I Hope You Can Forgive Me

Still Alive

[Daesung’s POV]


 

“Well… I am on a quest to find myself a wife..” The prince smiled at Jiyong, Mina’s little brother.


 

“Oh really? So you have taken interest in my sister?” Jiyong asks.


 

“She is… what would you say…” The prince goes into thinking mode.


 

“You’re just really desperate…” Mina comes in with some drinks. Jiyong and the prince both turn around to face her. “It’s really sad when the future ruler of the kingdom and is desperate for a wife.”


 

“My lady…” The prince starts out.


 

“Don’t call me ‘your lady’ it’s rude…” Mina says placing the tray of drinks down on the table.


 

“Sister, actually it’s an honor to be called ‘my lady’ by the prince.” He looks at his sister.


 

Mina turns and gives a nasty look to her brother. “Leave.” She stands up straight and points to the stairs.


 

“But sister.” Jiyong objects.


 

“No buts… go…” Mina mutters.


 

“Young boy, I would listen to your sister. We shall talk later.” The prince smiles.


 

“There will be no such thing.” Mina crosses her arms.


 

Jiyong looks at Mina and then at the prince. “I think you should look for a wife elsewhere…” He said softly and walked towards the stairs.


 

“Why do you speak ill of me brother…” Mina calls after him. He turns around.


 

“Because you don’t know a good person when you see it.” He mutters. “Just because you had one bad relationship with some guy doesn’t mean it has to ruin all future relationships.”


 

Mina just looks at him. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” Mina mutters.


 

“What is she talking about exactly?” The prince asks Jiyong.


 

“Don’t you say anything Jiyong.” Mina looks at him.


 

Jiyong gives his sister a look and then looks towards the prince. “My sister was to be engaged with another man. He was one of the richest men in the other town…”


 

“Don’t…. you say another word.” Mina takes a step towards him.


 

Jiyong looks at his sister again. “On the day of their marriage to happen, the rich man sent one of his servants with a letter….”


 

“What did the letter say?” The prince asked.


 

“Don’t say it!” Mina yelled.


 

“The letter said, I am sorry my love. It seems I cannot make it to our wedding. I have a prior engagement to attend to and feel as if this was the best way to tell you. I met this girl and she gave me things you couldn’t give me.” The brother read from memory.


 

With tears in her eyes, Mina stood still with her fists clenched. “Just… stop it!” She yelled.


 

“I felt that we should end our relationship, and what better day than today to tell you… I hope you understand. You’ll find someone better than me… maybe… They won’t fall out of love with you… like I have… I hope you can forgive me... Farewell.” Jiyong said softly.


 

The prince looked between Jiyong and Mina. Mina was breathing heavily. She walked over to her brother and slapped him. “Why do you disobey your sister!”


 

He just looked at her and opened his mouth. He looked towards the prince.


 

“My lady… why do you do such things. Please listen to me… I am not like the man in that letter.” He shakes his head. Mina turns to look at the prince. She points to the door.


 

“Get out…” She seethed through her teeth. The prince stood up.


 

“I will not hurt you like he has done. I am kind.” He said softly.


 

“I said…. get out!” Mina turned and yelled. “Now!”


 

The prince just looked at her and then at Jiyong. “As you wish.” He said softly and turned around. He started for the door and when he reached it he placed his hand on the door knob. “How often, you wonder, has the direction of your life been shaped by such misunderstandings? How many opportunities have you been denied--or, for that matter, awarded--because someone failed to see you properly? How many friends have you lost, how many have you gained, because they glimpsed some element of your personality that shone through for only an instant, and in circumstances you could never reproduce? An illusion of water shimmering at the far bend of a highway.” The prince looked back at Mina, who stood a little more calmly. “Farewell.” The prince bowed his head a little and opened the door. He left.


 

“Wait.” Mina said softly. “Come back.”


 

Come back… please… Please come back. I’m sorry.
********

 

a rush of electricity rushed through my body hitting my heart and my brain and my eyes, ripping them open and sending me gasping for air.

“He’s stable doctor!” One of the nurses yelled. I laid on the table with my eyes half open, looking at the ceiling. They quickly rushed over and placed an oxygen mask on my face.


 

The doctor walked out of the room and everyone turned their attention to him. Seunghyun turned around and looked at the doctor. He quickly walked to him.


 

“How is he!” Seunghyun quickly asked.


 

The doctor looked at him and then at the others. “When he came in he was unresponsive.” He looked at Seunghyun. “He was doa…” He said softly.


 

“Is Daesung dead?” Seunghyun asked, the tears welling up in his eyes.


 

“After several attempts to bring him back failed… We tried one last time and it started his heart back up.” The doctor took off his hat. “We were able to bring him back and the nurses are stabilizing him.”


 

Seunghyun breathed in deep, he was overwhelmed. He backed into the wall and started crying. he covered his face and then moved them away. “Thank you.” He choked through his tears.


 

“You can see him in a couple of hours.” The doctor said softly before walking away.

 

*******
“My prince, is something troubling you?” The old woman servant question walking up to him, carrying a tray.


 

The prince sat at a table, staring down at it, when the servant came over he looked at her. “Oh Mae… Forgive me for not knowing you were here. Oh trouble times has come over him.”


 

“May I ask what has happened my Lord?” She asked setting the tray down.


 

“The woman I seek rejects me and I don’t know why.” The Prince looked back at the table.


 

“How come?” she asks.


 

“A past beloved of hers took her heart and ripped it to shreds… Causing her ideal of love to be corrupted into darkness. Surely I am not like that man that is spoke of? Am I Mae?” He asks the Servant looking at her.


 

“My Lord, it seems as if she is afraid of being hurt again.” She says quietly.


 

“Oh I know that trouble… but how can I fix that.” He sighs.


 

“Life, for the living, is a gift of opportunity; an exercise of the will to choose.” She says taking the cup off the tray and placing it in front of the prince.


 

“What is that to mean?” The Prince asks.


 

“Show her that you are not like the other man.” She smiles.

**********

 

“Daesung? Can you hear me?” A familiar voice interrupted my dream. My dream went dark before I could find out what happens. “Daesung?” There it is again. “Can you open your eyes?” Who is it? “I’m sorry… I’m sorry for acting out like that… I am not like that… I don’t know what came over me. I don’t want to stop loving you… Please…” Seunghyun? “I want to marry you still… Daesung… Please I’m so sorry.” I felt something wet on my cheek. “Please forgive me…” His voice got softer.


I slowly opened my eyes and looked at him. He was holding my hand and his head buried in my chest. “Seunghyun…” I said softly.