The Rich and the Poor.

Still Alive

[Daesung’s POV]

I laid awake in my bed and stared at the ceiling…

I’ve been doing a lot of that lately...

The others went out to the store to get stuff for dinner.

 

I wasn’t feeling good so I decided to stay behind and try to rest. I’ve been 22 for a few days now. Nothing really special about that… I’m just getting older. Not wiser… Just… just older.

 

I sighed and closed my eyes, I tried to get myself to sleep but I couldn’t.

 

I tried counting sheep… but I couldn’t… They just kept running off. I frowned while I had my eyes closed. I rolled on my side thinking that would help. It didn’t really…

 

Then I started to think of scenarios that could happen…

Didn’t work.

 

Then I started to make up my own fairy tale. Maybe telling myself a fairy tale story would get me to sleep. Maybe… I said maybe… don’t quote me on that.

 

There once was a prince who was the heir to the whole kingdom of ancient Seoul. He would inherit everything, the castle, the people of ancient Seoul, the money, the staff, the whole land… He would get it all. For the past few days, the prince walked about the castle; back and forth down the hallway, up and down the stairs, to the outside and back. The maid, noticing his habit lately, decided to stop him.
 

‘Your highness what ever are you doing?’ the old maid asked him.

 

The prince stopped his pacing and turned to the older woman. ‘Well what does it look like I am doing? I am in worry! I have great concern! Oh the trouble that falls before me! What will I ever do maid!?’ The prince walked over to the maid and held onto both of her arms and looked down at her.

 

‘Before I give you a suggestion, may I know what is troubling the young prince?’ She asks looking back at him.

 

‘Will you not make fun of me if I tell thee?’ The prince releases the maid’s arms.

 

‘Please enlighten me your highness.’ The maid says softly.

 

The prince turns around and walks to the window and looks out of it. ‘The past few days I have been feeling lonely.’

 

‘Ah! The prince is falling in love?’ The maid smiles.

 

‘No, one cannot fall in love unless he has found someone to do such a thing, to love.’ The prince looks at the maid and the maid frowns. He turns back to face out the window. ‘I fear that no woman would love me for who I actually am, but because I am a prince… I have power, I am handsome, I have money. I fear that is all they will care for and nothing more!’ The prince slams his fists down on the stone window sill.

 

‘Then the prince must find that lady that will do no such thing.’ The maid suggests.

 

‘It is impossible maid… There is no one that lives in all of Seoul that would fit that role. Oh why can’t it be easy and have woman that are like you in the towns?’ The prince asks turning around and looking at the maid.

 

‘Oh but there are, your highness… They’re all over the place. You just don’t notice them because they are of the simplest people. Peasants… They are slaves to the rich.’ The maid explains to him.

 

The prince looks at her, he feels guilty because he knows the maid is practically a slave to him and his father, the rich. The Prince stands up straight.

 

‘Then I shall go out and find that lady.’ The prince nods and starts walking away. ‘Thank you maid, um…’ The prince stops and turns back around to face her. ‘Be sure to take the rest of the day off… Enjoy it okay?’ He turned back around and leaves the hallway.

 

In the closest village there stands a young woman, all covered in dirt. Her hair tied back and a bandana tied around her head. She stands up straight after pushing around the wheel barrel cart full of barrels of wine. She sits down on the stone next to the cart and wipes her forehead.

 

‘Mina! Where are you? I request your presence!’ A taller man looks around.

 

She sighs and stands up. ‘I am over here sir.’ She dusts herself off and looks up as the man approaches her. ‘What ever do you want from me?’ She asks.

 

‘Just to say hi and that mother needs your help in the kitchen.’ The taller boy points back to the house.

 

‘Is it something that she cannot do on her own no?’ Mina asks her brother.

 

‘She says it is very difficult and that only you can perfect it.’ He explains to her.

 

‘Difficult? Perfection is not always tasty… what is it that she is trying to make?’ Mina asks as she picks up her things.

 

‘I don’t know, she just sent me to fetch you.’ Her brother sighs.

 

‘Well you tell mother that I am very busy and it will have to wait.’ Mina laughs and starts walking away.

 

‘Where shall you be then… if she asks that is?’ He asks looking over at her.

 

Mina stops walking and turns back around. ‘I’m going to go and wonder around and enjoy the beautiful day.’ She turns back around and continues on her way.

 

Before she could get very far she is met up with 2 other women who come running at her.

‘Mina! Oh Mina there you are!’ One of them yells running up to her.

 

‘Oh geez.’ Mina stops walking. ‘Why is everyone so interested in me today?’ She asks looking at the two.

 

‘Jia has been proposed too!’ Chaelin yells and squeels.

 

‘Oh yeah? Who is this man you are to be the betrothed too?’ Mina asks crossing her arms and looking at Jia.

 

‘Oh he is of the utmost amazing person I have ever met!’ Jia says dreamily.

 

‘Yes I get that, but who is he Jia?’ Mina asks once more.

 

‘He works down in the marketplace! He is a great with a bow and arrow. He is just… amazing!’ Jia says smiling.

 

Mina sighs and shakes her head, smiling. She goes to say something but sounds of trumpets fill the little village and everyone turns to look.

 

‘All stand still, the prince is coming!’ A soldier yells as he walks ahead of the trumpet group of men.

 

All the villagers whisper to one another.

 

‘I wonder what the prince wants?’ Chaelin asks looking.

 

A moment later the prince come slowly riding on a horse.

He stops the horse once he is in the middle of the village.

 

‘My people! I have come to find me a wife! I’ve heard she is somewhere in this village. I will like to find her and be betrothed to her!’ The prince announces.

 

Mina just stands there and rolls her eyes.

 

‘I am hosting a party in my castle and all the single woman are to attend! I will find my wife and she will be mine.’ The prince announces more.

 

‘What if we do not come? What will become of the single woman who does not show up? Will you have her beheaded?’ Mina steps closer to the prince.

 

The prince makes his horse turn around so he could face her. ‘It is mandatory that you attend…’ The prince speaks to her.

 

‘So what? You’re going to force some poor woman to marry you?’ She argues with him.

 

‘If you shall put it that way, then yes. I am giving a woman that has nothing to be married to someone that has everything.’ The prince speaks.

 

‘I will not attend the dreadful party my lord…’ Mina turns around and walks away.

 

‘Young lady! Do not leave while the prince is in your presence!’ The soldier walks after her.

 

‘Minhyuk let her go… It is quite alright.’ He says looking at him, he then looks over at Mina who is still walking away. ‘Who is that young woman?’ He asks.

 

‘That is Mina, my lord.’ Chaelin says walking.

 

The Prince looks at Chaelin. ‘Is that so?’ He says softly and then looks back up at the path Mina is taking, she was already out of sight.

I felt the front door open and close. That’s when my eyes opened and my dream ended. Now I may never know what will happen to the prince. I heard many footsteps in the hallway and then a few more doors open and close.

I slowly sat up and rubbed my forehead.

 

“Should I start cooking now Hyung?” Someone in the living room asks.

 

“Yeah you can… I’ll go see if Daesung is awake yet.” Another voice said as they got closer to my room.

 

The door opened and they looked at me.

“Oh? You’re awake?” Youngbae looked at me and smiled.

 

I looked over at him and nodded. “Yeah.”

 

“Did you sleep okay?” Youngbae asked.

 

I looked at the wall and then at youngbae. “I actually did sleep okay.” I smiled a little.