I Did This?

Still Alive

I kept my eyes closed. My head was pounding. I heard shouts and running. I heard sirens. What happened?

“Hey! Are you okay?” A voice yelled running over to me. He opened the door and grabbed onto my arm. “Hey! Are you okay?” He quickly asked again.

I opened my eyes and looked around. I saw the taxi driver holding onto my arm. I looked in front of me to see smoke coming up from the hood of my car… Which was smashed into the back of the taxi.

“What happened?” I asked slowly getting out of the car with the guy’s help. I turned around remembering I felt my car run over something. I saw a guy on the ground bleeding, not moving. “Oh my god….” I said softly. “Did I…”

The taxi driver looked at me. “Maybe you should sit down on the sidewalk.” He said leading me over to the curb. People were gathering around. I slowly sat down as the taxi driver went back over to the motorcyclist.

I looked around and people were looking at me. I quickly brought my knees up to my chest and buried my face in my hands. I could hear whispers, people saying. ‘Oh my god! That’s BIGBANG’s Daesung!’ The whispers felt like they were getting louder and louder. I wanted to scream, but someone placed their hand on my shoulder. The whispers suddenly stopped as I looked up.

“Sir are you okay? Do you need a paramedic to look at you?” A police officer asked. I looked at him and then behind him. The ambulance and a few cop cars were already here. I looked at the officer again and shook my head.

“No…” I quietly said burying my face back into my hands.

“Oh my god!” A woman cried loudly. I looked up from my hands and over to the motorcyclist who was now covered with a white blanket. A woman was crying over his body and a younger man was trying to pull her away. “My son!” She cried.

I slowly stood up and the police officer kept his hands on my arm. I kept looking over at the woman. “I need… I need to get my phone.” I said to the officer. He nodded and led me back to my car.

The woman looked over and saw me, she quickly stood up and ran over. “You did this! You did! Didn’t you!” She yelled. The police officer stood between her and I. “You killed my son!” She yelled.

The younger boy pulled the woman away. The officer looked at the woman. “Ma’am your son was already on the ground from a previous accident.” He tried explaining to her.

“How do you know that!” She yelled at the officer, then pointed at me. “How do you know HE didn’t kill him!”

I looked at her and shook my head. “I...I didn’t” I quickly said.

“Ma’am… The taxi driver can confirm it. He saw your son on the ground and swerved out of the way.” He said calmly.

“I didn’t see him.” I said softly. The officer looked at me and then back at her. “I...I swear.” I quickly said hiding behind he officer.

The lady pushed her way over to me, I yelped but then her son came over and pulled her back. “Mom, come on… Just leave him alone.” He said softly. She looked up at me and gave me a nasty look. She turned around and walked away with her son. I backed up against my car and slid down on the ground.

People were taking pictures of me, but I hid my face in my hands. The officers walked over and shooed the people away. Another officer came over. “We need you to come with us.” He said softly.

I looked up at him. “what? Why?” I asked.

“Just simply for questioning.”He answered me.

I looked back at the ground and sighed. “Okay.”

“Just grab what you need and meet us over by that squad car.” He said before walking away.

I watched him leave and shakingly stood up. I held onto the car for support and opened the passenger door. I grabbed my phone. The rose I got from the store was on the floor, the petals falling off. I closed the door and slowly walked to the trunk. As I opened it, an elderly woman walked over.

“Are you okay?” She asked.

I got startled and turned around to see her. I looked back in my trunk. “Yeah… I’m fine.” I said under my breath. She walked over some more as I closed the trunk and opened up the back passenger door.

“It’s okay… to be scared.” She then said to me.

I didn’t look at her or even respond to her. I grabbed something from the backseat and then closed the door. She looked inside the window of the car and saw that I had a bible on the backseat.

“You believe?” She said referring to my bible. I looked at her and the at the book through the window.

“I did.” I said softly.

“I forgive you.” She said softly.

“What?” I quickly replied. “What do you mean?”

“I forgive you… Because the Lord would have forgiven you too.” she said again.

I just looked at her and then turned away. “Yeah okay.” I muttered. I started to walk, but then she took a step towards me.

“Everything will be okay. You should be happy, it is not your fault this happened. You are a good boy and the Lord will do good things with you. Don’t let the devil bring you down.” She said softly before walking the other way.

I stood there and bit my lips. I felt a tear fall down my cheeks. I looked up and blinked a couple of times to clear my vision before walking to the police officers car.

-----Mr.Yang’s home-----

It was 2:00 in the morning with Mr. Yang got a call. He tuned on the lamp next to the bed and slowly got out of bed. He walked to the other side of the room and picked up the phone. By this time his wife was sitting up. Mr. Yang placed the phone against his ear.

“Yobosayo?” He said tiredly into the phone.

“So sorry to bother this late sir, but this important.” The officer said on the other line.

“Who am I speaking to?” Mr. Yang asked.

“Excuse me sir, this is Officer Kwon, down here at the Seoul Police department.” He then said calmly.

“Ah, how may I help you?” Mr. Yang asked.

“There was an accident involving one of your artist which resulted in a death of a motorcyclist.” He replied.

“What? Wait… Who? Mr. Yang asked, more alert now.

“A Kang Daesung.” The officer answered.

Mr. Yang sighed. “Okay, I’ll be right down.” He said softly before hanging up. He tuned around to go and get clothes.

His wife watched him get dressed. “Honey, what happened?”

“Daesung was involved in an accident and he’s at the police station. I’m going down there to see what’s up.” He said softly walking to the door.

“Is he okay??” She quickly asked.

Mr. Yang nodded. “Neh... “ He looked at her. “He’s fine. I’ll be back later.”

-----At the police station-----

I sat in the interrogation room as the officer asked me questions about what happened. I looked up at him each time and then lowered my head when I answered. A few moments later Mr. Yang walked in. He saw me and then I looked up at him.

“Daesung.” He said softly. The officer stood up and walked over to Mr. Yang. “What happened?” Mr. Yang asked the officer.

The officer looked at me and then back at Mr. Yang. “Well he said he was driving behind a taxi when all of a sudden it swerved out of the way. He didn’t see the reason why until after he crashed into the back of the taxi.” He explained.

Mr. Yang nodded and then walked over to me. “Daesung… Are you okay?” He asked me. I looked at him and then nodded. He nodded too and then looked back at the officer. “Is he able to go back home now?”

The officer nodded. “Neh, Let me just have a few words with you and then he can go.” Mr. Yang nodded and then walked out of the office with the officer.

I just sat there staring at the table, what seemed like hours, was only 30 minutes. Mr. Yang came back into the room and he looked at me. “Let’s go Daesung.. I’ll take you back to the dorm.” I looked at him and then slowly stood up. I followed him out of the room.

I’m afraid of how the others are going to react to this. I slowly made my way to the car with Mr. Yang. He was carrying a folder with papers in it. I was scared to ask him what was in there. When we both got in the car he placed the folder in the backseat before he started driving.

I didn’t feel comfortable being in a car right now. Mr. Yang looked at me and noticed my uneasy feeling. “You alright? Do you feel hurt?” He asked. I shook my head and said nothing else. He sighed. “Alright… Well.. They’re going to do an investigation to see if the motorcyclist died from your impact or from his previous accident. They don’t see no reason to put you in custody or whatnot. So just stay home for now and rest.”

I looked at him. “What about my wedding?” I asked softly.

Mr. Yang looked at me for a second before looking back at the road. “We may have to postpone it for a while.” He answered.

I looked away and out the window. I felt my eyes start burning because of the tears starting to form. “Okay.” I choked softly.

He pulled up at the dorm and I sat in the car for a moment. I unbuckled myself and opened the door. “Look Daesung…” I looked back at him. “Everything is going to be okay… alright.” He said softly. I just looked at him and then got out of the car. I closed it and made my way up the stairs.