OKAY LET'S CAKE!

Love at First Sight

 

At the dorm, Shannon was making cake and Zelo was helping. They were mixing the cake batter when the doorbell rang.

Youngjae came and opened the door, “Jenny? Where’s Jimmy?” Jenny smiled, “Jimmy’s with his friends. May I come in?” she asked politely. Youngjae stepped aside so Jenny can walk in. “What are you here for?” Youngjae asked as he closed the door.

“Shannon was going to make cake today, right? I just came to help her a bit,” she said. “Oh,” Youngjae pointed towards the kitchen, “Shannon and Zelo are already making the cake right now.”

Jenny came in the kitchen when Shannon was going to pour the batter into the pan, “Wait, Shannon! We should add some food coloring in it.” Shannon looked up at Jenny, “Food coloring? I don’t think we have any…” Jenny smiled and held out a small box with bottles of red, blue, green, and yellow food coloring, “Don’t worry, I came prepared.”

========

Jenny looked in her cupboards in the kitchen, “What should I do to sabotage her cake…” she spoke to herself.

She took out many different sauces and ingredients from her kitchen and gathered them on the table. Jenny glanced at the many bottles sitting in front of her. “How am I going to ruin her cake with these? None of these are ingredients for cake.”

Then, she noticed a small box at the corner of the counter. She had only seen it after she took the bottles of sauce off the counter.

Jenny suddenly got an idea. She grabbed the box and opened it, “Food coloring” she smirked to herself.

She twisted open the cap and carefully added vinegar and salt into the tiny bottle. Jenny tested it by putting a drop of red food coloring into a glass of water. The water became red as it should with normal food coloring.

Jenny smirked and added vinegar and salt into the other bottles.

========

Shannon looked at the bottles and slowly took the red bottle. “How many drops do I need to make it pink?” she asked Jenny. Jenny smiled, “Just two”. Shannon squeezed two drops of food coloring into the batter and mixed it with the electric mixer.

Shannon started smelling something weird in the batter, “Something smells weird…” Jenny stared at the bottle, Dang, I only put in a few drops of vinegar and she can still smell it, she smiled, “Oh, that’s how this food coloring is like. The smell is only temporary; it’ll go away after you bake it.

Jenny turned and saw Zelo mixing the icing for the cake, “We should add some color to that,” she smiled. Zelo looked at the tiny bottles in the box, “What color was the cake?” “Shannon made it light pink. I think we should make the icing a darker pink.” Jenny suggested and held out the red bottle to him.

Zelo took the bottle and examined it, “How many drops do I need?” Jenny looked at the bowl of icing and held out her fingers, “Five drops!” Zelo squeezed five drops into the icing and continued mixing.

Jenny put the food coloring back into her purse. She smirked at the cake that Shannon had just put in the oven before going to the girls watching TV in the living room.

Mylinh saw Jenny come out from the kitchen and she jumped off the couch, “Jenny unnie! Is the cake done yet? I can’t wait to eat Shannon’s cake!” Jenny smiled, “It’s in the oven right now.”

Daehyun punched his fist into the air, “CAKEEEEE!!!~~~” Jenny smirked, Everyone’s going to be so disappointed when they taste Shannon’s cake. Then, Zelo can see that Shannon’s not the perfect girl that he thought.

Twenty minutes later, the cake cooled down after being taken out of the over, so Shannon started to put on the icing. Zelo went out to the living room, “The cake is almost done. Shannon’s icing the cake right now.”

Daehyun, Fatima, and Mylinh surrounded him with questions, “Is the cake really good?” “Is it pretty?~” “The cake must be REALLY BIG huh?” Han started laughing, “Oh my gosh, why did you have to emphasize ‘REALLY BIG’?”

Zelo grinned, “I’m sure the cake will be delicious!” Jenny smirked, her eyes still on the TV, Yes… it will be very delicious… she thought sarcastically. She got up and went into the kitchen to see the cake.

Shannon finished decorating the cake when Jenny walked in. She gave Jenny a smile, “I’m done~” Jenny gasped, “Wow, that cake looks beautiful!” Too bad it won’t taste as good as it looks. Shannon smiled and went to put away the decorating bag.

Jenny took the cake, “I’ll bring the cake out to the table, you bring the plates.” Shannon nodded and took a stack of paper plates from the cupboard and plastic forks, then followed after Jenny.

Jenny called everyone to the table, “Shannon’s cake is done.” Everyone ran to the table and waited to get their slice of cake. Daehyun was really excited, “Cake!!!” The girls were really anticipating the cake. Shannon sat down next to Zelo when Jenny offered to cut the cake.

Mylinh looked around the table, “Where’s Himchan?” Yongguk pointed to his room, “He’s still napping.” Mylinh went into his room to wake him up. A few minutes later, everyone saw Himchan running to the table, yelling, “OKAY LET’S CAKE”.

Jenny passed the plates around the table until everyone had a slice of cake. “Wow, just enough cake for all of us,” Jongup said pointing to the empty dish where the cake used to be. Youngjae laughed, “If Jimmy came then there wouldn’t be enough cake for him.”

Daehyun started eating his cake first. He scooped a piece of cake with icing and put it in his mouth. He started chewing then stopped, staring at the cake in his plate. Shannon was really nervous, “Daehyun oppa? How’s the cake?” she was really worried. Daehyun would eat anything, so seeing his expression made her really nervous.

Daehyun took some icing onto his fork and it, Did I really taste vinegar?... he looked at Shannon and smiled, “It’s really good!” Shannon sighed in relief. Zelo smiled, I knew it would be good~

Everyone started eating their slices. Shannon ate a piece and froze, Is this vinegar?! Since when did I put any vinegar in here- “SHANNON!! WHY DO I SMELL VINEGAR?!” Youngjae yelled out. She just stared at her cake, Vinegar? What?

Yongguk smacked the back of his head. Youngjae put his hand where he was hit and turned to Yongguk, “What, hyung? It’s true! Don’t you smell vinegar in here?” Yongguk gave him a look and whispered roughly, “It’s her first time making a cake. Can’t you be any less critical?” Youngjae pouted, “Well, she deserves to know…”

Yongguk was going to smack him again but Youngjae leaned away from him. Everyone else at the table could also taste the vinegar, especially in the icing, but they didn’t say anything. Even though no one said anything else about the vinegar, Shannon could tell that they can taste the vinegar from their facial expressions.

Zelo stared at this icing on his plate as he chewed on the cake, I made the icing, but I don’t remember putting any vinegar in… Jenny could see that no one was really enjoying the cake, “So how’s the cake, everyone?”

They all gave each other looks as Shannon lowered her head while looking around the table nervously. Yongguk spoke up, “It tasted great. It’s just… the icing had a little vinegar taste in it…” he said trying to sound as nice as possible.

Zelo turned to Shannon and shook his head, “Don’t listen to Yongguk hyung. The cake tasted wonderful!~” he said and finished the rest of his cake, not wanting to hurt Shannon’s feelings.

Jenny curiously looked at Zelo, Why would he do that?! Shannon dropped her head into her arms on the table, “I’m a failure…” she muttered. Jenny pretended to comfort her by putting an arm over her shoulder and whispered, “This is a good start for a first cake, Shannon. It’s alright if you can’t cook as well as me.” This made Shannon feel even worse, Thanks a lot, Jenny…

Mylinh and Fatima looked at each other and turned to Shannon, “But Shannon makes other foods really good!” Han and Gizelle joined them, “Yeah, everything you cook is delicious!” Minutes later, the entire table started complimenting Shannon’s cooking, which cheered her up a lot.

Jenny kept chewing on the cake, no matter how much she hates vinegar; I can’t believe they would defend her like that.

Jenny finished her cake and looked up, “Zelo, Himchan, Mylinh, Shannon, do you guys want to go on a triple date with me and Jimmy at the mall tomorrow?” Mylinh grinned, “Jenny unnie is going with Jimmy?~ YAY! I wanna go! Himchan let’s go!” she tugged on Himchan’s arm. He laughed, “Okay, we’ll go. What time are we going?” “At 11am. Meet me in the parking lot.” Jenny said.

Zelo turned to Shannon and smiled, “Do you want to go?” Shannon smiled and nodded. Jenny smirked and stood up from her seat, “Well I have to go now. I need to clean up the house before I go tomorrow.” Yongguk stood up to walk her to the door.