to force yourself to do things against your wishes. I rather you not cook if you were going to cook rubbish like that.” She said.

Did she just call my effort rubbish? I kept quiet, looking down. Her words felt more like a thousand paper cuts than a hard stab.

“I’m trying, Minji. Can’t you at least acknowledge that?” I asked.

“Trying? Really?” She scoffed.

“I have never been a father before. I don’t know how to please women when they are pregnant. I really don’t. I’m new to this. I try my best to fulfill whatever requests you have, but I hope you also realize that I’m only human and there is a limit to the things I can do. I wish I could get you whatever you want in a snap of my fingers but darling I’m no genie. I need time too. Sometimes I’m a bit slow, sometimes I don’t get what you want, but can’t you settle for the second best?” I said.

“I know it’s not your fault that you’re behaving like this. You’re new to this pregnancy thing too and you’re having a much harder time as compared to me. It’s tiring for you, I know, I understand. But I’m really, really trying my best. Would you please forgive me for whatever mistakes I have made and might make in future? Please?” I asked, holding onto her hands tightly.

She did not look at me. She was looking down at my hands, touching me lightly.

“Darling, I’m so sorry.” I apologized again.

“No. I’m sorry.” She said, finally looking at me. Tears stained her cheeks.

“Why are you crying? Don’t cry, my love. Please don’t.” I hugged her.

“I am a selfish . I am self centered and all I ever thought of was myself. I never saw how tired you are until just now when I took a good look at your face while you spoke. You never slept well ever since I got pregnant, am I right? I’m always waking you up in the middle of the night, asking you for this and that. It kind of slipped my mind that your job isn’t the nine to five kind. I’m sorry. I scream at you for nothing, hit you for things that isn’t exactly your fault. You never complained, so I took it as if you are okay with it, but I know you’re not. I kind of forgot that you’re human. I’m so sorry.” She said, caressing my cheek.

“It’s fine. It really is. I do admit that when you call me at 2AM to ask for stuff, I groan because I’m so damn sleepy. But seeing you eat so happily, it doesn’t matter anymore. Your smile is enough. Really.” I said, pressing her palm against my cheek.

“I don’t want to smile alone. I want to smile with you.” She said.

I smiled and rested my palm on the top of her head, playing with her bangs.

“Lucky, in future if I become a again, please smack some sense into me. Don’t keep it to yourself.” She said.

I shook my head and kissed her on her cheek.

“And actually, the bibimbap and kimchi pancake taste really good.” She said, walking back to the dining table.

“Don’t force yourself to eat it if it’s not nice.” I said quietly.

“It doesn’t taste the best, to be honest.” She said.

I smiled awkwardly at her.

“But it taste like home. A warm, cozy feeling.” She said, shoving a spoonful of rice into .

“It’s the best food in the world, because it’s cooked with your love.” She said as she continued to eat.

I looked at her eat. My heart felt a little strange.

“Are you going to cry again?” She asked with full.

I laughed and shook my head.

“Just…” I muttered, sitting beside her.

“Just what?” She asked, feeding me a spoonful of rice.

“Just.. It’s amazing how you can kill and revive me with your words at the same time.” I said.

She laughed and smacked my thigh.

***
“Minji! Minji! Look at this!” I said excitedly, waving a teddy bear in her face.

“Enough of teddies!!!” She laughed.

“But why!? It’s so cute! Our baby would love it!” I said, making the teddy nod.

“See, even teddy agrees.” I said.

“But you took like five already!” She said.

“This is extremely cute! Please!” I begged.

“You said the same thing for the last teddy!” She pulled out a teddy bear from the cart and shove it into my face.

“This is a different type of cuteness.” I grinned, holding both teddies.

“No, Seungho. Put it back. Our baby don’t need so much teddy bears.” She said.

“What? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!” I chased after her, begging her.

“Stop it! You’re creating a scene.” She hissed.

“Then let me buy it.” I said.

“No.” She said firmly.

I threw the teddy bear into the cart anyway and pouted at her. She looked at the cart and then at me.

“How old are you?” She asked, chuckling.

“I’m buying it for my baby, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing is wrong. But five teddy bears in one shopping, really?” She asked.

“Yea. Really.” I said.

She rolled her eyes and walked off, but did not take the teddy bear out.

“Yes~” I cheered softly to myself.

“Minji, Minji! How about that…” Before I could finish, she shot me a glare.

“Enough, Seungho, Enough. Of. Teddy. Bears.” She said.

“But it’s very cute.” I said sadly.

“Every single bear is cute to you. Do you want to buy the whole rack?” She asked.

“May I?” I asked.

She grabbed my head and shook me hard.

“E. N. O. U. G. H. ENOUGH!” She shouted.

People around were giggling at us.

“Alright, alright.” I pouted.

“I just wanted to buy something for our baby. How often is it that we get to go shopping together? Can’t I even buy our baby something? Why are you so mean? Our baby will hate me.” I mumbled.

She stopped and turned to look at me with a frown on her face.

“Seungho. One more word from you, I’ll make you eat all these teddy bears, okay?” She said with an evil smile.

I looked down and kicked the ground, feeling like a boy who got scolded by his mother at the mall.

“You don’t have to buy the whole store to prove that you love our baby. Everyone knows how much you love our baby.” She said.

“I just want to do something.” I said.

“You’re already doing something, but don’t go overboard. Our baby will not appreciate it if you turn his or her room into a teddy bear store.” She said.

“Fine, fine.” I muttered.

“Come on, stop pouting. Shall I buy you a toy car? Or a robot?” She asked, picking up random toys to poke me with it.

“I don’t want.” I laughed, grabbing the toys from her.

“But maybe Loki, Tae Hyun and Ji Eun would like it…” I said, continuing to look at the toys.

“Buy whatever you want.” She said.

“Really!?” I looked at her, excited.

“But not for baby. Enough for today.” She pointed a warning finger before heading off to somewhere else.

“I’ll buy for baby tomorrow then!”  I said.

She turned back to make faces at me before walking off while I stayed behind at the toys session to look for toys for the kids.

***
“You guys really don’t want to know the gender?” Her gynae asked us for the third time since she mention that the baby’s gender could be tell.

“Nope.” We smiled.

We wanted it to be a surprise. Besides, we have no preference. Boy or girl don’t matter. A healthy baby is enough.

“Alright, then.” She smiled.

“How’s the baby?” I asked.

“Looking good. But Minji you need to take extra care this coming month. You’re a little weaker now as compared to before huh? As your due date gets closer, you’ll find yourself weaker given your condition. It’s going to be hard, but don’t try to endure anything. If you don’t feel well, come to the hospital right away.” She said.

“Alright.” I answered for Minji.

The two females looked at me and laughed.

“What?” I asked, looking at them briefly before turning back to look at the screen.

It is amazing that Minji’s belly is so huge while the baby seems so tiny.

“Hi, baby~” I said softly, poking the screen.

“Are you crazy?” Minji laughed, knocking my head lightly with her knuckles.

“A little bit.” I grinned.

“You can continue to look at the baby while I go get some papers.” She said, leaving Minji and I alone.

“Isn’t it amazing? Look. So cute.” I said, poking the screen again.

“You’re cuter.” Minji said.

“No, no, no.” I wiggled my finger at her.

We fascinated ourselves by staring at our baby move inside the belly, squealing at every action he or she made.

“So, Minji, have you decided on the date?” The gynae asked as she came back.

“What date?” Minji asked.

“For your cesarean.” She said.

“Oh.” I looked at Minji, who smiled.

“Who said anything about cesarean?” Minji asked.

“Huh?” The gynae looked at me, confused. I was confused too.

“I’m going for natural birth.” Minji smiled, patting her belly lightly.

Welcome to Suicide Plan Ver. 2.0, upgraded with deadlier moves and crazier decisions.

***
I'm sorry I made time fly so fast here. I have no idea what to write except Minji yelling at Seungho. It would get annoying if she yells at him over everything for ten chapters, right? And also, I'm kinda wanting to finish this story haa so :) But let me compensate you with a 'asdfghjkl!!! so damn hot photo' of Yang Leader XD Well, at least I found myself staring at it and grinning for a while~

tumblrmcmx4dlhi91rn2xm9.jpg